• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Masterdebator

Frank Row (1)
Last in cricket, last in rowing…
The football result is solid but crowing about fringe sports is a stretch.
Football is the most played GPS sport, not exactly a "fringe" sport. The likes of Grammar haven't won a major sporting premiership in 1sts (basketball, football, cricket, rugby, rowing) since 2005. It is commendable to see their rugby, and especially rowing, programs do much better and hope High could be the same.

Rowing and rugby are sports that need much more financial investment and are honestly not that large outside of schoolboy football. In order to bridge the institutional gap, High needs to change their admission policy as their only option. GPS schools have the financial appeal for students for scholarships and no matter how much they deny it, will always be given to sportsmen. Additionally, this isn't mentioning how they still remain competitive in athletics and swimming, especially to the analogous Grammar. Other schools own swimming pools and running tracks whilst High has absolutely nothing.

In cricket, High is generally alright (look at 5th in 2021) and won the David Smith cup in 2023, clearly not the best but still at a level that could compete. In general, sport at high is largely periodic and dependant on the personnel within cohorts. It's why they often are very good or very bad in certain sports (I don't think any school is as dominant in say volleyball or fencing).

Reactions: Syd

CasualObserver

Sydney Middleton (9)
I wouldn't be expecting too much out of the cricket this year. In the 2nd XI, only three batsmen managed to pass 100 runs from the 14 game season. As a team they were defeated with a bonus point in 12 out of 14 games, which in is fair effort given the bar for a bonus point is set pretty high.

Last edited:

Joker

Staff member
At Joeys year 7 is the smallest cohort. Unlike other schools, Joeys starts with a small intake and each year new students arrive with the biggest intake normally yr 11. By the time the cohort gets to year 12 they have grown by at least 70 students.

NOW. Joeys limit player numbers for football. Normally under age year groups can have up to three teams. BUT they do not get the numbers so some years you may find just a 15A team. By the time they hit year 12 there are well 200 boys in the opens (y11 and 12) so hence they can field more football and 13 rugby teams.

TheSmartGuyRises

Frank Row (1)
I believe that the big time commitment for cricket is a large reason barely anyone in the school base does the sport seriously. They're an academic school and therefore would prioritise their studies over 10 hours in the sun.

The rowing problem, as many have commented on in forum before it was removed, is down to the coaching and type of student who goes to High. Think of the smartest kids in your primary, were they big or strong or fit? Those are the kind of kids who go to High. This also applies to rugby.

However, rugby also faces a unique issue when it comes to getting people to play the game. The large majority of the post 2015 cohorts have been predominantly asian. One of my mates was never allowed to play rugby because of his parents (if yk, yk).

If I recall correctly, High was also good at basketball at one point. But once again, information from the inside was that the principal stopped the MIC from recruiting players because the HSC rank was being negatively affected. Same for tennis. Water polo similar issue. They play a grade down. Ect. Ect

TheSmartGuyRises

Frank Row (1)
Certainly don't have the same numbers ending up in State or Schoolboys teams, but that's more a reflection on the lack of other schools playing rugby than anything else.
I can tell you first hand, the comp is good, but nothing extraordinary. Australian football is not the best, but there are certainly very good players and teams in the comp. Rowing/rugby/tennis are usually the highest quality comps in my opinion.

Masterdebator

Frank Row (1)
Is GPS football played at a high standard?
Not to the same scale of rugby and rowing, but that speaks to sports that are mostly played in schools and not as much outside of school. Their record against CAS and in the CIS cup is always commendable. If you think of the best footballers in the state, they all go to public sporting schools because it's the people's game and don't need daddy's money to play. On the other hand, rugby, and especially rowing, is nearly exclusive to private schools.

TheSmartGuyRises

Frank Row (1)
kinda off topic, but you know what they say about rugby and football:

"Football is a gentlemen's game played by hooligans and rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen."

- Winston Churchill