• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rugby players lost to other sports

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
A couple of years at Wests after some time at Newtown, and then poached by the silvertails along with half the Magpies team it would seem.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I had his footy card from Newtown days, with the full name, and a later one from I think Wests with the shortened version. Liked him as a player.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
absolutely, was he a lock or a loosie do you know? I'm guessing he's locking down with Kasprowicz. Edit : based on the Giddey pick up he can be 8 for now.
Ran into him at a pub one evening and had a few drinks with him. Top bloke with some great stories. Still pretty fit and a very large human! Would have been a devastating 8.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Does a player who was good at sport and went to a Rugby CAS school, played some rugby but changed codes and has had a huge career and is still playing...

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
Current Olympian and Basketball player Will Magnay is the brother of Campbell Magnay. Been on roster of NBA team, so obviously elite athlete. Was due to play a prominent role at Nudgee rugby team but ended up specializing basketball for obvious reasons.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Campbell was lauded as the next best centre in the world and ended up barely good enough to play consistent Super Rugby. I wonder if he had an opportunity to play basketball also, he's very tall although not as physically imposing as Will.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Not forgotten but I don’t think he counts as he didn’t really make a conscious choice to defect to another sport, it was more out of necessity. If he didn’t post weird shit on instagram he would probably still be fullback for the Wallabies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
JWH - Member of the Junior Wallabies U21 2007 win then the Central Coast Rays ARC Title. Would have been a hell of an 8.

Wasn't John (Duke) Hastings (Cricket) - a Aussie Schools Rugby player?