• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 SF1 - Wales v France

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DJC

One of the questions circulating following red card is why Cement Head didn't get one of the props to feign injury in order to get uncontested scrums. Apparently the thought did cross his mind and in an interview today he says they discussed it at the time. Was this right? Or should wales have been as pragmatic about the result as the garlic eating surrender monkeys? was this an instance when winning warranted using the rules

Should Gatland have shut the f@ck up about his inner thoughts and is he now guilty of disrepute

I think Gatland and his team have got to be applauded although I see the IRB are supposedly "privately stunned" by his comments and are going to investigate. Why the IRB would waste money and time on this ridiculous investigation says more about the judgement of the IRB than it does about anything else.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
In which case it is warburton's fault for commiting a clear red card offense and getting himself sent off; ARs decision has been entirely vindicated by the citing commision. One question, if SW had been yellow carded or not carded, subsequently been cited and banned and Wales had won by a point would that have been fair? Was it fair in the first lions test of 2009 when Burger tried to rip Fitzgeralds eyes out, wasn't sent off, SA won and he was subsequently banned? The tip tackle is a red card offense and the citing and banning of Estabenez and the Tongans is cast iron concrete proof that AR made the correct decision. Like I say I would have prefered to see Wales in the final but all the whining (not from yourself I would add) is encouraging talk of the old quote about Welsh Rugby that 'you can never beat Wales at rugby, the best you can hope for is to score more points than them.' You had your chances and bottled them same as Saffers against Aus in the QFs. And same as Ireland against you in Cardiff in the last 6 nations.

Paddy. No here didn't commit a clear red card offence and cast iron proof is not present just because you say it is. Haven't read too many threads saying that Warburton didn't make a mistake. Haven't seen many that say the ref wasn't correct to send him off in terms of one interpretation of the rules and the instructions he had recieved from IRB. When someones says this on gwlad they get shouted down. Nevertheless I believe that he was wrong to send him off and would have been justified not to do so in terms of the same rules that gave him the red card. ths is the problem with the 'laws' of rugby. Refs are required to interpret them. Rolland, for reasons best known to himself chose to go ahead with a decision that ruined the semifinal and final of the RWC. The lineout success of the Frogs was entirely due to the lack of options available after. OUr scrum was buggered too- until they brought on two shithouse replacements later in game. He can be congratulated for stamping on dangerous play. rugby is a sfer game thanks to his actions. Well of course it isn't.

There is, I think, a difference between what breadman did and eyegouging. Rolland then started giving us unjustified penalties on the half way line, whilst ignoring the myriad offsides commmitted by frogs closer to their line. Frankly if 1/2p had converted his, the conroversy over his interpretaion of offside wouldn't have been any less. The RWC is over bar the presentation and I noticed this shambolic french team is now three on world rankings!

we can't keep raking over this. Time to move on. Will be interested in the viewing figures for final. Fifa world cup final is howcase of best teams. Not always the best game but always the best teams. This french team are total pants.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Paddy. No here didn't commit a clear red card offence and cast iron proof is not present just because you say it is. Haven't read too many threads saying that Warburton didn't make a mistake. Haven't seen many that say the ref wasn't correct to send him off in terms of one interpretation of the rules and the instructions he had recieved from IRB. When someones says this on gwlad they get shouted down. Nevertheless I believe that he was wrong to send him off and would have been justified not to do so in terms of the same rules that gave him the red card. ths is the problem with the 'laws' of rugby. Refs are required to interpret them. Rolland, for reasons best known to himself chose to go ahead with a decision that ruined the semifinal and final of the RWC. The lineout success of the Frogs was entirely due to the lack of options available after. OUr scrum was buggered too- until they brought on two shithouse replacements later in game. He can be congratulated for stamping on dangerous play. rugby is a sfer game thanks to his actions. Well of course it isn't.

