• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rugby players lost to other sports

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Bloody hell, just read about this kids story. What a shit way to force a kid to pick when he's still at school.

You could only imagine all our Hookers would be keen fro Roman to join, given Roman's hops, we'd never get an over throw in a lineout again!

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah it sucks but I also get it from their POV. He is playing another sport that won't help his Basketball that carriers a pretty heavy risk of injury.

I feel for him because he can obviously play Rugby and is doing a good thing representing his school and mates but has a bizarre professional pressure placed on him that's not normal.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeh I can see both sides of it - as a normal teenager, the way he wants to finish his education and school sports is entirely normal.

But from a career point of view - if he got drafted in the top 10 of an NBA draft and then was good enough to sign another contract after his rookie deal, he would essentially be setting up his family with generational wealth. Probably a hard concept for a kid his age to understand though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a bit hard to count him as lost though, despite him losing a contract because he played 1sts rugby while back in Brisbane, the kid looks entirely committed to Basketball and just wanted to finish the season with his mates like a normal grade 12.

Would be great to for the Reds/RA to build on that relationship with him though, if he does feel hard done by in Basketball he might give Rugby a proper crack, particularly given the community aspect is whats keeping him interested. Given the age locks/backrow come of age there's plenty of room for him to come back to rugby in a few years without having lost too much time. And if he does end up a star in the NBA he could bring some extra attention and star power to the Wallabies as a supporter at the 2031 world cup.

I'm certainly not suggesting he was ever a potential professional rugby player and was thus lost to us. He was always going to be a basketballer. This thread is just the one that makes sense to mention him and I know a reasonable amount about his basketball but nothing about his rugby so I thought I'd raise it here because others would be familiar with him if he's playing high level schoolboy rugby.
Bloody hell, just read about this kids story. What a shit way to force a kid to pick when he's still at school.

Another NBL team will sign him. He's meeting with three more this week I believe. I get it from the JackJumpers perspective. They're the reigning premiers and they can only sign 15 players. This kid will probably be with a team for one year only (maximum of two) so you don't really want to upset your whole system because of one kid who isn't likely to be a big piece of your team.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)

You could only imagine all our Hookers would be keen fro Roman to join, given Roman's hops, we'd never get an over throw in a lineout again!
He was under a professional sports contract - when you're in that spot your club decides what you can play. He clearly wasn't ready for that so they moved him on.