• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I dont think that's true, as in some races you have to have 9 people in the boat when you cross the finish line for the result to be counted. In one instance at a schoolboy regatta years ago, one of the rowers was flung out of the boat by a stray oar mid race, the cox then proceeded to straighten the rudder before jumping over a couple of the rowers and finishing the race in place of the rower that was in the water. The crew still finished first but were disqualified for not having a cox.

She should never have stopped rowing, even if she was going through the motions rowing lightly it still would have meant that the boat kept flowing. But by stopping she ruined the crews timing and rhythm which is what her team-mates would have been mad about.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
So Aussies are claiming Aus is a great country and NZ rugby team is great between world cups and chokes at them.

This has not been an eye opening thread!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I dont think that's true, as in some races you have to have 9 people in the boat when you cross the finish line for the result to be counted. In one instance at a schoolboy regatta years ago, one of the rowers was flung out of the boat by a stray oar mid race, the cox then proceeded to straighten the rudder before jumping over a couple of the rowers and finishing the race in place of the rower that was in the water. The crew still finished first but were disqualified for not having a cox.

She should never have stopped rowing, even if she was going through the motions rowing lightly it still would have meant that the boat kept flowing. But by stopping she ruined the crews timing and rhythm which is what her team-mates would have been mad about.

Keeping up with their pace over the last 1km would have been nearly impossible rowing lightly, one mistimed oarstroke and she could have stuffed up the rythym of the crew, not to mention risked her own safety by breaking a rigger or snapping the oar (catching a crab). You are right about the cox rule though, I have heard many stories but from what I have read and heard from rowers you actually need the cox for it to count. There is no requirement to have all 9 in the boat, just the cox.

MR - You may have missed the fishing rod at the end of that statement :p

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Damn Sally Robbins! Because of her, we only came 4th in the medal tally in 2004. Ahead of Germany. Ahead of Great Britain. Ahead of Japan, France, Italy, South Korea, Cuba, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania, Greece, Norway, Netherlands, Brazil, Sweden, Spain, Canada, Turkey, Poland ... and New Zealand.

P

potjiekos

@ potjiekos
If you keep being butthurt on an Australian rugby forum about what what a horrific cheat David Pocock is, you might start getting trolled soon by the locals, just sayin'[/QUOTE]

Lol.... Touch a nerve I see! My bad pete. Am new to this forum, still have to acquire the art of 'kruiping gat'*....

Please take it for what its worth...pure unadulterated idle, toungue-in-cheek banter. I should think that most of the posters on the site are knowledgeable enough to see this. It might not be a popular viewpoint, but its a viewpoint nonetheless....just sayin'. *wink*

* kruiping gat = butt-licking / arse worshipping

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can we stop with the comparisons of NZ v AUS? I understand it's friendly banter but there's been one too many threads that have continued down this path and its very predictably going to turn into a debate on whether or not Crowded House is Kiwi or Aussie...

We all know Crowded House and all things good are Australian.

Now can we go back to rugby?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think they could cut McCaw's leg off and he would still play! Todd must be there for training only.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
FWIW, the usual protocol in rowing if an oar is broken or rigger snaps or whatever the case may be, the rower is obliged to jump out of the boat. Doing this reduces the amount of weight the other members pull with their strokes (obviously). Clearly she hit the wall and if I remember correctly her teammates weren't blaming her for giving up but more so for not doing the proper protocol and jumping out, it meant that they had to carry her for the duration of the race, obviously the extra weight would not have helped. You wonder why coxes are small in the sport? it's because they don't weigh down the boat and it's not difficult for them to be carried, a rower on the other hand is usually quite heavy.

Regardless, I don't think you could call that a choke. It would have been quite hard to tread water after the amount of effort she put in and to expect her to swim to shore would have been quite a large ask. More to the point, who cares about rowing these days? It's a elite sport run by private schools only that receives very little funding from the government.. primarily because it is an expensive sport to run.

