• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sorry my views may differ to many but i still reckon burgess a great acquisition for rugby and the world game (if he sticks with it) and don't buy into all the media bullshit critcism of him as reckon for the 5 seconds of international
Rugby he has played he is doing ok.

And I confess I am like many others who follow other sports like league and salivate at prospect of other players of this prdigree coming across to rugby which is my first choice football code
I've just spent a week in bath: I saw nothing of burgess image.
I spoke to quiet a few pretty knowledgeable locals who were bemused at his selection and cynical about the whole idea.
On the shuttle to the ground last night the pommy beside me was similarly unmoved by burgess, volunteering the 2 huge defensive misreads in the Wales game as evidence of his unworthiness.
I've eaten in the houses of rusted on English rugby supporters while here.
No one can understand how Burgess got picked.
Now it's true I haven't met or spoken to anyone who follows league as their rugby code of choice but I'm unconvinced that there is any huge interest in him other than in attempt to understand why Lancaster picked him.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Absolutely. Aside from Genia's two charged down box kicks I though we won the kicking battle too. Which makes us a much more difficult proposition.
Your maul wasn't disastrous either. I think Mr Cheika might have learnt something when he was coaching in the NH!?!?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Yep IS, can't understand why he is playing rugby when the Bunnies need him. Come home Sam!!!!.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
England's final match with Uruguay is basically going to be the team's funeral. There's surely no way they can get up for it. If it was a slightly stronger team than Uruguay you'd have to think they'd be vulnerable to an epic upset. I bet there'll be a lot of 2nd hand tickets going up for sale at less than face value.
The Touts/ Scalpers are going to lose a fortune after you knocked the Orcs out. Another reason to smile if you are an Aussie.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
With the way they acted pre-game, all the shit talk, they deserved everything they got.
The England team were fine pre-game, I thought. A bit of trash talking but nothing OTT, and certainly no worse than our blokes regularly do (but which Cheika usually stops). But the British press were strutting, vainglorious toadies. No Wallabies in the England XV. Heh. Someone please buy Danny Cipriani another line of Charlie, before he comes to his senses and breaks something.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I spoke to quiet a few pretty knowledgeable locals who were bemused at his selection and cynical about the whole idea.
On the shuttle to the ground last night the pommy beside me was similarly unmoved by burgess, volunteering the 2 huge defensive misreads in the Wales game as evidence of his unworthiness.

Now it's true I haven't met or spoken to anyone who follows league as their rugby code of choice but I'm unconvinced that there is any huge interest in him other than in attempt to understand why Lancaster picked him.

I would be surprised if Burgess was not getting a lot of press in England as a high profile league player as I was living in England and when ieston Harris switched from league to play for Wales and when any Farrell switched as well from super league to play for England their names were splashed all over the papers as lot of media interest..

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)

Told you he was making crap up.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm
Told you he was making crap up.[/quo

Pjm have you lived in England or wider uk mate as you really are being a tool to come on here claiming people make stuff Up they have witnessed

As someone who regularly read local British papers from the times, the Independant to the evening standard home on the tube there was a lot of media interest around high profile league plAyers switching to Union

Stop being a complete twat as any of the g&g admin who know who i am could easily verify my time in England

You just seem to have a problem who shares what they have seen when goes counter to your baseless views

Stop being a complete twat and play the ball and not the person

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would be surprised if Burgess was not getting a lot of press in England as a high profile league player as I was living in England and when ieston Harris switched from league to play for Wales and when any Farrell switched as well from super league to play for England their names were splashed all over the papers as lot of media interest..
Haven't seen anything in the papers but I'm not reading them unless one catches my eye: it may be that coming from Aus he wasn't on the radar.
The real point is that I sense resentment at his rails run.
You don't pick a bloke for a World Cup at 12 in the hope that he'll become a good 6.
Burgess is nowhere near the athlete SBW is and there's a tech of arrogance in the thought that he might be. A touch of arrogance certainly fits with the way the pommy media presented the pommy team this week.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Serious question for all y'all from down under:

We* hear a lot about how rugby is a fourth sport at best in Australia, and what it would me for rugby in both the country and the region if the Wallabies do well. What kind of effect could a win like this have on rugby in Australia? How many wins like this would it take to get the ARU out of the red and make the sport more popular? And do these wins only matter if they come against England, New Zealand, and the Springboks?

* (We as in those of us from outside of Australia who peek in on the Aussie sports scene.)

