• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Semi Final 1: Blues vs Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

International Badboy

Boys at this rate ill be pulling on number 22 and taking the field

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Blues are favorites, that is for sure, but I'd also say there is a pretty big weight of expectation on them too.

If the Waratahs can pull together and maintain their excellent defensive team effort they might be able to grind out some points through the forwards, and there is also the mercurial brilliance of Beale.

If the match was against the Crusaders, Sharks, Stormers I couldn't imagine the Tahs would have a chance, but the Blues on an off day is possible. Obviously the Blues on a good day could embarass us pretty thoroughly.

Nil all at kick off. 22 Vs 22. Anything is possible, and if they do pull it off then the comp really is game on. Chris Hickey has a big job this week - he isn't playing, but it will take a lot from him as well as the players to pull off a win.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Tahs have performed well over the last month, IMO they have had more form than the blues. We all know that the blues are a hot and cold team. I think the gameplan from Hickey will be very tight even though we are missing some front rowers. Gain ascendency at the tackle contest and hopefully the scrum and lineout. Be patient. Kick goals. Basically use the FORCE gameplan. Turner and Ioesi are in form at the moment so they should handle the kick returns well. If it wasn't played in Auckland I would tip the Tahs. Homeground to trump recent form in this one. I will tip the blues but barrack like a mad dog for the Tahs.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Doe's the tahs injury crisis have anything to do with all the 'bulking-up' they did in the pre season?

Not an accusation, just a question. I am not an expert on the issue but i'm sure someone here is....

Z

Zeno

Pre fabricated excuses. You are going to field 15 players like your opposition. Just go out and give it hell.

The bolded bit is objectionable, dumb and inflammatory. Injury issues going into the finals is a valid topic for consideration.

G

GC

Waugh will attempt to win it by force of will alone if this is potentially his last game. I'd expect the Tahs to lift massively, injuries and all. The forward pack is still strong, Carter is in good form and KB (Kurtley Beale) is in awesome form. Tahs aren't favorites but I still wouldn't be surprised to see them take it.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think that the Tah's injury list is a fair point to mention. They have missed a lot of guys for a lot of games and managed to come 5th in a hard competition. They do have a couple of things in their favor though.
1) they are playing the Blues who have managed to looses quite a few games in recent weeks and are missing a few players themselves
2) Phil Waugh will scare the rest of the team into playing out of their skin in fear of letting him down and being the reason that he had to play his last game for NSW at Eden Park

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
There's one issue with it being the KB (Kurtley Beale) show: he'll likely be at 10. It has only been the KB (Kurtley Beale) show this year when he's been at fullback. I actually think the loss of Hangers may be worse than TPN, because it meant that KB (Kurtley Beale) moved to 10 from 15.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
There's one issue with it being the KB (Kurtley Beale) show: he'll likely be at 10. It has only been the KB (Kurtley Beale) show this year when he's been at fullback. I actually think the loss of Hangers may be worse than TPN, because it meant that KB (Kurtley Beale) moved to 10 from 15.

Ash - Good call. KB (Kurtley Beale) at fullback is world class, at 5/8 he's not first choice at S15 level.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ash - Good call. KB (Kurtley Beale) at fullback is world class, at 5/8 he's not first choice at S15 level.

Agreed, but I have a feeling you won't be saying that in 2 or 3 years time. For a Semi Final he is not ideal, however we must remember that he is a freak and so anything can happen. Luckily enough for the Tahs, the Blues have equally, if not worse injuries to key players.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
After watching the Tahs play the Brumbies from the nosebleed section at ANZ on Saturday night I have to say that their defensive effort was outstanding and they controlled the play very well to the point that I was forgetting when, or if, the Brumbies ever had the ball.

My only concern is the injury problem they have after putting in what I would say was their best effort of the year. The players they are missing will hurt them and whilst you can practice for weeks at training the possible combinations, it's not until you get into a proper match scenario can you measure the success of them.

It's now time for them to prove they are contenders by putting in back-to-back efforts that are worthy of them being called Champions, especially after they have only beaten 1 side higher on the ladder than them so far this season but admittedly have gone close in some of them.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Who are Tahs meant to be flying with and when? No Trans-Tasman flights for Qantas tomorrow due to the Ash cloud.

Elfster

Alex Ross (28)
So not only the injury Gods conspiring against them, but also the volcano Gods. All we need now is for the game to be totally officiated by Kiwi officialdom.....

Regardless of how they go though congratulations must be given to them...they have shown character to get where they have. That has to be respected. And that thought would also be said of the Blues..both sides showing great character. They may be down with injuries, but their spirit is up there. It is almost cliche producing! Though I fear that after this game, both sides may have done their dash.

But well done to them.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
So not only the injury Gods conspiring against them, but also the volcano Gods. All we need now is for the game to be totally officiated by Kiwi officialdom.....

Nearly:
Friday 24 June: Blues vs Waratahs, Eden Park, Auckland at 19h35 (17h35 EST,0935 SA)

Referee: Chris Pollock
AR 1: Stuart Dickinson
AR 2: Glen Jackson
TMO: Vinny Munro

Status
Not open for further replies.