• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Bitch, moan and discuss - Referees and Law Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
There's no way a TV reply could ever get as gfood a 3D view of it as a person. Having said that, Barnes should have asked for a replay. Something like: over-rule only if you think it clearly went through.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Having had a chance to see most of the games from the weekend I would like to say the following:
1. Rucks are still a mess. Tacklers are not releasing the tackled player and allowing them to play the ball.
2. Players off their feet with hands in trying to pilfer ball.
3. Offside at rucks. This gets progressively worse during most games. They need to get the opposition way onside so there can not be any doubt. What are the ass reffs doing?
4. Forward passes. Dont get me started here. Again ass reffs call.
5. Players ahead of kicker. Esp when off the back of a ruck by a scrummie.
6. Lineouts. The place for the hooker to stand is in the middle, and he must then throw the ball down the middle. Some hookers stand closer to their own line. Again get the ass reff to manage this.

Otherwise I suppose I am happy with things so far. I can accept mistakes, but I see these more as trends and would like them to be better policed.

W

wikman

Steve Walsh's call, or lack there of for France's first try was shocking, blatant and obvious. Happened more with him as ref but haven't found it yet.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
There was a similar call last year when the Wallabies played Italy in Florence; did the referee ask for it to be checked or did the TMO just tell him it was a goal?

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
There's no way a TV reply could ever get as gfood a 3D view of it as a person. Having said that, Barnes should have asked for a replay. Something like: over-rule only if you think it clearly went through.
Why would he do that? He asked his ARs as if they were sure they said yes. If he then decides to ignore them anyway and go upstairs it doesn't exactly show confidence or support for his ARs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He should have called for the TV Match Official because it was very, very close and he has that option available to him in the laws of the game.

If it had been a try that was close, there is absolutely no question that it would have been reviewed.

The ARs are 35+ metres away from him and had to make a decision on the spot. I don't blame them for anything. Barnes should have used common sense and reviewed it. Clearly from the view he had it was not obvious that it missed.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
He should have called for the TV Match Official because it was very, very close and he has that option available to him in the laws of the game.

If it had been a try that was close, there is absolutely no question that it would have been reviewed.

The ARs are 35+ metres away from him and had to make a decision on the spot. I don't blame them for anything. Barnes should have used common sense and reviewed it. Clearly from the view he had it was not obvious that it missed.

Scoring a try amongst a pile of bodies is different from somebody standing directly underneath a stick saying if it passed to the left or right of it.

Barnes used perfect common sense. He ignored the players & listened the the guys who had the best view on the planet as to what had happened.

As we've all witnessed now, the TV replays are inconclusive, at best. So it just would have been a waste of everybodies time.

Thus, Barnes was perfect in his execution.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep. I don't see what a TV review would've done seeing it's still not conclusive to everyone after thousands of replays. The end of the day the two guys with the best view were the touchies and so you'd have to say they made the right call.

A

antipodean

Why would Barnes have to review it if his touch judges are in agreement?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
From Planet Rugby

England lock forward Courtney Lawes has been handed a two-game suspension for recklessly striking Argentina hooker Mario Ledesma last Saturday.

Rugby World Cup organisers confirmed the news on Tuesday, with the Northampton second-row now set to miss the games against Georgia and Romania.

Serves him right. Let's hope this fine young player learns from it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Because it was clearly very close and if anything, it looked like it went through from where Barnes was standing and the laws of the game allow for the TMO to be utilised in that situation.

I would have thought that was enough to warrant it. Surely the overall goal is to achieve correct decisions. I'm not saying the TMO would have overturned the decision, but it certainly seemed like the right time to use the technology.

The trouble is if the 3 officials don't think there is a problem they won't ask the TMO.

Nor should they. Folks are assuming they had a problem with it. They didn't.

LG

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Let's hope this fine young cannibal learns from it.

Yes! There is definitely a resemblance with Roland Gift from the Fine Young Cannibals.
220px-Roland_Gift.jpg

Courtney-Lawes-001.jpg

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
Perhaps the IRB should stipulate that all match venues have goal posts taller than anyone can kick, lets say 30 metres :lmao:

A

antipodean

From Planet Rugby

England lock forward Courtney Lawes has been handed a two-game suspension for recklessly striking Argentina hooker Mario Ledesma last Saturday.
I accept it was reckless, but this just highlights the inconsistency from the judiciary.

Because it was clearly very close and if anything, it looked like it went through from where Barnes was standing
Lets agree Barnes is the best judge of that.

Perhaps the IRB should stipulate that all match venues have goal posts taller than anyone can kick, lets say 30 metres :lmao:
That would be a disastrously daft idea in Windy Wellington. The poles would be swaying all over the place.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Penrith rugby club antipodean? What attracts you to the EMus or do you live in the area (I had presumed you were NZ based)

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Scoring a try amongst a pile of bodies is different from somebody standing directly underneath a stick saying if it passed to the left or right of it.

Barnes used perfect common sense. He ignored the players & listened the the guys who had the best view on the planet as to what had happened.

As we've all witnessed now, the TV replays are inconclusive, at best. So it just would have been a waste of everybodies time.

Thus, Barnes was perfect in his execution.

IMHO Barnes did OK. Not the first time a ref has got it wrong (if he did), and not the last.

I wonder if he is getting the same grief from the Welsh as he copped from NZers over the 2007 QF game.

Probs not given that this was not a knockout game, but a Wels victory would have made it easier for them to progress from the Pool of Death.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It was interesting in the Fiji v Namibia game. The ball went in goal and a player from both teams went for the ball. Nigel Owens blew his whistle and asked the TMO the right questions. The response was that neither side had grounded the ball. It should have been play on, (I forget if the ball went dead, or not.) It just goes to show that you may as well ground the ball after such an incident if the whistle hasn't blown yet. You never know.

What happened next? Owens ordered a 22 drop out.

Does anybody remember how the ball got over the goal line?

Status
Not open for further replies.