• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: WAL v URU (Millenium) Pool D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Welsh commentator? He's lucky there wasn't an Uruguayan in the box with him - would've been able to tell the Welshie that, unlike Wales, they've at least won 2 world cups.
But if we'd beaten Israel the other week instead of a draw we'd be close to #2 in Fifa world rankings!

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah. that's not the same as winning a world cup though. ;)

But you're ranked 9th, which is surprising.
England 10, Australia 61, south africa 72 and nz 136. But rugby is national sport.

Whilst we're on the ranking thing. Have they fixed irb rankings so the team coming fourth in rwc doesn't plummet like we did putting us in group of death

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
England 10, Australia 61, south africa 72 and nz 136. But rugby is national sport.

Whilst we're on the ranking thing. Have they fixed irb rankings so the team coming fourth in rwc doesn't plummet like we did putting us in group of death

I found you comparing you to our "beloved" bafana bafana amusing.

We do the opposite here - compare everything that's shit to them. :D

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Sadly it's already the mauling world cup. I think every game has had at least one try from a rolling maul and some teams go to the maul from every lineout - in many cases looking for the penalty.

From what I've seen, referees only know 2 penalty infringements at the maul: 1 defending playing joining from the side, and
2 defending player/s collapsing

Nothing else is penalised.
Poite penalised Wales for offside, passing the ball back before the jumper had made contact with the opposition. Wales got smart after that.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
At least one ref is on to it.
Wales dealt with it very easily by explaining to Clouseau that they weren't passing the ball back to the tail until the catcher had made contact with a defender. I am biased though because I think the maul is a thing of beauty, as is a good maul defence.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wales dealt with it very easily by explaining to Clouseau that they weren't passing the ball back to the tail until the catcher had made contact with a defender. I am biased though because I think the maul is a thing of beauty, as is a good maul defence.

I'm generally neutral on it, but what I have seen recently is that sides in possession are being allowed to set the ball up illegally and join illegally, while defenders are being penalised on suspicion. The fact that so many teams have now embraced the maul seems to me to be a response to this.

IMO once the maul stops once, they've had the chance and should be told to use it. None of this it's stopped once, but you can have another go because you didn't get it right the first time. Attackers also need to be penalised for joining in front of the hindmost foot and referees need to apply the same decision making process for obstruction at mauls as they would if it happened in open play.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I'm generally neutral on it, but what I have seen recently is that sides in possession are being allowed to set the ball up illegally and join illegally, while defenders are being penalised on suspicion. The fact that so many teams have now embraced the maul seems to me to be a response to this.

IMO once the maul stops once, they've had the chance and should be told to use it. None of this it's stopped once, but you can have another go because you didn't get it right the first time. Attackers also need to be penalised for joining in front of the hindmost foot and referees need to apply the same decision making process for obstruction at mauls as they would if it happened in open play.
I think there is a lot of sloppy and dubious attacking maul play, but when it is done correctly it is one of the few aspects of the game that manages to legally create a bit of space for backs which is a good thing IMHO.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd like to see them go to the TMO when a maul try is scored. It would hopefully get rid of some of the ones that are quite blatantly illegal.

I definitely think truck and trailer ones can be very hard to adjudicate. There's a fine line between it being the defenders falling off the maul with some of the attackers and the attacking players progressing forward still being the original maul (and it being legal) and them splintering off away from the maul thus ending the maul and creating an obstruction.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^Certainly the vast majority are set up and executed illegally. Their growth in popularity suggests that coaches have seen the loophole, well before referees and administrators have noticed.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
When does a supplement become a PED?
Well wada is vclear on the matter. The ambiguity comes when political pressure is put on to make the cases go away like with lance Armstrong. Btw Australia is v v poor at dealing with the issue of drugs n sport too. One thing is for sure the first sign of something amiss comes with high injury rates. I'd take no pleasure being proved right on this

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
In the absence of a thread this will be Tim Cymru for Saturday and to be honest it's pretty much the team I'd pick cept for cuthbert.

Williams, Cuthbert, Williams, Roberts, North, Biggar, Davies; Jenkins, Owens, Lee, Charteris, AWJ, Lydiate, Faletau, Warburton

James, Baldwin, Francis, Davies, Tipuric, Phillips, Priestland, Amos

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
In the absence of a thread this will be Tim Cymru for Saturday and to be honest it's pretty much the team I'd pick cept for cuthbert.

Williams, Cuthbert, Williams, Roberts, North, Biggar, Davies; Jenkins, Owens, Lee, Charteris, AWJ, Lydiate, Faletau, Warburton

James, Baldwin, Francis, Davies, Tipuric, Phillips, Priestland, Amos
Which combination of Orc locks would you be happiest to see, CB? For me it would be Launchbury and Lawes that AWJ and Charteris can best out intellect. The most dangerous Orc combination would be Parling and Launchbury but I can't see him leaving out Lawes. I hope Lee is fit because I would love to see him hand Marler or the fat c'nt Vunipola their Arse. It looks like bandy legs is going to be ok and there are doubts over Joseph for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.