• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 8 - Rebels vs Brumbies, Saturday 7:45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hodge's defence was strong and he was bringing down some big runners. The one tackle I saw him miss also left him with an injured thumb.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The Brumbies brought about their own down fall. The ref was not good but didn't cause the loss. Very poor handling let the Brumbies down and giving away penalties within 60m is just not on with Hodge in the opponent's side.

I felt nervous about their ability to duplicate last week's efforts, remembering what happened last year after the trouncing of the Hurricanes in the first game.

For the first time this year, I have to be a little critical of Joey Powell too. Too often he just didn't look for the holes that existed around the ruck area before passing wide. Probably the game plan wanted fast ball out wide, but it is essential for the No 9 and No 10 to look for the mis-matches in the defensive line and aim the attack in that direction. Gaps were there tonight, but were not taken advantage of.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sunwolves staying above us by 1 point on points difference.

Looking at the conference with a game in hand and two in hand with the reds no longer looks so bad. Plus we only have 1 kiwi game to go, most oz teams still have 3.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

B

BLR

Sunwolves staying above us by 1 point on points difference.

Looking at the conference with a game in hand and two in hand with the reds no longer looks so bad. Plus we only have 1 kiwi game to go, most oz teams still have 3.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

You're gonna win the league.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Next 4 weeks, the Brumbies have Hurricanes (away), Blues (home), bye and Lions (home). Not many points on offer there, I suspect. Big chance for the Rebels, and others, to look to take the conference lead.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Next 4 weeks, the Brumbies have Hurricanes (away), Blues (home), bye and Lions (home). Not many points on offer there, I suspect. Big chance for the Rebels, and others, to look to take the conference lead.
Problem I see with that is the Tahs' inability to play 2 decent halves at one sitting, the Reds defence (their attack yesterday was wonderful though) and the inconsistency with Aus teams in general. The Rebels and Force might ride a wave of anger, determination and "fuck you, ARU" sentiment for a bit, but the Brumbies will be hard to peg back as their fundamentals seem reasonably well ahead of the others.

Reactions: TSR

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
We were very lucky to win that, between Harewa's kicking, and Jackson's lottery based refereeing turning our way in the last 5 minutes.

But we're nowhere near as bad as many (not necessarily here) have been proclaiming.

And if the Brumbies are the best side in Australia, there's no chance at all of the Australian team winning its quarter, let alone having a chance at the title.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Timani should cop a lengthy ban........

That was a dog act and the way the refs handled that was pathetic.

It was a clear red.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It really is just mind blowing that it wasn't a red on the field.

Does it annoy anyone else the way the Australian commentators try to talk down the significance of any dangerous or foul play? It's like they're trying to show how tough they are to their mates.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Does it annoy anyone else the way the Australian commentators try to talk down the significance of any dangerous or foul play? It's like they're trying to show how tough they are to their mates.

To be fair though the NZ commentators do that as well..........

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Or as Mrs FF (Folau Fainga'a) has consistently said over the last several years of Super rugby, "The Australian commentators are given a script to stick to. No matter what."

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Mafi can consider himself VERY lucky he didn't get cited for this contact with the eye area. He knew exactly what he was doing and it was not accidental. It's a minimum 12 week ban under the laws.

mafi eyes.gif

Timani is looking at minimum 4 for lower end or 8 if they think it's mid range.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Mafi can consider himself VERY lucky he didn't get cited for this contact with the eye area. He knew exactly what he was doing and it was not accidental. It's a minimum 12 week ban under the laws.

View attachment 9127

What's LT's history with the judiciary? Can he get a reduced sentence?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think he'll miss the South African tour at least, probably the Lions game too, and if it's viewed unfavorably, the Reds game.

I'd be seriously surprised and disappointed if it was any longer than that, assuming his record is good/limited.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

View attachment 9127

So, why wasn't he cited? Not wanting to see Mafi outed for anything like 12 weeks, but there was such a thing made of tightening up the head and eyes areas by WR (World Rugby) that some action really is needed. The citing officer should have to explain.

Just on those incidents - I was amazed at the time that the tip tackle wasn't picked up by Jackson. It was very obvious and straight in front of him. Then he made the unbelievable decision to play penalty advantage to the Rebels. Incredible. I can accept he didn't see the knee to Arnold's head, but either he, or the video ref should also have picked up on the fingers to Sio's face and eye area.

Jackson really is one of the least competent refs going around, but for all that, he wasn't in any way responsible for the Brumbies losing the game - they did that all on their own.

Reactions: mst
Status
Not open for further replies.