• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
ILTW 1
Doubters yet to score
The Vindictam version of events has been in circulation since before I joined the thread. I am not in a position to refute it but it is again hearsay and rumour.

The good news is we now have rules and a scoring system to measure this. But like the allowable number of GPS sports scholarships at any one time the exact criteria are a tad cloudy.

The point is not whether Scots have transgressed these "rules" but what are the GPS schools going to do to prevent it happening it again. If you assume there is fire and smoke then jobs will be lost and the lives of boys disrupted.

I admit it, I DOUBT whether they will do anything other than retire to their studies having successfully pulled someone into line. It is a short cut. Short cuts do not work. Rugby will not be the winner in this.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Sir Humphrey: Five, there’s the Charge of the Light Brigade excuse. It was an unfortunate lapse by an individual, which has now been dealt with under internal disciplinary procedures.

From the 5 Standard Excuses Used by all politicians

Perhaps more pertinent is excuse number 1 Anthony Blunt

That there is a perfectly satisfactory explanation for everything, but security forbids its disclosure

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
Perhaps more pertinent is excuse number 1 Anthony Blunt

That there is a perfectly satisfactory explanation for everything, but security forbids its disclosure
And the problem with 5 against one is that its harder to get 5 to say they had the facts wrong in public(easy to accuse hard to apologise), and that could be another reason why we will never hear anything. Things just go back to normal. How many will fire up with that comment- should go for another page or so

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
The independent report was to be tabled at the GPS heads meeting this week. Legal colleagues in Macquarie street tell me that this will unlikely as "The independent report needs to be vetted by the council after it brought to light some behaviors unsupported by the college administration." In short, heads will roll.
are you sure you don't write fiction novels , I am surprised colleagues of legal people can stretch things as much as you do

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Again, a post full of supposition and hearsay.

As usual plenty to say and I hope you didn't wear yourself out thinking of one reason. Try a bit harder, there are a lot more possibilities.

I am not defending anyone, especially since I do not have any facts (and lets face it I am not Robinson Crusoe). I will admit to attending a GPS game this year to watch the sons of a friend playing for a school I did not attend. I definitely saw a few in 1979. I am sure I have attended one in the last ten years but cannot remember exactly when.

Not that big a fan of GPS sport I am afraid. It is built up way too far which is probably why there has always been this issue in the first place.

As far as I am concerned anyone who claims any interest should be lobbying everyone they know to introduce a transparent and honest system whatever that may be. School bodies can then decide what they want their school to be.
So you don't really care about GPS sport in general,or Scots in particular.
But you believe strongly that the other Schools are just as guilty as the offending Schools, for allowing them to blatantly cheat.
But you also believe strongly, there is no evidence and thus no justification for any criticism,let alone sanctions.

Tobacco/mining industries spin 101.make a lot of noise,make some strong points,don't worry if they are contradictory.

FYI there is already a system in place,but it is based on honour.
Who would have thought institutions that trade on character building,would fail so dismally?

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
How can that be?
He says the report was tabled last week and that certain conclusions have been reached.
Your first post in this thread was on 22 September, the day you joined the site.
seriously think vindictam made up his comment about board, again allegations not proven, the only thing that concerns the board I am sure is that false allegations with no proof have been made by 5 jealous headmasters and a guy from the herald that wanted to build a story(buy not quoting any facts). Scots seem to be up there in everything lately- it must be hard for some people to swallow. But you can't have that many sports where.scholarships have been offered. They would have been premiers in Cricket I notice if they didn't miss a rain delayed game, that didn't affect the other front runners). I have to admit the more that was said about this the more I looked at it etc on aagps- they have had a great year across the board that has been steadily improving over recent years. Suggest its more about better coaches and school spirit than anything else. And know they have to battle rubbish thrown at them for doing a job well done.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
seriously think vindictam made up his comment about board, again allegations not proven, the only thing that concerns the board I am sure is that false allegations with no proof have been made by 5 jealous headmasters and a guy from the herald that wanted to build a story(buy not quoting any facts). Scots seem to be up there in everything lately- it must be hard for some people to swallow. But you can't have that many sports where.scholarships have been offered. They would have been premiers in Cricket I notice if they didn't miss a rain delayed game, that didn't affect the other front runners). I have to admit the more that was said about this the more I looked at it etc on aagps- they have had a great year across the board that has been steadily improving over recent years. Suggest its more about better coaches and school spirit than anything else. And know they have to battle rubbish thrown at them for doing a job well done.
This is a strange response.
I dont want to get into a slanging match about Scots because its not actually about them as far as I am concerned but I am happy to discuss my misgivings privately.
The point about vindictam's post is that it reports things that had only occurred in the last week so it cold hardly be the case that you had seen them reported on or prior to 22.9.2013.
More importantly for the site and this thread you have to assume until proven otherwise that people are honestly relating information they have received. Of course its hearsay - but even in a court of law hearsay is admissible to prove some things sometimes.
If you dont trust what people say then the site wont work. Exceptions may emerge but funnily enough people soon work them out.

fsrugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
again allegations not proven, the only thing that concerns the board I am sure is that false allegations with no proof have been made by 5 jealous headmasters

I can only assume you work at Scots - They are not False - not hearsay and not rumour - It is a FACT. I am happy for them to say 'we know we have broken the rules but so does everybody else (not that I would agree with 'everybody') but for them to say they have not broken the rules is just comical.

