• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sevens Lead In and Olympics 2024

Serge

Fred Wood (13)
It will be interesting to see how the boys go in Fiji this Sunday morning, particularly any of the new boys getting a run such as Burey and Nawaqanitawase before the Olympic squad is announced. Not sure if Toole is also going to get a run as he was not announced in the initial squad.

Interesting news that RA want to move the Womens Sevens program to Ballymore, but will be looking for Govt financial support to make it happen.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It will be interesting to see how the boys go in Fiji this Sunday morning, particularly any of the new boys getting a run such as Burey and Nawaqanitawase before the Olympic squad is announced. Not sure if Toole is also going to get a run as he was not announced in the initial squad.

Interesting news that RA want to move the Womens Sevens program to Ballymore, but will be looking for Govt financial support to make it happen.

Fiji won two games 19-5 and 22-12 yesterday. Not sure about today

Serge

Fred Wood (13)
The Women's A and B teams had good hit outs at Ballymore today, against Japan and Fiji. No further injuries as far as I could see.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Pools with SVNS Rankings attached

Mens

POOL APOOL BPOOL C
New Zealand - 3Argentina - 1Fiji - 6
Ireland - 2Australia - 4France - 5
South Africa - 7Samoa - 11USA - 9
Japan - DNCKenya - DNCUruguay - DNC

Womens
POOL APOOL BPOOL C
New Zealand -1Australia - 2France - 3
Fiji - 6Ireland - 7USA - 4
Canada - 5Great Britain - 8Japan - 9
China - DNCSouth Africa - 11Brazil - 10

DNC - did not compete

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
How do the finals work? Do four go through or six?
There are quarter-finals, so it's likely the same as the SVNS series. Top two plus the best two third-place teams.

In the men's comp there is a whole day between the quarters and semis which is a bit different to normal

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
1719212341582.png

4th ACL this year is fairly devestating

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
That seems like the best possible outcome for both our teams.
? Men's draw looks to me like a dog's breakfast. Australia ranked 4 up against the No 1 ranked side while Pool C has the 5th and 6th ranked sides as the best in that group.

Whatever happened to 1, 6, 7, 12 (Pool A) ; 2, 5, 8, 11 (Pool B); and 3, 4, 9, 10 (Pool C) arrangement?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Watched the girls at Ballymore on Saturday (I saw Fiji v Japan, Aus 2nds v Fiji and Aus v Japan). Looked strong but a little heavy legged. I'd imagine they trained through and will taper closer to the tournament. Caslick and M Levi rested.

Japan were better than expected. Very physical and no quit in them.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
? Men's draw looks to me like a dog's breakfast. Australia ranked 4 up against the No 1 ranked side while Pool C has the 5th and 6th ranked sides as the best in that group.

Whatever happened to 1, 6, 7, 12 (Pool A) ; 2, 5, 8, 11 (Pool B); and 3, 4, 9, 10 (Pool C) arrangement?
Argentina has come off the boil quite a bit of late and France are current champions while Fiji is Fiji.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
World Rugby news release stated the seeds were based on

The 12 men’s and 12 women’s teams were allocated to three pools of four teams based on their rankings due to performances over the last two years of the HSBC SVNS Series, Challenger Series and other World Rugby-sanctioned tournaments

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think it's either or, the reporting is just all about Nawaqanitawase because he's the headline name. As far as I'm aware Toole's inclusion was pretty much locked in before this camp, given his pace and history in the game.