It's a tough one... A match like this should have some serious cut through value given it's against "the old enemy" in a World Cup tournament held in their own backyard that led to maximum humiliation for them.

Yet for all that, it looks like its still having trouble breaking through outside of NSW and Qld. For a bit of perspective the Melbourne based national ABC Sports round up program called "Offsiders" (on every Sunday morning for half an hour) gave this game all of three minutes of coverage sandwiched between about 13 mins each of AFL and NRL Grand Final coverage.

To add to that, the guy they had comment on it is a former League coach and current NRL journo.

Hopefully if the Wallabies keep producing these good news stories their exposure will continue though, as they wont be competing with our other footy codes big events

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Be very interesting to see the wash up from all this. Personally I think if Pom RU has balls they should almost keep Lancaster as coach, as I think the team have looked to be improving in their ability to play a more open game. Perhaps I am soft, but I saw what Henry did after Abs got knocked out of 07 WC. I also haven't got any great hate for English rugby that HJ etc seem to have, not sure I have seen any more cynical play out of them than any other team. In saying that I can understand you are having fun piling shit on them, hell isn't that the fun of winning?? I do have to say I have seen some good posts on facebook from people both here and NZ having a laugh, and sure some Irish/Scots and Welsh sites are creating a giggle or 2. Anyway the next decision everyone seems to have to make, were England really that bad, or were Wallabies pretty good. I tend to go with Wallabies played bloody well, even if England did allow them to!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The Burgess signing had merit, but the execution has been hopeless. The bloke is a deadset 6, which is where he plays at Bath - but Lancaster picks him at 12 for reasons best known to himself. He was never going to be ready to play 6 at this RWC, but hoped for short term effectiveness won out over a long term player development strategy.

He's also from oop north, so might not fit in with certain sections of the English rugby crew.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Love this one.
12039552_1209085295771981_5525504586566228130_n.jpg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was there in July and he and Bath Rugby were everywhere in town. The main promotional image for Bath Rugby was three players with Burgess front and centre.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
Saw that poster once in the JWS rugby store. I don't think the Bath season had started (or has started?).
Most of England and Wales is crawling with Dan Carter/All Black images including DC promoting MasterCard touch less credit card and a Harods shop window with AB mannequins - not quite matched by the rugby equipment inside the shop.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Lancaster's selections seemed to have a huge whiff of panick about them. Up to the warm up matches the English seemed to be trying to bring in a more expansive game involving all 15 players and some depth support for the runners. That all got thrown out the window in much the same way as Dingo Deans had the play what's in front of you (meaning no plan) plan up to the RWC2011 then threw all that out the window for the kick the shit out of it and defend plan. Coupled with the plans went the strange selections in the centres and backrow.

Similarities aplenty and results disastrously similar for England. I just don't understand this idea of totally discarding a mode of play like Deans and now Lancaster have done. Develop it over time like Chieka has done in under 12 months with the Wallabies. Last year the scrum was poor, kicking was poor. The Chieka mode has developed on its strengths and fixed the scrum and from the improvements in the kicking game against England strides have been made in that direction as well, and that was where the Tahs got whipped three times in Super Rugby.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Lancaster's selections seemed to have a huge whiff of panick about them. Up to the warm up matches the English seemed to be trying to bring in a more expansive game involving all 15 players and some depth support for the runners. That all got thrown out the window in much the same way as Dingo Deans had the play what's in front of you (meaning no plan) plan up to the RWC2011 then threw all that out the window for the kick the shit out of it and defend plan. Coupled with the plans went the strange selections in the centres and backrow.

Similarities aplenty and results disastrously similar for England. I just don't understand this idea of totally discarding a mode of play like Deans and now Lancaster have done. Develop it over time like Chieka has done in under 12 months with the Wallabies. Last year the scrum was poor, kicking was poor. The Chieka mode has developed on its strengths and fixed the scrum and from the improvements in the kicking game against England strides have been made in that direction as well, and that was where the Tahs got whipped three times in Super Rugby.

I agree England made some real progress during this years 6Ns with both Joseph and Ford impressing and to a lesser extent Burrell. I said at the time that they were likely to revert to the more limited Farrell and Barritt (with Burgess also making an appearance) once the pressure started building.

Farrell might make sense if Armitage was playing at 7 or the Wallabies didn't muller them in the scrum. They just had no opportunities to win the penalties for him to kick. Once you take that out of his game he offers next to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.