• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Burgess seems to have followed the andy Farrell trail as he was a league player who played mainly prop in league who they then largely played at inside /outside centre for England with so so success.

Very hard for league player to make it as a union forward and to my mind only brad thorn has ever successfully done it.

Will Sam Burgess be a super star like Folau or SBW or so so player like Harris for Wales or Farrell for England. My bet would be more likely so so player but too early to say and would be unfair to burgess to make a call on that. My point is that even so so players with big profiles (can't say how big sam burgess is in England as don't live there now but can confirm Harris and Farrell did
When they made the switch) can offer attractive commercial non playing positives from interest these converts generate

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Said like an Australian Rugbynutter. Most English don't care about league or know who Burgess is.

That is patently not true. One trip to Reddit or Planet Rugby will show you that Burgess causes more arguments among the English League and Union fans than I'd care to mention.

And any publicity is good publicity.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Well fair play to you guys, were the better team on the night. Not entirely sure how Launchbury got MotM, clearly Foley or Pocock were the options for me.

I reckon Lancaster will walk now, he has too surely. Who might replace him though? If no big names can be attracted I'd try and get Baxter from Exeter. He's done wonders down there on almost no budget.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Well fair play to you guys, were the better team on the night. Not entirely sure how Launchbury got MotM, clearly Foley or Pocock were the options for me.

I reckon Lancaster will walk now, he has too surely. Who might replace him though? If no big names can be attracted I'd try and get Baxter from Exeter. He's done wonders down there on almost no budget.
Thumbs up for being so gracious. I think player talent wise England look good for the future. I think you need a management change but at least Lancaster's heart is in the right place.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Thumbs up for being so gracious. I think player talent wise England look good for the future. I think you need a management change but at least Lancaster's heart is in the right place.

Yeah the next generation of English rugby does look pretty good with the likes of Ford, Launchbury, Watson, Itoje, etc. Shame Lancaster panicked and included a lot of stodge around them to stifle them.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Not sure if already posted. But worth posting!

a07a2e524e538ceae29d8e4424dedd85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah the next generation of English rugby does look pretty good with the likes of Ford, Launchbury, Watson, Itoje, etc. Shame Lancaster panicked and included a lot of stodge around them to stifle them.

they have a huge problem in their midfield - I dont think Ford makes much difference to that and, obviously, I dont know who is thought to be coming through the under 20s etc.
Except for the 14 last night, the ozzies were more than happy to just slide across and let the poms come to them knowing that their angles were such that they'd run out of space before we ran out of defenders. I see that as a perennial issue for England.
Mind you, Gitts is the best "passive" defender I have ever seen - and that's not to say his active defence is not fantastic too.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Burgess seems to have followed the andy Farrell trail as he was a league player who played mainly prop in league who they then largely played at inside /outside centre for England with so so success.

Very hard for league player to make it as a union forward and to my mind only brad thorn has ever successfully done it.

I'm pretty sure Andy Farrell played most of his league career as a lock. He was quite a fine ball player.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
they have a huge problem in their midfield - I dont think Ford makes much difference to that and, obviously, I dont know who is thought to be coming through the under 20s etc.
Except for the 14 last night, the ozzies were more than happy to just slide across and let the poms come to them knowing that their angles were such that they'd run out of space before we ran out of defenders. I see that as a perennial issue for England.
Mind you, Gitts is the best "passive" defender I have ever seen - and that's not to say his active defence is not fantastic too.

What is he supposed to do with Farrell and Barritt as his centres? Watch him for Bath with Eastmond, Joseph, Watson, Agulla and Watson running lines off him all day. He can find holes in defences.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I also haven't got any great hate for English rugby that HJ etc seem to have, not sure I have seen any more cynical play out of them than any other team. In saying that I can understand you are having fun piling shit on them, hell isn't that the fun of winning??

I doubt that anyone on GAGR hates English rugby, but have a strong dislike for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.