• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - Wallabies v Ireland - 17th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Has Deans miss the boat? Looking at the selection problems we're having replacing a winger when we have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JO'C, McCabe, Mitchell and with some people suggesting Horne something must be awry. We've got Drew Mitchell, potentially the best winger in the world pre-injury and yet we are hesitant to bring him straight into the starting side. Why is this? Quade Cooper's ghost-like defence. Clearly the main issue is not replacing Digby's attack, even if the replacement is less potent, but rather replacing him in defence. This is not a simple issue given Digby has spent the last 6 months (probably more) protecting Quade and no replacement for Digby will be as comfortable heading into the 10 channel instead of to their wing. Drew Mitchell hinted at his preference (in one of the podcasts) to being on the wing in defence rather than in the 10 channel as he believes the back 3 should be given every opportunity to counter-attack. Something which we might be seeing in the decline of Kurtley Beale as a counter attacking weapon from full back as he is moved to the wing due to Quade moving back. Has anyone else noticed how Kurtley has been less effective, with seemingly less space to move in this year?

So my question is, has dingo missed the boat? Are we stuck trying to cover Quade's inadequacies when Dingo should have dropped him last year and told him to learn how to tackle or f#ck off out of the 22? Sure it meant we would have had some games with Berrick at 10 and most likely JO'C at 12 (git's had already started to fall out of favour) but I would have seen this as a positive thing. We might have lost some tests but we would have a 10 who could defend, some time for Berrick at 10 as the main backup, some game time for JO'C at 12 which we all want to see and would also help his defence and most importantly we would have a team that would play like One Team, not One Team Protecting One Man.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the only people hesitant about bringing Mitchell back are people on this forum.

If Deans was hesitant in any way about Mitchell playing at the RWC, I don't think he would have selected him in the first place.

I'd be highly surprised if Deans hadn't been training other people to defend at 10 apart from Diggers.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the only people hesitant about bringing Mitchell back are people on this forum.

If Deans was hesitant in any way about Mitchell playing at the RWC, I don't think he would have selected him in the first place.

I'd be highly surprised if Deans hadn't been training other people to defend at 10 apart from Diggers.

If deans has been training someone else it has to be one of the wingers or the fullback. So who would you use?

KB (Kurtley Beale) - too much of an asset
JO'C - as above plus smaller although IMO a better defender than KB (Kurtley Beale)
Mitchell - no real game time, would be a bit of a gamble, doubt he's spent much time if any in the 10 channel in a real game situation like Digby has at Super Rugby and international level
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would have to be on the wing from the start which means you'd have Barnes/McCabe/Ant/Horne midfield (whichever combo of 2). This seems to be the best option for covering Digby in his capacity as a 10 defender and winger.
McCabe - I'm guessing this has to be one of the people practising defending 10 and playing on the wing but then how much do you lose having McCabe as a winger when you have attacking freaks like Mitchell and JO'C.

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
I tend to agree with Swat. I think it's ridiculous that the whole dynamic of the Wallabies backline has been changed to cover the fact that Quade Cooper can't tackle to save himself. Even when he is forced to defend at 10 after turnovers, he tries to tackles players like Richie McCaw around the shoulders. The first thing a 9 year old learns is that a person can't run without their legs; I knew Cooper didn't have much up top but he seems to not even be able to grasp this simple principle. It's obviously too late to do anything other than truck on with Cooper, but I hate that the burden of our RWC hopes rests solely on his shoulders, especially when he has shown that in the pressure games he can often lose his cool. It seems to me that he doesn't understand the concept of risk/reward at all, trying to offload/flick pass at every opportunity rather than just go to ground and recycle.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Amazing how you lose a winger and your biggest dilemma is who is going to defend at 10? If it's the same starting 15, with JOC (James O'Connor) or Mitchell in for Digby, you could just get everyone to move in one, push AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) into 13 and have QC (Quade Cooper) on the wing. Quite annoying though that this shuffle has to be entertained.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)

Now answer the same question if Quade could handle his own sh#t. Who would you replace Diggers with? Horne, an outside centre who despite his pace I haven't seen play in the back 3 at S14/15 and international level, infact i've only ever see him play at 13 or 12 even at club level.

You would pick Horne as a winger over Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor), 2 world class proven international winners? plus, if Horne is fit why wouldn't you put him straight to OC and move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing, god knows he's been struggling for form at OC.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's played wing for the Tahs a few times before. Ease him back through the wing, he runs Ioane's lines and has his strength in contact - he would smash people at the 10 channel.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
McCabe on the wing and defending at 10 is definitely an option. You could then play Berrick at 12.

I don't think Deans will be scared about giving Mitchell a shot at 11 and defending at 10 like Diggers has been. Whilst Shmoo might not consider defending at 10 as his preferred place in the team, I'm sure he will be very keen to be given an opportunity.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
A few times hardly warrants being placed on the wing against a world class Irish winger like Tommy Bowe, plus given that he effectively has to learn 2 positions he usually doesn't play in, also, is his kicking game strong enough if the conditions are wet?

You can go with Horne on the wing if you want but for me there are too many unknowns, or more specifically 'untesteds'.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
McCabe on the wing and defending at 10 is definitely an option. You could then play Berrick at 12.

Does McCabe's kicking game hold up if it's wet? I didn't see him kick much from 12 or 13 but if anyone watched the Brums a lot this year how did he go when on the wing/fb?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can you see Mitchell playing the full 80? We could be in for some grief if he isn't yet up to it.

Either way, I think we missed the boat on fixing quade and I hope it doesn't bite us bad come the Ireland

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I could throw ideas out like some of the ones suggested, but I think the reality is, Deans has two likely options he will choose.

A) 11-Ashley Cooper, 12-McCabe, 13- Fainga'a, 14- O'Connor
B) 11- Mitchell, 12-McCabe, 13- Ashley-Cooper, 14- O'Connor

I have the feeling he will use the first option, simply because of Mitchell's lack of a big game fitness (he will start against USA and Russia).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes. I think he will be fine for 80 minutes.

I thought he looked great for the Baa Baas on the 26th of August and will have had another three weeks to keep improving his fitness since then. Given his desire to return from injury and play in the RWC I think he will have been busting himself to get as fit as possible for the cup.

We could potentially go back to a 4/3 bench split for this game so we have extra backline cover just in case. I don't think it will be required though.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Just, play
10-quade
12-barnes
13-finger
14-AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Quade goes to wing everyone slots in one and has experience defending in that position anyway.
Drew on the other wing, he is there, play him.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
I could throw ideas out like some of the ones suggested, but I think the reality is, Deans has two likely options he will choose.

A) 11-Ashley Cooper, 12-McCabe, 13- Fainga'a, 14- O'Connor
B) 11- Mitchell, 12-McCabe, 13- Ashley-Cooper, 14- O'Connor

I have the feeling he will use the first option, simply because of Mitchell's lack of a big game fitness (he will start against USA and Russia).

B please.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I would go with A. Lets try and keep this team as stable as possible. Straight swap of Digby for JOC (James O'Connor), with Mitchell coming onto the bench. Keeps our backline stable and solid. I would prefer not to risk Drew against Ireland, wait and see how he performs against USA and the Ruskis.

Status
Not open for further replies.