• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Semi Final 1: Blues vs Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
HUGE blow to the Tahs with Baxter, TPN and Hangers all out. Beale shifts to 10 while Elvis Taione comes onto the bench.

Blues are solid favourites now. Surely the Tahs can't win a final away from home without their first choice 2,3,8,10,11,13,16,17?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well here's a list of the unavailables for this week;

Kepu, TPN, Baxter, Ryan, Vickerman, Mowen(?), McCutcheon, Palu, Barnes, Mitchell, Halangahu, Horne, BKH(?), Fitzpatrick

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hmm, I would say completely dorked are the Tahs.
Close to full strength would trouble the Blues. I can't imagine they will without those players, or at least some of them.
Bugger.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well here's a list of the unavailables for this week;

Kepu, TPN, Baxter, Ryan, Vickerman, Mowen(?), McCutcheon, Palu, Barnes, Mitchell, Halangahu, Horne, BKH(?), Fitzpatrick

That team could almost run on and compete. amazing level of injury. Either extremely unlucky or something is wrong with the S&C.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Would you have the same attitude if the boot was on the other foot?

Yes most certainly. The Blues have their own injury battles also. If you are refering to the Reds as the other foot, they have had there injury concerns also and yes they haven't used it as an excuse. All I am saying is go and give it hell. If they want it bad enough they will pull it off.

D

daz

Pre fabricated excuses. You are going to field 15 players like your opposition. Just go out and give it hell.

Bit harsh Ruggo. If the Reds were without such starting ammo, I'd probably feel a bit fatalistic.

Having said that, I agree whole-heartedly with the last part; give 'em hell Tahs. I'm with you!

For this week, anyway....

:)

R

RuckinGoodStats

Someone asked me on Twitter and I looked on the Blues website, but the Tahs v Blues goes the way of home advantage except in 2009 when Blues lost at home. In 2003, 1999 & 1997 Blues won away

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Bit harsh Ruggo. If the Reds were without such starting ammo, I'd probably feel a bit fatalistic.

Having said that, I agree whole-heartedly with the last part; give 'em hell Tahs. I'm with you!

For this week, anyway....

:)

Yeah, the Reds are were only missing their first choice 7, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 in the last game - they've got it easy. But the benefit of finishing top 2 is they now are likely to have 11, 12 and 13 back for their next game. Unfortunately they have added their first choice 3 to the injury list.

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
Heck, another week, another fistful of key players to replace. I am proud of the play NSW has continued to "give them hell" this year. Hell, even made the finals. Showed a lot more mental steel, and depth, than in 2007. I know it is a contact sport and all but some assessment of the injuries' sustained by the Tahs this year must be conducted post-season.

To those questioning excuses and the injuries of other teams - in Barnes; TPN; Waugh; Palu; Mitchell and Horne, NSW have lost all (bar Beale) of their most important players for, at least, chucks of the season. Imagine your Super team, without 6 key players, now add to that players of the equivalent importance of: Fitzpatrick; Mowen; McCutheon; Cross; BKH; Halangahu; Douglas and Kepu. Ouch!

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Wow, I actually feel for the Tahs here. Terrible injury toll. I do think it's a bit silly adding Vickerman to the missing list though - just purposely padding it out.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Pre fabricated excuses. You are going to field 15 players like your opposition. Just go out and give it hell.

And if the Reds were missing Fainga'a, Hanson, Slipper, Holmes, Wallace-Harrison, Higgers, Samo, Gill, Cooper, Harris, Ioane, A. Fainga'a and Tapuai you would not hear an end to the wailing!

The Waratahs will front up and give it everything they've got. But the Blues will be at unbackable odds - some of our team won't even have met before this week and are not even in the wider training squad.

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeah, the Reds are were only missing their first choice 7, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 in the last game - they've got it easy. But the benefit of finishing top 2 is they now are likely to have 11, 12 and 13 back for their next game. Unfortunately they have added their first choice 3 to the injury list.

I understand what your saying, but it is a one-off game and their injuries have not continued to plague their season. Interesting to note the game approach taken by QLD in the Chiefs' game once they had suffered a couple off injuries. Compare the brand of rugby NSW have been (forced) playing (to play) this year.

D

daz

And I was a bit fatalistic in that game too. I am by no means defending the Tahs, but while each team had significant players out, there is a difference between the last Reds "group" game and the Tahs final, and much more riding on the outcome.

The Reds will be in a much stronger position come next weekend.

Anyway, forgetting this needless argument about who has the biggest injury list/ego/penis/excuse, my best wishes go to the Tahs this weekend. We can start up the insult game between the Reds and Tahs next week.

For now, go get 'em boys.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, the Reds are were only missing their first choice 7, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 in the last game - they've got it easy.

Come on it's a bit different don't you think? Backs are much easier to replace than piggies imo. Not to mention your 7 is up there as first-choice now. But that's credit to your squad..

I'm not sure how you guys would handle missing Daley, Fainga'a, Slipper, Samo, Higgers, Beau in one game along with key outside backs and a two 10s.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Tah's to win this one. Blues have been pretty shit to be honest, all fallen apart since Toeava got injured.

Although that's one hell of an injury list for the Tah's, they gave the Brumbies a solid flogging. So they certainly aren't that shit.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think it is an issue of number of injuries or positions per se, but the fact that they are the Tahs key players. Before the start of the season if asked who the Tahs 6 most important players were I would answer Beale, Barnes, Waugh, Palu, Mitchell, TPN. Robinson and Kepu would probably be the next two in line. To think that Beale is the only player of those 6 that has not missed significant game time says it all.

If I was to name the Reds 6 key players I would answer Cooper, Genia, Horwill, Ioane, Higgers and Slipper. All six of those players have played the bulk of the season, with only Slipper missing more than a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.