• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rugby World Cup 2023

zer0

John Thornett (49)
lmao what a bunch of cucks.

Also, doesn't a blatant shoulder charge like that - and the previously posted SBW fuck wittery - eliminate all mitigating factors? i.e., it's a clear act of deliberate foul play.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's no argument, he was just posting it as info in a RWC thread. Wasn't a comparison to Farrell.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
It really doesn't seem to me like there is any substantial change in the ball carrier's trajectory. He's coming towards Farrell the whole time and Farrell is getting ready to "tackle" him.

The drop in height doesn't seem more than you have to expect from a ball carrier.

There's nowhere near enough lateral shift in the ball carrier's path due to George's involvement to suggest that Farrell wouldn't have contacted him high if not for George.

Seems a very hard decision to defend in my view.
I agree, but playing devil's advocate, I think the camera angles are a bit deceptive. Using the 5m from touch line as a reference point, you can see in the below photos that George pushes Basham across a about a metre (left foot to left foot) towards touch/Farrell

Point of George's first contact
1692146607016.png

Point of Farrell's first contact
1692146785233.png

As you said, Farrell's positioning suggests he was always going to put on a shitty and likely high tackle, but I can understand how the panel thought George's involvement worsened the outcome.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I disagree, qwerty. The Moala video has been posted all over twitter clearly to compare against the Farrell decision.

Moala deserved a ban for that. Maybe five weeks was debateable, but stamp that shit out of the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I disagree, qwerty.

I think qwerty was suggesting that I posted it in this thread not to make a point but just because it is news which is entirely the point of my post.

It is a new judiciary outcome which is relevant to the RWC and I hadn't seen it posted before.

If I'd wanted to make a comparison or use it to further my argument I would have. I intentionally said nothing.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
I agree, but playing devil's advocate, I think the camera angles are a bit deceptive. Using the 5m from touch line as a reference point, you can see in the below photos that George pushes Basham across a about a metre (left foot to left foot) towards touch/Farrell

Point of George's first contact
View attachment 17275

Point of Farrell's first contact
View attachment 17278

As you said, Farrell's positioning suggests he was always going to put on a shitty and likely high tackle, but I can understand how the panel thought George's involvement worsened the outcome.

This is all irrelevant because, as per the "Head Contact Process, 9th March 2023"...

uhcp-en.png

Right there in red and white. "Mitigation will not apply for intentional or always-illegal acts of foul play".

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He doesn’t drive up. And nobody ever drives down in a tackle. He basically hits and then stands in the tackle once the player bounced. He hasn’t gone swinging into the head.

This is part of the hoopla reaction that rugby suffers from these days.
You just described "up".

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
You just described "up".
Driving up and ‘up’ are completely different things. Loading up and driving is like doing a squat and powering through the motion. Projecting up to have some level of force so you don’t get barreled over is a completely different conversation. The only tackles front on where players don’t project up even slightly are grass cutter because you project body earlier.

Look I think he should have got banned through consistency. But you’d think he swinging arms a guy and completely took the guys head off from a loaded position with the reaction.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Right there in red and white. "Mitigation will not apply for intentional or always-illegal acts of foul play".
I don’t believe shoulder-to-head contact in a tackle is (always) considered an intentional or always illegal act, which is intended for striking and the like.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I disagree, qwerty. The Moala video has been posted all over twitter clearly to compare against the Farrell decision.

Moala deserved a ban for that. Maybe five weeks was debateable, but stamp that shit out of the game.
It should be compared and questioned.

The Pacific Island teams have often been penalised, carded and suspended for hits deemed to be dangerous - even when it was questionable and before there was such an emphasis on head contact. It is VERY rare that they would get away with what Farrell has done here particularly given that he has done this multiple times.

Put him in a Manu Samoa jersey and he would be out for at least 4 weeks - like Moala.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don’t believe shoulder-to-head contact in a tackle is (always) considered an intentional or always illegal act, which is intended for striking and the like.
My understanding is that while the head contact might not be the shoulder charge aspect of it is.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
My understanding is that while the head contact might not be the shoulder charge aspect of it is.
I wonder if the left arm clearly wrapping (as much as you can for a should charge) meant the panel didn’t see it as a shoulder charge, but an upright tackle?

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
It should be compared and questioned.

The Pacific Island teams have often been penalised, carded and suspended for hits deemed to be dangerous - even when it was questionable and before there was such an emphasis on head contact. It is VERY rare that they would get away with what Farrell has done here particularly given that he has done this multiple times.

Put him in a Manu Samoa jersey and he would be out for at least 4 weeks - like Moala.
Any evidence to back this up?