There is, I think, a difference between what breadman did and eyegouging. Rolland then started giving us unjustified penalties on the half way line, whilst ignoring the myriad offsides commmitted by frogs closer to their line. Frankly if 1/2p had converted his, the conroversy over his interpretaion of offside wouldn't have been any less. The RWC is over bar the presentation and I noticed this shambolic french team is now three on world rankings!

we can't keep raking over this. Time to move on. Will be interested in the viewing figures for final. Fifa world cup final is howcase of best teams. Not always the best game but always the best teams. This french team are total pants.
Agree French team is 15 individuals vaguely connected but they are 15 talented individuals nonetheless. My point about Burger which you were vaguely after answering was not about the offence per se (I always like to remind Saffers what christians are capable of) rather that it was a red card offence that was not given as such at the time but subsequently cited as such after Burger had played 70 minutes of a game which his team won. You did not answer my other query as to whether it would have been fair to France for Wales to have won by 1 point had SW stayed on the pitch having commited a red card offence? As it has been unequivocally decided that his was a red card offence, including by his own mea culpa, surely we know where we are. And whatever happened there is precisely zero chance that SW would have been playing in the final. On that final point and given what is being said about how vital SW is to Welsh play and how his abscence ruins the fucking 'spectacle' maybe it is a good thing that France won as Wales without St Sam of Bread would be terrible. Hopefully he will wind up being the captain of a lions team containing no Irishmen as the shite emanating from some of your comprinciples (not yourself I hasten to add) seems to be leaving many Irishmen and women to feel inclined to let you all sing and play for your fecking Queen and leave us out of it; the Ulster boys can do as they feel. I will not be supporting the Lions again and have some level of feeling that Sky's shitty little franchise should be left to petty little Gwlad racists, I would not include your good self in that group BTW CB. So in 2013 I will have to get used to supporting Australia, fuck I hope Cooper has moved to league by then!?!

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agree French team is 15 individuals vaguely connected but they are 15 talented individuals nonetheless. My point about Burger which you were vaguely after answering was not about the offence per se (I always like to remind Saffers what christians are capable of) rather that it was a red card offence that was not given as such at the time but subsequently cited as such after Burger had played 70 minutes of a game which his team won. You did not answer my other query as to whether it would have been fair to France for Wales to have won by 1 point had SW stayed on the pitch having commited a red card offence? As it has been unequivocally decided that his was a red card offence, including by his own mea culpa, surely we know where we are. And whatever happened there is precisely zero chance that SW would have been playing in the final. On that final point and given what is being said about how vital SW is to Welsh play and how his abscence ruins the fucking 'spectacle' maybe it is a good thing that France won as Wales without St Sam of Bread would be terrible. Hopefully he will wind up being the captain of a lions team containing no Irishmen as the shite emanating from some of your comprinciples (not yourself I hasten to add) seems to be leaving many Irishmen and women to feel inclined to let you all sing and play for your fecking Queen and leave us out of it; the Ulster boys can do as they feel. I will not be supporting the Lions again and have some level of feeling that Sky's shitty little franchise should be left to petty little Gwlad racists, I would not include your good self in that group BTW CB. So in 2013 I will have to get used to supporting Australia, fuck I hope Cooper has moved to league by then!?!

Bloody Hell Paddy. Things ain't that bad. The micker setup is a good one, particularly when you consider player support base. As you've pointed out, Ireland regions consistently over perform and Welsh under. You also know perfectly well that Lions will contain a large proportion of current Ireland side. The only country that will miss out big time is Scotland. They seem completely screwed. Heard their refs are resigning, they clearly can't afford to tour and the SRU seems to be on the point of collapse.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
One of the questions circulating following red card is why Cement Head didn't get one of the props to feign injury in order to get uncontested scrums. Apparently the thought did cross his mind and in an interview today he says they discussed it at the time. Was this right? Or should wales have been as pragmatic about the result as the garlic eating surrender monkeys? was this an instance when winning warranted using the rules

Should Gatland have shut the f@ck up about his inner thoughts and is he now guilty of disrepute

Reported today in the SMH that Gatland did indeed think about cheating and have a prop feign injury. I thought at the time of the Red Card it is just a matter of time before a prop is "injured". Top marks and respect to Gatland and Wales for not doing this on "moral" grounds. This is exactly the sort of integrity I speak about when I am raving and frothing about teams using clearly trained illegalities. It speaks volumes for me that Gatland still has ethics and integrity and winning doesn't justify cheating. I don't care how close the decision was for him the fact he made the morally right one is all that matters.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ate-gatland-cheating-plan-20111019-1m6yw.html

Great work Gatland, respect.

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
It speaks volumes for me that Gatland still has ethics and integrity and winning doesn't justify cheating. I don't care how close the decision was for him the fact he made the morally right one is all that matters.

Great work Gatland, respect.

