• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 8 - Rebels vs Brumbies, Saturday 7:45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can accept he didn't see the knee to Arnold's head, but either he, or the video ref should also have picked up on the fingers to Sio's face and eye area.

He did clearly see the knee when the video ref reviewed it, and somehow decided that despite there being contact it was only a yellow............ o_O

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Timani cops 4 weeks for the knee to Arnold.

Could have been 8 but for the good record and other mitigating factors

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not to defend Timani, but you have to wonder where the line is. He clearly aims to hit someone with his knee, but the contact is fairly negligible. Would someone receive the same penalty if the lash out with hands/fists and make a similar low level of contact. Should the facial grab have been a red? A yellow? How is kneeing someone to the head different to a shoulder charge to the head/no arms tackle to the head? Will that always be a red? A stricter line can be a good option to deter anything even a bit borderline but I guess it gets tricky where you look at things like tip tackles. I thought Fainga'a was hard done by with his yellow (player landed on chest/arms and it didn't look like he was driven down). Personally, I think for Timani that the in game yellow was fair and the 4 week suspension was also fair.

Plenty of stuff that could have been carded from both sides. I saw one from Ala'alatoa leading with the shoulder that flattened one of the Rebels which I thought warranted another look.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Thoughts on Cards

Colby should not have seen yellow, penalty would have been a harsh call as that was not a tip tackle.

Timani is lucky it was not red, but I don't think it was really deserving of mid level. Should have been entry level 3 weeks. With good behaviour should be 1 week. 4 weeks is a joke, even if it should be 8.

I saw Carter do the exact same thing as Ala'alatoa in the described above. Was no effort to wrap his arms.

Also would love a ref to call a scrum feed, Brumbies fed the locks a few times.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
But opposite to the Saffer commentators, who advocate for capital punishment for all offences.
Hey, our commentators only do so when it's not our teams involved. You gotta be accurate here.

We do notice it as supporters there's just not much we can do about it but shake our heads.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Timani is lucky it was not red, but I don't think it was really deserving of mid level. Should have been entry level 3 weeks. With good behaviour should be 1 week. 4 weeks is a joke, even if it should be 8.

I find this a little bewildering. There are a lot of minor things that can turn into to something major, tackling in the air, and tip tackling, for example, can be seen as not doing something deliberate. This example however could only be viewed as a deliberate act. He put his hand on Arnold's head and lifted his knee into his face. That, IMO is what makes the difference.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
First up, Colby's tackle was a tip tackle by the WR (World Rugby) definition. Legs were held above the rest of the body as the tackle was made. It was contributed to by the presence of another Rebel in the tackle as well, but Colby was primarily responsible for the legs being held above the body.

I also thought, at first, that AA's tackle was possibly no arms, but the replay shows he actually bound on the ball from the outset.

Can't say that I saw the suspect tackle apparently made by Sam Carter.

The biggest issue from the game imo is why wasn't Mafi cited for the hands/fingers over Sio's eyes? Put this with the failure to take action when a similar thing happened to Kane Douglas, and it is becoming clear that WR (World Rugby) edicts in some instances are having little or no effect.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does it annoy anyone else the way the Australian commentators try to talk down the significance of any dangerous or foul play? It's like they're trying to show how tough they are to their mates.

The TMO talked it down as well so everyone was at least consistent.

I think the fact that Fainga'a had just been yellow carded affected the situation (which it shouldn't). It is pretty much impossible for you to deem something intentional contact with the knee and not give it a red card.

Reactions: mst

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Didn't Quade cop a knee the to the ass and it was only a yellow? I think you mean to say intentional contact with the knee to the head.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The funny thing about those card incidents at the ground was, instead of showing the replay of Colby being pinged, the local producers put up a sideline fluff piece with a couple of competition winners. Jackson wouldn't have seen the footage either and must have gone with the TMO recommendation.

The Timani bit was there for all to see though. I didn't notice the knee, I thought he might of been looked at for something else - a tap on someone's chin. Must have taken one too many angry pills pre-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.