• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: SCO v JAP (Kingsholm) - Pool B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relance

Herbert Moran (7)
After a couple of days, I am still stunned by that Japanese victory. Can't get over it. Even though you want to understand how it could click so perfectly, even though you had been following them for a little while and knew about the quality of the coaching staff, the Super Rugby players or the rising level of the Top League, you don't want to be part of that bandwagon of self-proclaimed Eddie Jones exegetes giving you their unerring teaching about how the physios, the psychologist, Pep Guardiola, the team's mascot or a new shochu variety distilled from Shota Horie's armpits sweat made them deliver the way they did.

Not that the game shouldn't be analysed at length, far from it: I think it was Chris McCracken who pointed out rightly that some of EJ (Eddie Jones)'s patterns of play are very legible. But that victory is irreducible to even the best of video analyses. There was, there is still something entirely irrational about it, a set of shared beliefs that morally united the players that day; the enabling factors, the environment conducive to that performance may be explained. But why it broke out then and there is that touch of mystery that has just made the game of rugby a little more captivating for me.

Back to the game. I am still stunned by that Japanese victory. I can't imagine how the players must feel: they're the underage nerd Fogell-turned-25 yo Hawaiian organ donor McLovin, who bangs the hottest chick at the party. FFS they can't even get to the training field without having the local college students forming a guard of honour ! As meticulous as EJ (Eddie Jones) might be, I doubt he ever planned for this. I'd be less concerned about their physical recovery than I'd be about their emotional state tbh. If that was France playing after such a feat, I'd put all my savings on whoever they'd be facing, in a heartbeat. I believe that's terra incognita for Japan. Will they crumble against a wary, improved Scotland team under Cotter, or will they be up for it ?

Teams:

Scotland: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Tommy Seymour, 13 Mark Bennett, 12 Matt Scott, 11 Sean Lamont, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Greig Laidlaw, 8 David Denton, 7 John Hardie, 6 Ryan Wilson, 5 Jonny Gray, 4 Grant Gilchrist, 3 WP Nel, 2 Ross Ford, 1 Alasdair Dickinson.
Replacements: 16 Fraser Brown, 17 Ryan Grant, 18 Jon Welsh, 19 Richie Gray, 20 Josh Strauss, 21 Henry Pyrgos, 22 Peter Horne, 23 Sean Maitland.

Japan: 15 Ayumu Goromaru, 14 Kotaro Matsushima, 13 Male Sau, 12 Yu Tamura, 11 Kenki Fukuoka, 10 Harumichi Tatekawa, 9 Fumiaki Tanaka, 8 Amanaki Mafi, 7 Michael Broadhurst, 6 Michael Leitch (c), 5 Justin Ives, 4 Luke Thompson, 3 Hiroshi Yamashita, 2 Shota Horie, 1 Keita Inagaki.
Replacements: 16 Takeshi Kazu, 17 Masataka Mikami, 18 Kensuke Hatakeyama, 19 Shinya Makabe, 20 Shoji Ito, 21 Hendrik Tui, 22 Atsushi Hiwasa, 23 Karne Hesketh.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This is going to be an absolute cracker; Scotland in fine form in the warm ups with a marked improvement in their attacking play, up against Japan - who will be riding the wave of hype from their SA win.

Cant wait!

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
We should win, but should is worth about as much as a used tissue when the ball is kicked off.

Boys are taking it very very seriously. Seems to be a hard and direct starting side, with a bit of width and dynamic ability coming off the bench.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If and big If Japan play to same level they did against SA they should win against Scotland...

But that is really the big question? Can they back this up? Like some other posters you wonder whether was just one of those days against the opposition they became super human and mentally just had they undeniable belief. Is it therefore repeatable? Don't know but like many would not miss the Scotland game for quids if even slightest chance to see another game like how they played against SA (and where so many more than otherwise might not watched this game definitely will now)

Relance

Herbert Moran (7)
We should win, but should is worth about as much as a used tissue when the ball is kicked off.