Agree Gnostic, it would be fantastic for the code if this attitude filtered down to some at club and school level that cynically abuse the uncontested option.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Bloody Hell Paddy. Things ain't that bad. The micker setup is a good one, particularly when you consider player support base. As you've pointed out, Ireland regions consistently over perform and Welsh under. You also know perfectly well that Lions will contain a large proportion of current Ireland side. The only country that will miss out big time is Scotland. They seem completely screwed. Heard their refs are resigning, they clearly can't afford to tour and the SRU seems to be on the point of collapse.
There is a serious undercurrent in Irish rugby that would like to see the players turn down the lions and concentrate on their provinces and Ireland; I feel this increasingly with the ridiculous bias of Sky's commentary. The racist filth coming out of Wales over this red card business has reinforced that feeling to be honest (not yourself I add again). I will try and start a poll on MF and lets see what it shows

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Obviously think that woulders be a mistake. Mostly because the players that go onLions tours come back 10X better players (provided that they stay fit)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMO, Gatland made a massive tactical error in not replacing Warburton, Ryan Jones should've gone on for Shane Williams.

You can't compete in a game for 60 minutes without a forward, specifically your best player who is the first to every breakdown. The Welsh had no quick ball and their attack completely stagnated, this was compounded with using Jamie Roberts as a flanker in the scrum on their own ball. Like the Wallabies against Ireland; they had no 1st phase attack now. Huge errors.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Actually Qwerty the probably I feel was the tactics they used. That is where I think Gatland failed. The kicking was poor and played into Frances hands allowing them to slow and choke Wales out of the game. In the last 20 minutes when Wales were frantic and ran everything at them, France cracked and really should have lost that game, but for another half a weetbix that would have got that kick over the bar. I didn't think Ryan Jones did much when he did come on so putting him on earlier for a player who was threatening the defence when his 9 and 10 didn't kick the ball away wouldn't have been productive.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
IMO, Gatland made a massive tactical error in not replacing Warburton, Ryan Jones should've gone on for Shane Williams.

You can't compete in a game for 60 minutes without a forward, specifically your best player who is the first to every breakdown. The Welsh had no quick ball and their attack completely stagnated, this was compounded with using Jamie Roberts as a flanker in the scrum on their own ball. Like the Wallabies against Ireland; they had no 1st phase attack now. Huge errors.

Another thought from left field qwerty but an interesting one. Would have been interesting to see whether Philips would have stopped useless box kicks with Ickle off. Would certainly have retained impact of Roberts better

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually Qwerty the probably I feel was the tactics they used. That is where I think Gatland failed. The kicking was poor and played into Frances hands allowing them to slow and choke Wales out of the game. In the last 20 minutes when Wales were frantic and ran everything at them, France cracked and really should have lost that game, but for another half a weetbix that would have got that kick over the bar. I didn't think Ryan Jones did much when he did come on so putting him on earlier for a player who was threatening the defence when his 9 and 10 didn't kick the ball away wouldn't have been productive.

Wales don't like to kick, I don't blame the qualities of their kicks, I blame why they had to resort to kicking, they didn't address the problem of no Warburton enough or underestimated his absence, they needed another forward on the park to get quicker ball.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
They kicked from the start of the game, and as I said they got plenty of ball throughout the game, and good quality to boot. It was just their tactics and execution that let them down in the end. That and leaving it to the last 20 to really have a go.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wales don't like to kick, I don't blame the qualities of their kicks, I blame why they had to resort to kicking, they didn't address the problem of no Warburton enough or underestimated his absence, they needed another forward on the park to get quicker ball.

I've watched as much as i could take of the replay. Not so much the speed of delivery but we wasted so much ball with kicks to missing wingers

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've watched as much as i could take of the replay. Not so much the speed of delivery but we wasted so much ball with kicks to missing wingers

Yep, you wonder why they had to suddenly force those options, mainly because Roberts was missing and the ball wasn't good enough. A big factor was obviously Priestland gone who had been igniting the backline the whole tournament beforehand. Still feel they should've looked to replace Warburton by taking off Shane and play a narrower game; dominating the rucks.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep, you wonder why they had to suddenly force those options, mainly because Roberts was missing and the ball wasn't good enough. A big factor was obviously Priestland gone who had been igniting the backline the whole tournament beforehand. Still feel they should've looked to replace Warburton by taking off Shane and play a narrower game; dominating the rucks.