They would have been premiers in Cricket I notice if they didn't miss a rain delayed game, that didn't affect the other front runners).

You need to check your facts - As you all know I am not pro Newington - in my view their efforts this year in Rugby was worse than Scots efforts in Basketball (both atrocious) - however in Cricket they missed 2 games not one, and finished a close 3rd - and they beat Scots at BH in the last game of the year to deny Scots the GPS title. Shore, the premiers also missed a game - so both other front runners were affected - one worse.

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
This is a strange response.
I dont want to get into a slanging match about Scots because its not actually about them as far as I am concerned but I am happy to discuss my misgivings privately.
The point about vindictam's post is that it reports things that had only occurred in the last week so it cold hardly be the case that you had seen them reported on or prior to 22.9.2013.
More importantly for the site and this thread you have to assume until proven otherwise that people are honestly relating information they have received. Of course its hearsay - but even in a court of law hearsay is admissible to prove some things sometimes.
If you dont trust what people say then the site wont work. Exceptions may emerge but funnily enough people soon work them out.
to answer this and following thread. I only got into this because the argument seemed to be one way against Scots and it headmaster etc. After the things I read I thought some out there comments back the other way gives some balanced food for thought. I don't work for Scots but have been a student in a private school in Brisbane who went there in grade 10 and saw similar rubbish about ganging up on headmasters and schools that start doing well. I suppose we should start spreading rumours about Qlder origin side winning so much, has the coach or team been legal. As an qlder old boy I like fighting for underdogs when I read unproven things written about people who achieve . That's why I shaped after reading all this stuff, and I have seen plenty of things in papers that aren't all correct

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Moral vacuum? I am sorry "I don't like to think" but courage and integrity involves confronting the truth each and every time, not just when it suits you or you have figured that your mates outnumber theirs.

Which pretty much applies to the liker who has completely lost the plot. As I said I will be really interested in how these schools are judged by their own stakeholders when they choose to make such decisions based on hearsay and fancy. Trust? No balls.

You blokes should read what you write before you click.
I too, tried to have a break from this but when you come out with with this diatribe you must either
A: really really believe that everything is just ticketyboo in Bellevue Hill or
B: Blinded by the political spin that has been put on this. And as to Scaraby firing off, yes Scots bursary holders have been told to stay quiet Just ask. You may not like the answers you get though.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Dodgy, you suggest cricket is because of better coaches and spirit? May I suggest that you are so far off the mark that when the state governing body is involved... This is not better coaching.
As It has been stated again and again, World domination comes at a price. Who pays is another matter

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Dodgy, you suggest cricket is because of better coaches and spirit? May I suggest that you are so far off the mark that when the state governing body is involved. This is not better coaching.
As It has been stated again and again, World domination comes at a price. Who pays is another matter
And just so dodgy gets your drift: the 1st XI was not (and is not i was told on Saturday) without bursary boys.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
seriously think vindictam made up his comment about board, again allegations not proven, the only thing that concerns the board I am sure is that false allegations with no proof have been made by 5 jealous headmasters and a guy from the herald that wanted to build a story(buy not quoting any facts).

I find it interesting that someone in Brisbane, with apparently no connection to any Sydney AAGPS school, can be so definitive in their opinion.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I too, tried to have a break from this but when you come out with with this diatribe you must either
A: really really believe that everything is just ticketyboo in Bellevue Hill or
B: Blinded by the political spin that has been put on this. And as to Scaraby firing off, yes Scots bursary holders have been told to stay quiet Just ask. You may not like the answers you get though.
Brian wrong mate I'm not guessing. Noones been told to be quiet but i'm backing they don't run around advertising themselves(well the majority anyway,theres always a few as there are at Joeys Kings,New, etc etc)
.as for firing off..i'm not the ones screaming,just asking that you guys stop pretending to know stuff you don't...seems like the sources aren't very good.
the fore and agst here for all schools is very inaccurate at times so if sticking up for the facts is "firing off"..then boom..note I said Fore and Agst FOR ALL SCHOOLS

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Dodgy, you suggest cricket is because of better coaches and spirit? May I suggest that you are so far off the mark that when the state governing body is involved. This is not better coaching.
by the way how can you accuse me of firing off when everypost you place is anti Scots not schools in general and so acidic as well..maybe its not the proScots posters who have the agenda here Brian.