Boys are taking it very very seriously. Seems to be a hard and direct starting side, with a bit of width and dynamic ability coming off the bench.

What do you make of Sean Lamont in the starting XV ? I would never doubt his commitment but I've always found him to be too limited for the international level. I could understand him being picked when Scotland were short on winger stocks but they've improved recently, haven't they ? Like the look of the team otherwise, Hogg will run the ball a lot more than Kirchner and could wreak havoc in that Japanese defence.

@ Brumby Runner: Tatekawa was surprisingly good at 12 but he's the regular starter at 10 for Japan so hopefully he'll look even better :) his only weakness is kicking for territory, which is I believe why Eddie Jones has gone for a second 5/8 at 12 with Tamura.

Regarding the other changes:
-the loosehead prop is the regular substitute while there's been a lot of rotation at tighthead, not sure they're losing much there;
-the utility forward Justin Ives comes in for Ono, a bit lightweight for mine, was completely shown up against World XV before being injured;
-Mafi comes in at 8, wrecking ball with sweet handling and good option-taking at the back of the scrum; definitely one of their strong positions (Tui and Holani not too shabby either);
-Tatekawa / Tamura at 10/12, which I would say is their best combination (although EJ (Eddie Jones) has used Craig Wing a lot recently);
-University star Fukuoka, whom Scotland know very well, returns at 11; Matsushima shifts to the other wing but doesn't make way for the other university star, Fujita.

Overall, apart from second row, I think that team is potentially stronger than the one that faced South Africa. While Cotter is an astute bugger, I think EJ (Eddie Jones) had targeted that game more than the others and still has a few tricks of his own in his bag. Japan by 4.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Honestly? I thought Lamont would miss World Cup selection in general. He was behind DTH, Maitland and Seymour at Glasgow, you add Visser and Taylor into the mix at international level for DTH, and we had plenty of Centers so there was no need for his potential versatility.

With injuries both in general (Taylor and Dunbar) along with injuries to Seymour and Maitland over the warm ups he got an opportunity, and he kicked butt. He deserves to there 100%. Playing him in this one is a smart decision, Visser will probably get 80 against the Eagles, and with Seymour, Maitland and Hogg all having had niggles in the warm ups he provides protection and is in good form. He's stopped his worst habit (making the 1st break but then losing his support and turning the ball over), so that'll help too.

For all his flaws, he's 100% a team player. Trains ridiculously hard, makes his tackles, happy to play anywhere and everywhere and has said he'll never retire from international rugby. Think Maitland will start come the Saffa game, along with Strauss in for Wilson.

Our forms not as terrible as the 2 from 9 in 2015 and the 7 from 16 under Cotter would suggest. All but 3 of those losses were within a score, ofthe rest, one of them was the horrendously undermanned team against South Africa, another was against an Ireland who needed to thrash us to win the 6 Nations. The team's good enough to win, and I'll be disappointed if they don't, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lose.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Honestly? I thought Lamont would miss World Cup selection in general. He was behind DTH, Maitland and Seymour at Glasgow, you add Visser and Taylor into the mix at international level for DTH, and we had plenty of Centers so there was no need for his potential versatility.

With injuries both in general (Taylor and Dunbar) along with injuries to Seymour and Maitland over the warm ups he got an opportunity, and he kicked butt. He deserves to there 100%. Playing him in this one is a smart decision, Visser will probably get 80 against the Eagles, and with Seymour, Maitland and Hogg all having had niggles in the warm ups he provides protection and is in good form. He's stopped his worst habit (making the 1st break but then losing his support and turning the ball over), so that'll help too.

For all his flaws, he's 100% a team player. Trains ridiculously hard, makes his tackles, happy to play anywhere and everywhere and has said he'll never retire from international rugby. Think Maitland will start come the Saffa game, along with Strauss in for Wilson.

Our forms not as terrible as the 2 from 9 in 2015 and the 7 from 16 under Cotter would suggest. All but 3 of those losses were within a score, ofthe rest, one of them was the horrendously undermanned team against South Africa, another was against an Ireland who needed to thrash us to win the 6 Nations. The team's good enough to win, and I'll be disappointed if they don't, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lose.
That Ireland game was the pits. They just gave up. Well they gotta win this one

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Winless after 4 decent performances in the first 4 games, lost about a dozen first string players to injury before and throughout the tournament against an Ireland that needed that big win, I can completely understand just falling to pieces.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
If that was France playing after such a feat, I'd put all my savings on whoever they'd be facing, in a heartbeat. I believe that's terra incognita for Japan. Will they crumble against a wary, improved Scotland team under Cotter, or will they be up for it ?

Because of the 4-day turn-around (and one injury), Japan made seven changes to their line-up. So this could be a good test of their depth. If the rest of the squad can play with the same kind of precision, communication and flat-out team-driven grittiness, it could be a very good game.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Winless after 4 decent performances in the first 4 games, lost about a dozen first string players to injury before and throughout the tournament against an Ireland that needed that big win, I can completely understand just falling to pieces.
You were a good deal more committed than the French at Twickenham who couldn't be bothered to make any tackles. I think you will beat Japan comfortably and have a very good chance against SA, especially if Samoa give them a bit of a fright on Saturday, which I think they will.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
I would've thought Scotland would win this with no TBP, but Japan probably have the best scrum after Romania in the tier two nations. It coped with the Bok scrum easy and has dismantled a NZ Maori and Welsh scrums in the past year or so. That said a cruel 4 day turn around after playing SA, that's going to test them.

Also make no mistake Japan beat a SA side with issues all over the shop. This Scottish team are getting more impressive by the day. I'd say Scots by ~15.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would've thought Scotland would win this with no TBP, but Japan probably have the best scrum after Romania in the tier two nations. It coped with the Bok scrum easy and has dismantled a NZ Maori and Welsh scrums in the past year or so. That said a cruel 4 day turn around after playing SA, that's going to test them.

Also make no mistake Japan beat a SA side with issues all over the shop. This Scottish team are getting more impressive by the day. I'd say Scots by ~15.

I disagree there on the scrum. In my opinion Japan were easily dominated for 70mins at scrum time - but their tactics to get the ball out quick and speed at doing so was superb. There scrum was notably going backwards on their own feed but they got the ball out before a penalty was awarded. Smart play.

They had a couple really good scrums at the end and started to dominate - which would probably have been down to substitutions (on both teams) and momentum.

I was shocked when I heard Japan ask to pack down another scrum after a collapse in the last 5mins- after being dominated for 70mins of the match. Wow ballsy stuff from Japan and it worked.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Japan had their better props on at the end of the match. Out of the tier 2 nations they'd be 3rd after Georgia and Romania at the scrum from what I've seen, but not too far behind. It'll be really interesting to see how those 3 go this week against Scotland, Argentina and France.

I think this game's quite hard to predict. Wouldn't be surprised if Scotland were a bit rusty at the start and Japan, confident and in the groove of playing have a strong 1st half. But come the 2nd half the freshness of the Scots may pay dividends.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was shocked when I heard Japan ask to pack down another scrum after a collapse in the last 5mins- after being dominated for 70mins of the match. Wow ballsy stuff from Japan and it worked.

Japan had their better props on at the end of the match. Out of the tier 2 nations they'd be 3rd after Georgia and Romania at the scrum from what I've seen, but not too far behind. It'll be really interesting to see how those 3 go this week against Scotland, Argentina and France.

Coenie Oosthuizen got binned for not rolling away with a couple of minutes to go.

Calling for the scrum meant they lost a backrower (Kolisi) and only had 7 players in the scrum which gave Japan more of an edge.

That said, the last scrum where they finally got the ball out was such a mess they were very lucky to hang onto it.

Status
Not open for further replies.