• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 2 - Force vs Reds, NIB Stadium, 2nd March @ 6:30pm (AWST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Rugby Heaven headline. So instead of reporting something postive about the Force they focus on a negative that detracts from the Force performance. What Wankers!! This headline could of been "Force March On" Instead we get "Nabuli's hat-trick not enough for Queensland Reds against Western Force". Well fuck me if only Nabuli could of scored 4.

"Force fight back for gutsy win".....no just way too positive.

It's an article penned for a Queensland audience, it's a headline article for the Brisbane Times, and naturally as a department of Fairfax it's also published on Rugby Heaven.

It's clickbait headlines, they are designed to appeal to a target demographic. And, I suppose the reality is that Fairfax has historical data from previous articles to suggest there are more Rugby fans in QLD then there are in WA, so the headline is one which appeals to Queenslander and not WA.

Likewise with Foxsports, many of those articles are ones pulled from The Courier Mail or Daily Telegraph so they're always going to have a certain angle to them.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
But to all the doom and gloom reds fans who are writing us off after that performance, I will point out two things.
1. The ball was like soap; and
2. That's exactly how we play against the Force. Watch pretty much any game between the two teams in the last few years and they will be pretty much that standard. We will be fine against the Crusaders next week.

Why? The years the Reds were good they had no issues getting bogged down. Who was our coach in those last few years? Let's not compare Stiles with him yet, I'm still expecting better before mouthing off about global searches and what not.

Is it to much to expect a new coach might not have the same issues. Not doom and gloom yet but was hoping for a different standard this year. Oh the ball was like soap? You are a professional, adjust you fucking game. Bit like Eddie whinging about Italians.

Anyway, well played Force. Hope you have a good season and are in the comp for many more years. Please beat the Rebels twice to put it beyond doughty who should stay.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I personally am happy to be able to watch a game like this on a Thursday night - so never thought I would be grateful to Justin Beaver for having a concert..but yes I am
The Thursday scheduling is down to a Justin Bieber concert at nib Stadium and the need to get the stadium set up I believe.

It isn't the ARU wanting a Thursday game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Presumably they chose the time: I'm happy with Thursday games even if it gives Justin beiber a chance to perform

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm very impressed by young Duncan.

Force in Perth were always going to be tough for the reds to beat. This year even more so, since they have everything to play for. There will be a lot more horrific performances by the reds as they try to develop their game and the coaching team find their feet. If the reds win their home games, then I think that's probably more than what could be expected really.

QC (Quade Cooper)'s confidence is so utterly low that it's quite possibly non existent. He is in dire need of a sports psychologist who can direct his thoughts. His game play at the moment is just terrible and there is no denying it. Focus Quade!!!!!!!!!!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
First up, I don't think it is doom and gloom for the Reds. Those conditions were pretty awful with the ball as slippery as hell. Both sides had great trouble with their handling, but the Force were slightly better.

Taking the conditions into account, it was an enjoyable game to watch. Both sides played with enterprise and conviction. I think we have seen the emergence of a couple of future Wallaby wings in Nabuli and Peni. Naisarani was also very strong off the bench for the Force. Both Louwrens and Ruru had strong games at No 9 for the Force.

And as an impartial viewer (with just a slight favouring of the Reds) I thought the Ref had a fairly decent game - better than any I watched last week. The new laws or interpretations about the high tackles is causing too much concern. I don't think he got any of the decisions on high tackles wrong, but as it stands they are not contributing to the game much at all.

I also think it is unfair to call Reds loss catastrophic as Force have recruited well and have the makings of a very good side that should only improve as noting Rona and Peni only finding their feet back in Union, Meakes adjusting to Super Rugby, and new players like Nasraini (sorry I probably have misspelt) also adjusting to super rugby.