Think you have a point, specially since Wales spread defence anyway.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Obviously think that woulders be a mistake. Mostly because the players that go onLions tours come back 10X better players (provided that they stay fit)
I would say that Ireland's experience is precisely the opposite, cannot think of one Irish player who has come back from the lions a better player but that is not the reason why I would like to see Ireland out of it. After the disgraceful comments coming out of Wales I can genuinely say I will never again support a team with a welsh player in it and I really don't believe I am alone in that. Wales have always been my second team but no longer. Shame but when you have got the leader of the welsh assembly whipping up the slurry it looks like it has become institutional. His comments about Rolland were disgraceful as have been those of Gatland and Edwards.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I would say that Ireland's experience is precisely the opposite, cannot think of one Irish player who has come back from the lions a better player but that is not the reason why I would like to see Ireland out of it. After the disgraceful comments coming out of Wales I can genuinely say I will never again support a team with a welsh player in it and I really don't believe I am alone in that. Wales have always been my second team but no longer. Shame but when you have got the leader of the welsh assembly whipping up the slurry it looks like it has become institutional. His comments about Rolland were disgraceful as have been those of Gatland and Edwards.

Know I am going to regret this but what has he said? News of this hasn't reached Sydney. Heard gatland and edwards. thought they were rightly harsh on the french.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I don't see what Paddy is geting so het up about, things said in the heat of the moment are often regreted afterward, Most of the people I know have let the incident psas, they still don't agree with the decision which is their right of opinion, You will always get the Fanatics who see it differently, But they are the Minority, Warburton has been dignified throughout, An Irish referee made a huge call, made his judgement on the law not the intent, which is what most people I talk to who know the character of Warbs find hard to take, That is my last word on this, lets hope it is yours to Paddy.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I don't see what Paddy is geting so het up about, things said in the heat of the moment are often regreted afterward, Most of the people I know have let the incident psas, they still don't agree with the decision which is their right of opinion, You will always get the Fanatics who see it differently, But they are the Minority, Warburton has been dignified throughout, An Irish referee made a huge call, made his judgement on the law not the intent, which is what most people I talk to who know the character of Warbs find hard to take, That is my last word on this, lets hope it is yours to Paddy.
Have a look at the memo from june 2009 and you will learn that intent has nothing to do with the decision, PERIOD. The Welsh first minister has no place making ignorant public utterances when the mood in the country was so incandescent. The pictures combined with the IRB directive about Spear/ tip tackles makes it absolutely clear it was a red card. Sam Warburton is actually lucky he only got 3 weeks given that not only did he drop Clerc but he was actually attempting to contest the ball before the frenchman landed on his neck. I accept he was not trying to hurt Clerc but as Sam Warburton knows the rules he knows that DOES NOT MATTER; if you drop someone it is a red card and he dropped Vincent Clerc. I am getting 'het' up because a good ref who correctly made a brave decision in a high pressure situation is having judgement passed on him by some c**t politician who is more interested in winning votes than impugning a mans reputation. I have shown the still pictures with the memo to half a dozen people and changed their opinion on every occasion without uttering a word. Clive Norling has said it was clearly a red card, but then what does he know he was only one of the greatest refs of all time and he spends his time training young referees. It was a red card because intent does not enter the equation in making the decision, look at the memo. Any way, as I keep saying Wales had ample opportunities to win the game, in spite of SW being correctly sent off, and failed to take them the same as Ireland in Wales in the last 6 nations and indeed SA against Aus in the QF.Sam Warburton’s Red Card.

"The IRB Spear Tackle Memorandum

Date: 8 June 2009

Subject: Dangerous Tackles

"In 2007, the IRB Council approved a Laws Designated Members Ruling which essentially made it clear that tackles involving a player being lifted off the ground and tipped horizontally and were then either forced or dropped to the ground are illegal and constitute dangerous play.

At a subsequent IRB High Performance Referee Seminar at Lensbury referees were advised that for these types of tackles they were to start at red card as a sanction and work backwards.

Unfortunately these types of tackles are still being made and the purpose of this memorandum is to emphasize that they must be dealt with severely by referees and all those involved in the off-field disciplinary process.

To summarise, the possible scenarios when a tackler horizontally lifts a player off the

ground:

1 The player is lifted and then forced or "speared" into the ground. A red card should be issued for this type of tackle.

>>>>>2 The lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player's safety. A red card should be issued for this type of tackle.<<<<<

3 For all other types of dangerous lifting tackles, it may be considered a penalty or yellow card is sufficient.

Referees and Citing Commissioners should not make their decisions based on what they consider was the intention of the offending player. Their decision should be based on an objective assessment (as per Law 10.4 (e)) of the circumstances of the tackle.

Memorandum from Paddy O’Brien , head of refs at IRB; New Zealander by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.