• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: IRE v ITA (Olympic Stadium): POOL D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
16-9 against Italy.

Italy.

Some concerns for Schmidt if the Irish are not foxing.

The W is important. The margin and BP allocation less so. Avoiding injuries to key players and subsequent selection into Team Rehab is vital.

Eyes on the prize. Just ask NZL. They have played some of the most sublime rugby in pool stages and most QF & SF's at previous RWC's for what results?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Best performance by Italy for a while - they actually tried to play some rugby. Ireland had most of the territory and possession and didn't look that impressive. Hard to see them troubling France on that performance.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
The Referees have been a little inconsistent haven't they.

If you think that is bad, how about what has been happening at Judiciary?
It seems the book gets thrown at players from all the non-European Minnow nations while Quarter Finalists and European Minnow nations seem to get thrashed with a wet lettuce leaf.

I would like to see both Hooper and Burgess get cited for their efforts. In the event that this happens, I am fully expecting to see the Judicial Random Sanctioniser exposed in all it's glory once again.

Just saw Fijian prop Saulo got 10 weeks for a stamp on Charteris' head. Haven't seen the stamp so I have no idea how bad it was, but the inconsistency has been a bit jarring at times.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Best performance by Italy for a while - they actually tried to play some rugby. Ireland had most of the territory and possession and didn't look that impressive. Hard to see them troubling France on that performance.

Did not. Look. Impressive.

One thing they tend to do is get up for bigger games, so we'll see if that happens. The other is I almost wonder if they were under orders to kick like they did, so they could work their lineout. That was the best part of their game.

The third thing is Argentina is looking great. No matter how it goes against France, they'll need to sharpen up if they plan on going any farther in the tournament.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Just saw Fijian prop Saulo got 10 weeks for a stamp on Charteris' head. Haven't seen the stamp so I have no idea how bad it was, but the inconsistency has been a bit jarring at times.
There we go. James Horwill escaped sanction (IIRC) a year or two back, after two hearings, and England flanker Woods gets some stern words spoken to him for lashing out at a players melon meanwhile this poor bugger gets 10 weeks.

Old Man Jarse used to say "Only get upset about things that you can change. If you have no control over things, then it isn't worth the energy to get too emotional about them. Have your say and then let it go."

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
They literally kick EVERY TIME. Joe is a Kiwi. Is it because the Ireland players have sub-par skill sets he's forced to do this?

Not sure what lineouts have to do with up and unders. Not as if Ireland even catch them.

Schmidt does have a plan b. He's used it against us to great effect but it does seem to be covered with dust forgotten in a cupboard these days. Just hope pragmatism and percentages have not caused him to forget it's there

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Schmidt does have a plan b. He's used it against us to great effect but it does seem to be covered with dust forgotten in a cupboard these days. Just hope pragmatism and percentages have not caused him to forget it's there

Live in hope.

(I'd rather live with certainty.)

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ireland need to use the gameplan they use for welsh 6n games. The same one they used for game 1 of the warm ups. They should consign the one the used for game 2 in dublin to the bin. Hopefully, the criticism that Schmidt is gonna cop now might be a wake up

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^Have a feeling Schmidt might have planned to just coast through the first 3 games and work on defense. We have con seeded the least points in the Tournament so far, joint first for try's against along with Australia and have scored the third most try's behind only NZ and Australia.

But we are still ridden off on the way we are playing, France will be tough and than we draw either South Africa (If we lose to France) or Scotland/Japan which our current style of play and defense would hold up against.

I would not ride us off yet, we don't like being favorites so slowly sneaking our way through is fine by me.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
We're actually paired with pool C so it'll be NZ or ARG in the QF. So if we don't beat France we'll have to finally beat the ABs for the first time if we're to make a first semi. That's a very tough ask.

Ireland tend to give a big response after a poor game so I'd expect us to be up for the France game.

It's very frustrating knowing that both the players and the coach are capable of playing a far more expansive game.

I'm fearful we'll fall into the same trap as England. Backing defence and trying to keep a game tight. We're not going to keep NZ or Aus tryless and you don't want to be trying to play ball for the first time when you're chasing a game.

I think we'll beat France and play a lot better. Then we'll probably switch off again for Argentina and blow another chance at a RWC SF.

We have the ability to make the SF pretty handily. On recent meeting we should be favourites to beat both France and Argentina. Not on the form we've shown so far though.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
^^^Have a feeling Schmidt might have planned to just coast through the first 3 games and work on defense. We have con seeded the least points in the Tournament so far, joint first for try's against along with Australia and have scored the third most try's behind only NZ and Australia.

But we are still ridden off on the way we are playing, France will be tough and than we draw either South Africa (If we lose to France) or Scotland/Japan which our current style of play and defense would hold up against.

I would not ride us off yet, we don't like being favorites so slowly sneaking our way through is fine by me.

But you haven't played anyone good yet! I'm concerned so you should be

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I think we'll beat France and play a lot better. Then we'll probably switch off again for Argentina and blow another chance at a RWC SF.

I hope Italy was the kick up the hole they needed. Ireland generally always gets up for France, and there's usually less than a try between them in the final score. But at this point, I'd be just as concerned with Argentina's attack as any other tier 1 SH team. They're finding options all over the place, and they're clicking. Any team that doesn't work to counter-attack ASAP and force Argentina to play defensively is going to be worried by the 60th minute.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
But you haven't played anyone good yet! I'm concerned so you should be

If you're concerned, and most of the rest of us are, I think we can rest assured Schmidt and Ireland are. Sexton was making noises in the press about how when he was in France the Six Nations always seemed like a nuisance, but the World Cup means as much or more than the Top 14. And then he rattled through their semifinal appearances, and how they played like shite in the 2011 pool stages and still probably should have beat the AB's.

If there's one positive to take from the Italy game, we know the lineout is functioning and the scrum is pretty solid. And Iain Henderson would run through brick walls if they were on the pitch. Or just pick them up and carry them back 10 meters.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you're concerned, and most of the rest of us are, I think we can rest assured Schmidt and Ireland are. Sexton was making noises in the press about how when he was in France the Six Nations always seemed like a nuisance, but the World Cup means as much or more than the Top 14. And then he rattled through their semifinal appearances, and how they played like shite in the 2011 pool stages and still probably should have beat the AB's.

If there's one positive to take from the Italy game, we know the lineout is functioning and the scrum is pretty solid. And Iain Henderson would run through brick walls if they were on the pitch. Or just pick them up and carry them back 10 meters.
I'd like to see Ireland do well. I like sexton and the way he demolished Wales that time in the game I'd otherwise like to erase from memory. Conor Murray is best 9 in the world imho. I could go on. But I'm beginning to believe those that say Ireland are boring and predictable and sexton s imperious control has gone.im genuinely concerned. I don't want this rwc to be a vehicle for Sh uber alles refrain

Status
Not open for further replies.