Australia doesn't really pride itself on being the best rowers...New Zealand prides itself on being the best at rugby. Therefore, by our own expectations, we were never going to win that race..the rugby world cup in the Kiwi's eyes is a completely different story and considering it's the 4th biggest sport in Australia and we have won it twice, and its the national sport in NZ and they have won it once after being expected to win every tournament so far... we are by default a BETTER country. :fishing

how much rowing have you done?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
how much rowing have you done?

One year back during my school days (yes, you may assume private school education), my best mate did it for 6 and has coached for the past 3 years. We had this conversation about a week ago, hence knowing the little about it that I do. To be honest, it's not a sport that I watch or care about, I just have to pretend to understand and slowly learn the technicalities.

Sully, I wouldn't be playing McCaw at any less than 100%, who else do they have? Pocock's form makes me confident that we will win the battle of the breakdowns, provided Kaino doesn't kill Elsom or Samo.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One year back during my school days (yes, you may assume private school education), my best mate did it for 6 and has coached for the past 3 years. We had this conversation about a week ago, hence knowing the little about it that I do. To be honest, it's not a sport that I watch or care about, I just have to pretend to understand and slowly learn the technicalities.

Sully, I wouldn't be playing McCaw at any less than 100%, who else do they have? Pocock's form makes me confident that we will win the battle of the breakdowns, provided Kaino doesn't kill Elsom or Samo.

what you said is utter crap

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
And your alternatives are so much better. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I am interested in hearing the actual technicalities of it another time. What I said is what I've been told and how I interpreted/learnt the rules. I don't row at an international level nor claim to know the international rules, if they are any different to that of schoolboy level. If not, my point stands.

... Or better yet, drop the topic as it's completely irrelevant and boring to watch two posters argue about pointless shit. My last comment on the matter.

Edit: Inside Shoulder, I just had a quick look over the Laws of Rowing set out by Rowing Australia and Section 8, Rule 73 States:
"A crew has finished the race when the bow of its boat has crossed the finish line. The race shall be valid even if the crew is incomplete. Nevertheless, a crew of a coxed boat crossing the finish line without its coxswain shall not be placed."
Look it up for yourself: http://www.rowingaustralia.com.au/docs/rowing_australia_rules_2008_edition.pdf

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
...and considering it's the 4th biggest sport in Australia...

considering its the 4th biggest football code, not sure how we sit in sport overall, but cricket has to be up there as well, at least 5th, probably 6th or 7th.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
4th biggest sport overall as its definitely bigger than soccer. Part of me is hoping NRL clubs decide to start a new comp and fuck there game up for a while as it can only help rugbys appeal.

Any idea when teams are going to be named? Hoping its tomorrow so we can actually start talking about the game again.

J

Jay

Damn Sally Robbins! Because of her, we only came 4th in the medal tally in 2004. Ahead of Germany. Ahead of Great Britain. Ahead of Japan, France, Italy, South Korea, Cuba, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania, Greece, Norway, Netherlands, Brazil, Sweden, Spain, Canada, Turkey, Poland ... and New Zealand.

PER CAPITA!!!!

(note: I have no idea if NZ had a better per capita tally).

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not the best source of info but I tried looking....

From the ABS:

Participation rates of sport in children go:
1. Swimming
2. Soccer
3. Netball
4. Cricket
5. Tennis
6. Basketball
7. Martial Arts

Adults (aged 15 and over) From the department of Sport and Recreation

Most popular sports and physical activities in Australia in 2004
Activity Participation rate (%)
Walking 39
Aerobics/fitness 17.1
Swimming 16.5
Cycling 10.5
Tennis 8.4
Running 8.3
Golf 7.9
Bushwalking 5.2
Soccer (outdoors) 4.2
Netball 3.6

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...PXREFr1sQ&sig2=z_O0pznvjSTVfFGsfb_vRg&cad=rja

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...09~Main+Features~Organised+sport?OpenDocument

Status
Not open for further replies.