• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Re: 2009 Shute Shield

naza said:
Cutter said:
naza said:
Moses said:
For Eastwood, Season 2009 is all about returning to the summit of Shute Shield rugby, a summit they last reached in 2006 when they claimed the First Grade Premiership with a 17-10 Grand Final victory over Sydney University.

Josh Dunning at lock ? That tight 5 won't cut it if they want to crack the semi's.

Manly have a new centre pairing and #8 I haven't heard of. I hope they're dynamic athletes - Manly had bugger all in attack last season.

Anybody know why neither Jenkins brother is turning out for Uni ?

He is Cliffy Palu's cousin and FOB. http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/wallabies-here-i-come/

Fantastics news and thanks for the info Cutter.

Exactly what the Marlins need - some go forward. At 6'1" and 120 kgs he sounds more like a prop, so the ELVs could be a challenge.

Anyway, none of it matters because this is the Year of the Beast !!

Naza have you seen how the big unit is going?

P

PhucNgo

mark_s said:
The usual 2 * 2cms of column space appeared in the local paper yesterday outlining Southen Districts chances this year. Apparently they have recruited some former leaguies (although I didn't recongise the names). Also have Chris Anderson (of NRL fame) on the coaching staff. I hope they start getting some sort of results this year as otherwise I can see them withering away.

He was coaching Rugby in Wales until the team, whose name escapes me, ran into financial difficulties. He was coaching there sought of incognito after he was ditched by the Misogynists (aka Bulldogs).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

PhucNgo said:
mark_s said:
The usual 2 * 2cms of column space appeared in the local paper yesterday outlining Southen Districts chances this year. Apparently they have recruited some former leaguies (although I didn't recognise the names). Also have Chris Anderson (of NRL fame) on the coaching staff. I hope they start getting some sort of results this year as otherwise I can see them withering away.
He was coaching Rugby in Wales until the team, whose name escapes me, ran into financial difficulties. He was coaching there sought of incognito after he was ditched by the Misogynists (aka Bulldogs).

Chris Anderson comes from a staunch RL background at MBC Forbes. Bullfrog Moore spotted him at an early age and signed him up for the Bulldogs while Chris was still a schoolboy. In fact Chris moved in with the Moores to finish his schooling in Sydney, resulting in a romance with one of Bullfrog's daughters which ended in marriage. Funnily enough he's always had a fascination with rugby, God knows from where; I've often noticed him on the grassy banks at Forshaw when the Pirates play Souths. He invariably never misses a Tahs game at the SFS. He coached the Newport Gwent Dragons for one year but wasn't offered an extension.

PN, the Welsh team which got into financial difficulties was the fifth team, the Celtic Warriors. They no longer exist.

PS. Chris and my younger brother were in the same class for about six years.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Solid showing this afternoon by Norths over Easts. I don't really know the Norths players but their openside had a blinder. They won by 20-7 after it looked early on as if Easts were going to to dominate.

This game did show the flaws of the ELV's though - the ball spent shitload a lot of time in the air.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)

Blue said:
Solid showing this afternoon by Norths over Easts. I don't really know the Norths players but their openside had a blinder. They won by 20-7 after it looked early on as if Easts were going to to dominate.

This game did show the flaws of the ELV's though - the ball spent shitload a lot of time in the air.

Watching the progress of Gordon- the only Shute team without a contracted Waratah. Now have 3 out of 3 wins- they obviously have some depth also, when you look at the hiding their Colts 1s & 2s handed out to the Rats.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

Blue said:

The ELVs are a crime against humanity. A short arm penalty essentially rewards the infringing defending side, as they get to reset their defensive line. Seriously losing interest in watching club rugby as 90% of it is watching a bloke referee.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Mark Cashman was talking up Norths #7 Sam Latinipulu in the latest club podcast. Saying he was good enough for a pro contract. He is that good or is Cashman biased? Should the Reds sign him?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Noddy said:
Mark Cashman was talking up Norths #7 Sam Latinipulu in the latest club podcast. Saying he was good enough for a pro contract. He is that good or is Cashman biased? Should the Reds sign him?

I admit it's the first time I've seen him but he looks a very good footballer. Looked a class above most the forwards. Very quick around the park, carries the ball well and is a real nuggety sort of player.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

Noddy said:

They could do worse. He had a blinder and singlehandedly killed Easts on the weekend albeit they did play like zombies and have slugs in the loosies. Not sure Sam has the size just yet to play S14 - I'd say he's <95 kgs and 5 feet 10 max. He's still a kid, could fill out some more but you gotta like his knack for pilfering, reading play and all round energy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

West Harbour need to drop their hooker.

His name is far too boring for that front row.

West Harbour: 1.Campese Ma'afu, 2. Todd Pearce, 3. Reg de Jager

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)

Well a couple of turnups yesterday. Sydney Uni being solidly beaten by Sthn Districts- for Souths first win of season. Uni's first loss.
Manly & Gordon remain the only unbeaten teams.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

Was going to go down and watch Easts Randwick today but couldnt get out of work. Was it just for ANZAC day or is the Shute Shield not on ABC1 anymore?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

the gambler said:
Was going to go down and watch Easts Randwick today but couldnt get out of work. Was it just for ANZAC day or is the Shute Shield not on ABC1 anymore?

