• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
If it means we get rid of Andrew, have a attacking minded coach and can use the talented young players we have coming up properly (Itojie, Ewers, Kvesic, Slade, Clifford, etc) it should def be the best thing.

But either way a very tough pill to swallow.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
England at the World Cup knockouts.
attachment.php

Well done Dewald Nel, as they say: "A picture tells a thousand words"!!

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
If it means we get rid of Andrew, have a attacking minded coach and can use the talented young players we have coming up properly (Itojie, Ewers, Kvesic, Slade, Clifford, etc) it should def be the best thing.

But either way a very tough pill to swallow.

England have more talented players than you can point a stick at. What happens to them at international level has to be down to the Woodward era mindset amongst the coaches

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm wondering what's happened to our armchair general? He's gone awful quiet. After watching Wales in Cardiff followed by Australia at Twickers he's probably in A&E still with a grin on his face

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Coverage in today's papers in Sydney was pretty good I thought. Multi-page spreads in the Tele and Herald.

Obviously played second fiddle to the NRL, but I'm not sure that article is on the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
One more perhaps before I leave England to their grief
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12107994_931912863547043_1972271984376457966_n.jpg?oh=ad4af1ac6c7e23c12cd8e5a5b1907a2d&oe=5699A792&__gda__=1452740635_3d7e2fa240a3f4f1b959dd1ebc9e68fb

Hahahahaha! It's not just Wales - I think Noah should start building an ark.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Had he got a YELLOW card there would have been a few whinges but overall the thread would have accepted it. It was only penalized. So lets all agree for the point of the argument it should have been a yellow.

You don't get cited for yellow card infringements. If the citing officer thinks it might be a red then it goes to the judiciary and then at the review the player gets a notional yellow. That only gets into play if Hooper is later cited over a red card worthy incident and he is then found to be a serial offender and gets an extra week or two. So right now this is NOT an issue.

Not entirely sure about that.

The RWC 2015 Disciplinary Process guide says this under Citing Process:
A Citing Commissioner from a neutral country will be appointed for each of the 48 Matches in the Tournament. The Citing Commissioner will review the Match live and from recordings. He will have access to all the available Match clips from the host broadcaster lTV and Hawkeye multi-camera feeds. The Citing Commissioner may cite a Player for an act of Illegal and/or Foul Play contrary to Law 10.4 of the Laws of the Game within 36 hours of the conclusion of the Match. Where the Citing Commissioner requires more time to investigate a particular incident he may apply to the judicial Officer for an extension of time.

No mention that the Citing Commissioner must consider that the act of Illegal and/or Foul Play has to be worthy of a Red Card, however the document then says this later:
Any Citing Commissioner Warning will be notified to an individual player and his Union within 36 hours of the completion of the Match. Citing Commissioner Warnings are issued by the Citing Commissioner for incidents of Foul Play which are not subject to a yellow or red card by the referee and which the Citing Commissioner considers falls just short of a red card offence.

So, a player may get cited for an act of Illegal and/or Foul Play contrary to Law 10.4, but if that act did not receive a Yellow or Red Card from the referee, and the Commissioner considers it falls short of a Red Card, then the worst that can happen is the wet lettuce leaf punishment of a Citing Commissioner Warning, which is the equivalent of an on field Yellow Card for the purposes of future disciplinary issues.

In this instance (for both Hooper and Burgess), the acts could be considered Foul Play contrary to Law 10.4 and worthy of a citing. Neither act was subject to Yellow or Red Card from the referee, so it is still up to the Citing Commissioner (CC) to determine if they consider the acts to be Red Card worthy. If yes, then Burgess and Hooper are off to see what the Judicial Lottery Sanctioniser randomly selects for them. If the CC decides that the acts fall short of a Red Card, then it is off to the Official RWC 2015 S&M dungeon for 50 lashes from the Gunston Corp Wet Lettuce Leaf Thrash-o-matic.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That was an awfully long post to say that if the incident isn't deemed worthy of a red card, you won't get cited and the worst that can happen is you get an off field yellow card.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
All debts with England have been settled.

