• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Agree totally MST. The "myth" of running rugby and the constant referals to a ball in hand game seems to drive most coaches who have something more than the safe risk free game plan of Foley/Hickey.

The issue I whinge about constantly is what I see as the de-skilling of our players. Up to 1998 we had two fullbacks who could kick the ball 22 to 22 and wingers who could as well. In came Macqueen's constant recycle game and kicking was a last resort to a large degree and those two fullbacks could be totally relied upon. A passing and deep support game with running lines and players in movement gave way to close support and constant rucks. Then comes Eddie's play by the numbers and the kicking of those two fullbacks remained the only real kickers in the Australia game. Now all the younger players seeing that kicking was out and being able to bash the ball up and secure the next ruck as well as water tight defence was the way to a test jersey concentrated all their training and development on those points. Gone was the hours of kicking, passing and running line practice. We envy the NZ game with its high speed passing and offloads and counter attack. But the feature that is lost in Australia media coverage and on many fans is that the successful NZ side including the ABs kick, a lot, and they kick very effectively.

We need to recapture that complete Rugby game, that set Rugby apart fully from League. But to do it our players need to regain the skills they have lost to a large degree.

Reactions: mst

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The only memorable advertising campaign that I can recall was the one that characterised the players as animals. Think it might have been the lead up to the 2003 RWC?

But I think only a born optimist would deny that the game here was on a roll here then, we had some great creative players, rugby was actually popular.
RWC Pool games were sold out in the unlikeliest places.

What went wrong? The game went wrong. If the market does not want the product that you are promoting, you can be the best marketer in the world and not achieve anything more than temporary blips.

Let's face it. Learning to love rugby is a bit like learning to love eating oysters. It takes time. And one bad experience early on and that's it, you quit.

Unfortunately we have too many bad games amongst the good.

I'd argue against that Wamberal. In the 80s and 90s Rugby was very popular. It was as MST said a very different product to what League offered. I think the decline began in 1997-1998 and the RWC in 2003 disguised the issue to a large degree. Remember that the country, especially Syndey was still on a high from the 2000 Olympics and RWC effectively leveraged off that big event momentum.

I loved the RWC spectacle but the Wallabies game under Jones was pretty dire. A homogeny across the positions was brought in with the scrum completely disregarded

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So really, in regards to game play its more about the philosophy and choice of the values we instil into "our" game v's winning at all costs.

I am wondering if a long time ago the Kiwi's hit this same dilemma (except I think their's emanates from too much of a good thing becoming bland), and made a concious decision to make all young rugby players with talent play ITM with a "once chance only to impress: sales pitch ultimatum, Super 15 is to be all out attacking and flair, and the All Blacks can play what's needed to win everything.

This was then made law by the NZRU and its why they can cater for all types of supporter, and why they can serve the same meal everyday but we just cant get enough.

Nobody forced them to play that way, but they have chosen to play for the love of the game, and play the game that they want to play, rather then to win.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The only memorable advertising campaign that I can recall was the one that characterised the players as animals. Think it might have been the lead up to the 2003 RWC?

As I said I in the past I wish one day the ARU would invest in a long term marketing strategy and do a part reality TV thing (personally I hate it) and follow players through from the early days to the Wallabies or as far as they get (yes there will be a sad story or two).

For example Scott Sio - If we had of started say 3 years ago doing segments of his progression, following him and his development we would all be hooked on the story and updates of his journey to the WC - living his dream.

The story would market itself to so many level and from school boys to those in premier grades, it would give them hope and inspiration, For us older lot, we would be invested in his journey knowing if he makes it what it would mean to him - and if he scored a try at the WC it would nearly bring a tear to an old man's eye.

I actually think it could bring in a new audience demographic.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Saturday night will be an interesting litmus test. No local rugby for a couple of weeks, a game against a traditional rival, Suncorp, fine conditions, first home game for Cheika, on and on.

This game should get good ratings and a crowd well into the forties.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saturday night will be an interesting litmus test. No local rugby for a couple of weeks, a game against a traditional rival, Suncorp, fine conditions, first home game for Cheika, on and on.

This game should get good ratings and a crowd well into the forties.

crowd is tracking mid-30s apparently.

And as for that Wallaby players as animals campaign? Reckon that was more late 90s as Eales was a part of it (spider)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

And as for that Wallaby players as animals campaign? Reckon that was more late 90s as Eales was a part of it (spider)

Mid 30's is a bit of a worry. I wonder if its indicative of a supported base that is a little sceptical and wanting to see what's going to be served up before they are willing to commit?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

I've been looking for that spider photo of Eales for, like, forever. Was going to be my avatar originally here, but could never find it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Interesting article by Roy Masters in today's Hurled. The gist of it is that the next TV deals for the AFL and NRL will be huge, and will also be the last of their kind because of the rapid emergence of pay-for-view.