Force have a lot of potential to be one of top Oz conference sides - but note word potential...I hope their fans get behind them and look forward to seeing what they can play like in drier playing conditions.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Humidity at the game was very high by the time I got to the top of grandstand and sat down it felt like I was in a sauna! No wonder there was a lot of dropped ball.

This in the first couple of minutes was great to watch;

This must have shocked so many people, honestly it caught me completely off guard. Been a long time since we put together such a great starter play off a set piece and had it work as well.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm very impressed by young Duncan.

Force in Perth were always going to be tough for the reds to beat. This year even more so, since they have everything to play for. There will be a lot more horrific performances by the reds as they try to develop their game and the coaching team find their feet. If the reds win their home games, then I think that's probably more than what could be expected really.

QC (Quade Cooper)'s confidence is so utterly low that it's quite possibly non existent. He is in dire need of a sports psychologist who can direct his thoughts. His game play at the moment is just terrible and there is no denying it. Focus Quade!!!!!!!!!!
I agree. He's trying too many low percentage plays, when he doesn't need to, and getting into a lot of shoving and rubbish after the whistle (although I think a few are targeting him to put him off, which might be working). He doesn't look calm and composed. Puzzling as he has been very upbeat about the pre-season. Hopefully it comes together soon.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Did you happen to notice there were 1000 dropped balls in that game. From pretty much everyone. I wouldnt be criticising anyone's ball handling from that.

Meakes was still the most influential centre in the game and came up with enough clutch plays to show he has substance.

I did notice that. But what I have also noticed is that Meakes also had issue with ball security at times in the NRC last season. I'm not trying to right the guy off. I used to watch the guy play club Rugby and wonder why he hadn't been signed up yet. He's a talented footballer but he does at times carry loosely.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
As a Quade fan it's hard to say, but when has he been better than this since 2012? He stil trades on his 2011 reputation.

When he's calm, composed and has direction and control to his game he is better than Foley. When he gets riled up and starts doing silly little steps in front of the defensive line and throwing miracle balls he's a liability. Seemed a strategy to throw him off from the start. Force played smart footy last night.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Super impressed that the Force were able to take that game in the 2nd half minus Coleman and Lance - probably the 2 most important players in the squad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd agree with this, but I think many Force fans would argue for Hodgson and McCalman. But before the coaches go tinkering with the forward pack, I have to say that last night's backrow was very instrumental in gaining the win. Very impressed with Koteka at 7, and Hardwick was again very good when he came on. RHP and Stander add the "mongrel" that allowed the forwards to gain dominance at the breakdown. It was a very impressive showing by all four players imo.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to the Force.

One positive, and there weren't many was that frisby's box kicking was less frequent and better than last week and he did not kick at all in general play (I think)

Plenty of negatives but I'll collect my thoughts first.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I hear you WCR on Meakes but the ball was like soap yesterday and problem for a lot of players - his distribution was very good last night.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Noticed when how Coleman went off Matt Philips stepped up another gear - especially in the lineout..

Looks like Matt Philips coming of age...but yes depth in locks with injuries a concern with Matlow, Coleman looking to be out for a while (I think the former is out for the season) and RHP with Matt Philips not really a strong lock combination as lacking any height.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Well done to the Force. For the first time I think they look like they have a dangerous backline. Peni in particular looked very quick, the centres were good and Louwrens was very good at halfback. Like Reg I thought once they lost Coleman and Lance they were done but was wrong. Seems like a much more effective team than we have seen in the past, kudos to the coaching and recruitment and good to see so many WA developed players in the team.

The Reds showed some very good moments in difficult conditions. The substitutions seemed to come late, especially in those conditions I would have thought that fresh legs would have been good earlier. I would have liked to have seen Ready come on earlier, I'm not really noticing much impact from Moore - not doing anything wrong but doesn't seem dominant around the field and our scrum struggled. Perhaps someone with better front row understanding can correct me but he seemed to shovel passes to players who got smashed rather than take the contact himself and the lineout was not effective. Perese looked good in his limited time, glad to see him get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.