Just for ANZAC day.

The glorious Easts Beasts thumped the shit out of those scumbags from Randwick (32-17 ?). We defended well and they had no answer to our big forwards hitting the fringe of the ruck and offloading.

Randwick are seriously lacking in dynamic attacking players, they really don't have the line break magicians they traditionally have.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

I need to read all the info above as I have been a bit out of the loop since my computer crashed and had to rely on the paper.

The good news in Sydney club rugby is that yesterday Southern Districts, the wooden spooners from last year, beat the premiers, Sydney University 33-21.

Before we get too excited, Uni is very beatable in the first half of the season before they get all their players back from Super14 squads. I saw Uni this year in the National Club Championship, which was the curtain raiser to the Tahs v Crusaders game, and I didn't know a lot of the players because they had a lot of 2nd graders and Colts playing.

No doubt the Brisbane team, who won with a terrific 2nd half, had S14 players missing too, but the point is that if you want to beat Uni you have to do it by the end of May because they don't lose too many after that.

Went to see Manly, the blue filth, beat my Rats 17-10 yesterday. They deserved the win in a good quality game. Rumour is that a few Force players will be allowed to play in Sydney after the S14 and that Fardy, who had a stint over there has done a bit of recruiting on behalf of the club.

There weren't too many standouts in the game but the Oz 7s player, 13 Brian Sefanaia, had a few bursting runs for Manly, and although their 15 Adam D'Arcy wasn't as dynamic as he was in some of the games I saw last year, you can see why the Force are interested in him. With Staniforth, Giteau and Mitchell moving on and the Rabbit unsure, and given the Force's penchant for moving players around to get the best guys on the park, I could see D?rcy doing well in the S14 after a year of apprenticeship.

Was interested in seeing Manly winger Leon Bott play live for the first time since I saw him for NSW Schools against Ireland at Cranbrook 5 years ago. The play didn't go his way but one thing I know for sure is that he hasn't got any taller. Josh Gamgee, the Manly 10, looked pretty handy and could be pencilled in somewhere as a S14 3rd stringer.

Was looking forward to seeing 1 Salesi Manu and 8 Topou Iongi, Cliffy Palu's cousin, play for Manly in 2nd grade, but they played at 12 noon (with the Colts ones playing in the main curtain raiser) and I missed the game. Cliffy said that cuz was better than he was at the same age but he's 23 now and Cliffy didn't play a lot of 2nd grade.

The youg Kennedy twins at 10 and 15 for the Rats looked promising but coach McKee needs to slap them aroung the chops a few times to get the low percentage plays out of their game. Sam Harris was the Rats main kicker, both for goal and distance, but he didn't have the happiest day.

Beau Robinson seemed to be in pretty good form for the Rats, despite being overlooked this year by the Tahs. With Waugh re-signing, I wouldn't be surprised to see him going elsewhere.

Manly looked a handy side and much better than last year when they had a horror start to the season. The Rats have won only 2 out of 5 now and will have to pick up the pace. Brett Sheehan may not be the best S14 or international player of all time but the Rats miss him big time at this level, where he rocks.

H

hi-jinks

The Chosen said:
Blue said:

Watching the progress of Gordon- the only Shute team without a contracted Waratah. Now have 3 out of 3 wins- they obviously have some depth also, when you look at the hiding their Colts 1s & 2s handed out to the Rats.

Yes The Chosen, the mighty Highlanders will embarrass many teams later in the season that will be full of "Stars".
Presto, Harvey and Vinnie Byrne is a good mix at club level. Vinnie is a tough little bugger, he was the Brett Sheehan mentor and Sheehan knows his place (beneath Vinnie!).
The Highlanders defence was awesome last year and will only get better. Lots of pride at Gordon and they are enjoying the fact none of their players are playing rep footy.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

naza said:
the gambler said:

Just for ANZAC day.

The glorious Easts Beasts thumped the shit out of those scumbags from Randwick (32-17 ?). We defended well and they had no answer to our big forwards hitting the fringe of the ruck and offloading.

Randwick are seriously lacking in dynamic attacking players, they really don't have the line break magicians they traditionally have.

How did the big Rat go?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

fatprop said:
naza said:
the gambler said:

Just for ANZAC day.

How did the big Rat go?

He had a poor game by his standards but backed up in support well enough to score 2 tries. Is clearly not close to being fully fit and lacking his normal power in contact. His habit of coming off his wing defensively is as poor and worrying as his cousin's.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)

Lee Grant said:
The good news in Sydney club rugby is that yesterday Southern Districts, the wooden spooners from last year, beat the premiers, Sydney University 33-21.

Before we get too excited, Uni is very beatable in the first half of the season before they get all their players back from Super14 squads. I saw Uni this year in the National Club Championship, which was the curtain raiser to the Tahs v Crusaders game, and I didn't know a lot of the players because they had a lot of 2nd graders and Colts playing.

The win is the sports story of the week down here in the shire (getting double the coverage of the NRL sharks and dragons put together). The local rag is even claiming that Souths have 10 first graders out with injury and S14 representation so the sky is the limit when they are back to full strength! But why stop there, Souths are apparently also in the running to sign one D Mitchell although its unclear if they would have a position for him so he may have to earn his stripes in 2nds.

ITs been a long time between victories!

Status
Not open for further replies.