Anyone who had objectively been following any of England's Rugby for the last year or two knew England had nothing other than Twickenham going for them. They didn't know their best team, they played negative Rugby and were a one trick show. When the Australian scrum removed that trick what else did they have ? A league convert a year short of being able to provide value.

No, the chariot has hit bottom and well deserved. England need a complete clean out and a change in mindset to what Rugby they need to play. Living off the 2003 win and 2007 final are gone. A shift in mindset is needed.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
@Braveheart81. It was a long post to get all the magic words from the RWC process on the table, so that everyone had the same hymn sheet in front of them.

1. You may get cited by the Citing bloke even if the act of foul play isn't deemed worthy of a red card.
2. If the act cited fails to meet the red card criteria in the Citing Bloke's view, then it is off to the Gunston Corp Wet Lettuce Leaf Thrash-o-matic.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Coverage in today's papers in Sydney was pretty good I thought. Multi-page spreads in the Tele and Herald.

Obviously played second fiddle to the NRL, but I'm not sure that article is on the money.

I think if the papers had ever provided thorough or interesting coverage of rugby I'd notice if it went missing. They never really have - it's merely a literal summary of the events that one could see with one's own eyes (at best). Spiro used to write decent analysis articles but Growden never did and I don't even know who is doing it these days.

My first port of call for results is wikipedia (because it's not full of pop up ads for Range Rovers and shit). I then watch the matches, then i come here.

Don't really need the thoughtless "here's what happened" coverage in the Oz papers and I doubt anyone else does either, if they have even a mild interest in the game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Not sure that's entirely correct Lorenzo. Paul Cully is doing great work in the SMH- I think you'd be surprised. Also like Iain Payten at the Tele, though he doesn't have as much scope for analysis as Cully seems to.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Here -- have a look for yourself.

MarvelousUntriedAmericanredsquirrel.gif

(Better video here.)

The overhead angle from the touchline shows him dropping his arm back, and throwing his shoulder into Mike Brown's head/neck. So call that what you will. Jannie Du Plessis was carded the game before for pretty much the same thing, and an Argentinian player was penalized against Tonga for leading with his shoulder in a tackle and connecting with a Tongan head.

I guess just wait and see.

It's certainly a penalty and probably a yellow card as well, but that's about it. O'Donnell was yellow carded for Ireland against Italy for a carbon copy of this. This type of incident has been penalised and/or yellow carded all tournament, but to my knowledge has never resulted in a red card. Unless it's a red card - it can't then be a suspension.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Theres almost always a group of death:

1987 - NZ, Argentina, Fiji, Italy in one pool - NZ and Fiji went through
1991 - Aus, Wales, Samoa and Argentina - Aus and Samoa went through
1995 - Two pools of death take your pick of:
Pool B England, Samoa, Italy, Argentina - England and Samoa
Pool C NZ, Ireland, Wales, Japan - NZ and Ireland
1999 - NZ, England, Italy or the Wales, Argentina, Samoa pool anyone?
2003 - Very balanced these are all hard
Pool A Aus, Ire, Arg, Nab, Rom
Pool C SA, Eng, Sam, Geo, Uru
2007 - Once again very balanced:
Pool A Eng, Sam, SA, Ton, USA
Pool D Arg, Fra, Geo, Ire, Nab
2011 - Pool D SA, Sam, Wal, Fiji, Nab.

If there are 4 pools and there are 10 tier 1 nations (6N plus TRC), then there will always be at least one 'pool of death'. No amount of fiddling with methods can alter the mathematics of it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
It's certainly a penalty and probably a yellow card as well, but that's about it. O'Donnell was yellow carded for Ireland against Italy for a carbon copy of this. This type of incident has been penalised and/or yellow carded all tournament, but to my knowledge has never resulted in a red card. Unless it's a red card - it can't then be a suspension.
Hooper seems to give Sanchez a boot to the melon in the process, but as others say if the Citing Bloke doesn't think "Red Card", then the worst is that can happen is it's off to the Gunston Corp Wet Lettuce Leaf Thrash-o-matic.

Status
Not open for further replies.