According to Masters, the AFL has a production team of 150 producing content now.

Where will all this leave us? Perhaps with a little bit more opportunity on conventional TV.

But the likelihood of the ARU being able to produce quality content for sale is nonexistent.

The odds are that the rich will get richer, and the poor will get poorer.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Saw yesterday that the NRL will probably have games on Thursday, Friday and Monday nights in 2017, plus a couple of games each on Saturday and Sunday.

Split across 3 networks and scheduled when the TV networks want them. For 28 weeks of the year. And then add in a month of finals, State of Origin, and the test matches

half

Alan Cameron (40)
As I said I in the past I wish one day the ARU would invest in a long term marketing strategy and do a part reality TV thing (personally I hate it) and follow players through from the early days to the Wallabies or as far as they get (yes there will be a sad story or two).

I could not agree more about the need for a good communication process. Below I have copied part of an email and some youtubes as well sent from a mate who works in advertising and marketing. He said FFA have been very clever and very strategic and it paying off in terms of government relationships, media, sponsors etc.

Sometimes we forget how important having a strategic communication policy is and with Frank Lowy as its head FFA with his experience of positioning Weatfields to where it is today has done an unbelievable job in this regard.

To part of his email when I had asked him a question about sport in general. I actually remember all these and I don’t follow soccer in any great detail. He also copied a couple of their ads they sent to football forums and says they don’t show much about the game they show the fans having fun which he says is aimed at the youth and other codes can’t see it coming as they still promote the big hits.

Back to the email
That is the point of their communications strategy. Football has only sent a handful of ‘key messages’ into the culture in the last decade, they are all strategic:

1. ‘Old soccer is now new football’ (launch message).
2. ‘We are football’ (claiming our community identity).
3. ‘Australia is a part of the world’s biggest game’ (aspiration for Australia).
4. ‘Football is the fastest growing sport in Australia’ (get on board with everyone else).
5. ‘The Socceroos represent contemporary Australia better than any other national team’ (Australian identity).
6. ‘Football will be the number one sport in Australia’ (aspiration for the game).

You should expect this messaging to last a little longer yet. It’s strategic purpose is obvious, but all the experts will tell you – as a challenging product the messaging must be consistent, ongoing and simple.

The FFA are being very disciplined in this.

The youtubes he sent as well, and you can see the “We are Football” in the ads and remember they showed a couple of times on TV but in the main where sent through their social media networks. The launch ad is brilliant.

United - Hyundai A-League 2011/2012 TV Commercial

Hyundai A-League - WE ARE FOOTBALL.

Launch ad

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
...and we wonder why we didn't notice how and when it was "they" passed us in their flashy new Hyundai.

I think we were head down under the bonnet on the side of the road trying to patch up the old EH again. Yes its a classic, worked well, got best in show in '91 & '99 and is well known, but as some point we need to trade it in, cut the emotional and sentimental ties and admit its just just not doing the job any more........

half

Alan Cameron (40)
mst

TBH I was gob smacked when I watched those youtubes. They are so clever not big hits in fact only a few shots of any matches and those parts that are matches are pure skill again see the message you don't get hurt and look how skilful we are. FFS that is so clever .

I was even more impressed about the list my mate listed of using his words
" key messages into the culture" and I actually remember them all as a non follower. Those youtubes make me want to go to an A-League match especially the We are Football one. I asked did he have any social posts to watch and he said he would get back in a couple of days and I asked him specifically to get one that RU should see an an eye opener.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
ARU needs to use the Reds youtube team to make promos and get them on TV.
The Reds know how to fire up supporters which is no mean feat.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
The ARU does not seem to think that consistency in broadcasting helps ratings.

Every Saturday night since the start of S15 I have watched a game, my wife knows that at some point I will be watching a game and realises this when we are planning what to do.

Last weekend there was nothing, how does this happen? Why doesn't the ARU put on a rematch of the NRC final, a golden oldies charity game, a possibles v probables as camp Wallaby etc.

By not having a game on it gives me the chance to look at the League instead and the ARU lose a set of eyeballs.

I think we need consistency so Rugby is part of your life, not just an opportunity.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We don't have the $$ for more content. It would be great to watch Aus A play like NZ Maori/NZ Barbarians do but we don't have the $$ to support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom