• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: SCO v JAP (Kingsholm) - Pool B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well Eddie Jones doesn't seem to think the short turnaround will effect their ability to play 80 minutes. He sees it the other way round:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34319315

"If you look at Scotland's scoring profile they are very heavily a first-half scoring team. They get outscored consistently in the second half. If we can stick with them in the first 30 minutes, and we are in the game at half time, we will win, because we will run them off their feet."

Interesting prediction!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I disagree there on the scrum. In my opinion Japan were easily dominated for 70mins at scrum time - but their tactics to get the ball out quick and speed at doing so was superb. There scrum was notably going backwards on their own feed but they got the ball out before a penalty was awarded. Smart play.

They had a couple really good scrums at the end and started to dominate - which would probably have been down to substitutions (on both teams) and momentum.

I was shocked when I heard Japan ask to pack down another scrum after a collapse in the last 5mins- after being dominated for 70mins of the match. Wow ballsy stuff from Japan and it worked.

But that was what was impressive as clearly weight wise Japan could not sustain long scrums so they adjusted to that to get out the ball at speed. Fact they work out smarts to get around their weaknesses is what was equally impressive with Japanese performance.

Obviously showed the addrelin that was spurring them on as late in the match they made a massive push on SA and almost won a tighthead.

Watched the game again last night as taped it and no way am I deleting that game. They tackled unbelievably well although Straus try was running over the top of Japanese player. So yes they are going to get a few tries against them by power plays from big players but they showed how they really compensated incredibly well with areas which do handicap them. This is what made the win all the more impressive. Commitment by smaller Japanese players in defence was impressive.

Regardless of what you say about SA it was still an outstanding result as was not about SA losing the game but from a glass half full view it was Japan playing smart team rugby to win the game.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
I would've thought Scotland would win this with no TBP, but Japan probably have the best scrum after Romania in the tier two nations. It coped with the Bok scrum easy and has dismantled a NZ Maori and Welsh scrums in the past year or so. That said a cruel 4 day turn around after playing SA, that's going to test them.

Also make no mistake Japan beat a SA side with issues all over the shop. This Scottish team are getting more impressive by the day. I'd say Scots by ~15.

Is Georgia tier 1 now? :rolleyes:

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Is Georgia tier 1 now? :rolleyes:
Nope I just rank them as having the third best scrum in the tier 2 group.

Regardless of what you say about SA it was still an outstanding result as was not about SA losing the game but from a glass half full view it was Japan playing smart team rugby to win the game.
Definitely, I'm certainly not detracting from the Japanese win. Their second try was the best of RD1 for me. Most tier one nations can only dream of scoring a try like that against SA. The size difference you mentioned was spot on too, seeing the two teams emerge from the tunnel was something else when gauging the size differences.

Relance

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm not even sure the scrum was one of their weaknesses coming into that game tbh. They might have gotten parity there had they wanted to, but their only goal was to get quick ball and up tempo. The hooker went for the strike only and the props just tried to control the initial shove.

Another thing that worked well as Rugbynutter39 mentioned it was their defensive system. They used a mix of the up & hold and one or two shooters that were compensated for in the defensive line (once or twice I even thought that was a deceptive maneuver: "There's the hole ! Ooops it's closed"). The obvious downside was that they were short behind, which was well-exposed by Kirchner and Lambie on a couple of occasions (but probably not enough).

And I have absolutely no faith in what Eddie says pre-game, the guy seems to revel in deceiving his opponent. You'd have to assume those stats were derived from 6 nations games, where Scotland has often started strong before fading late in the second half due to the better fitness / S&C and bench of arguably slightly better teams. The fact is last time Japan faced Scotland they were on par until 50, then were blown by 2 YC and uncharacteristic mistakes. Just putting pressure on the opposition really. Not sure Cotter bought that though ;)

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
15 Willie le Roux, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jean de Villiers (captain), 12 Damian de Allende, 11 JP Bryan Habana, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.

Struggling to see this "big shock" that this wannabe journalist is referring to. Pretty solid team, except for de Villiers, but we knew he was gonna play, so.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
There's no fucking shock at all, what a wanker

Yeah. Told him as much on his Facebook page where he posted the same drivel.

I was just as unimpressed as he was on Saturday, but creating discontent among fans who regrettedly follow him on social media is uncalled for. Would have been more professional to wait for the announcement and see how fans reacted.

We need to get behind them now, not push them further away like this muppet is doing.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Japan getting some pressure on with Goromaru booting a penalty from half way 5out, again they go to the back of the lineout and drive it over, 6-5 kick to come

Status
Not open for further replies.