• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 14 : Reds v Force 24 May (Suncorp)

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
Knocked out first game.
Positive is we've already beaten the chiefs once this year.

Down side is we beat them in the regular season last year then lost to them in the finals.

If the Reds turn up we've a decent chance of making the semi. From there it's anyone's bet....

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
They have the wood on the chiefs, so could go either way, but out the 4 finals team that's probably the one the Reds fancy themselves against the most.
Dreaming. In NZ in finals reds will lose by 20. I hope they don't. But that's the odds

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)

Down side is we beat them in the regular season last year then lost to them in the finals.

If the Reds turn up we've a decent chance of making the semi. From there it's anyone's bet....
Playing in NZ in finals rugby the reds will need to play their best rugby that we haven't seen and the chiefs would need to be slightly off

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Really fascinating how we played that. Both wins by the Force over us this season they have been all over us at the breakdown. But they couldn’t get near us there tonight. Tizzano surprisingly quiet.

I put it down to our physicality in attack. We battered them. As one of the commentators observed, those two kiwi props are key here.

liam Wright superb too and Bryant his best match for Qld.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty good yes…. Definitely not SUPERB.
I’m happy to stand by my assessment. They were everywhere while they were on the field and the Reds put 59 points on, played flat and fast attacking footy, won the kicking game and were better defensively. One of the best performances I’ve seen by an Aussie halves pairing for some time.

But hey - if you really feel the need to mark them down from ‘Superb’ to ‘Pretty Good’ that’s okay.

And yes - I’m most definitely a Reds man. And a very happy one.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Ryan not only scored three tries but (I think) had another taken off for an infringement earlier in the movement and was on hand for probably another three or four if he had been needed. He certainly looks the goods.

However, I wouldn't personally like to see him in the Wallabies against Wales. Same with Corey Toole. I expect the Welsh will be peppering the back three with high bombs most of the game so I think it would be best to go with Nawaqanitawase on one wing and another bigger frame who's also good under the high ball (Pietsch, Sapsford style of player) on the other with Tom Wright at 15. Failing a suitable player for the other wing, then Kellaway but he was outjumped last night by Andy Muirhead. Not a resounding reference.

The test against Georgia might be an opportunity for the likes of Ryan and/or Toole to get some time at this level.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Really fascinating how we played that. Both wins by the Force over us this season they have been all over us at the breakdown. But they couldn’t get near us there tonight. Tizzano surprisingly quiet.

I put it down to our physicality in attack. We battered them. As one of the commentators observed, those two kiwi props are key here.

liam Wright superb too and Bryant his best match for Qld.
I was impressed with the post contact metres all the forwards were getting and the speed of the ruck

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
1716637990115.png

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ryan not only scored three tries but (I think) had another taken off for an infringement earlier in the movement and was on hand for probably another three or four if he had been needed. He certainly looks the goods.

However, I wouldn't personally like to see him in the Wallabies against Wales. Same with Corey Toole. I expect the Welsh will be peppering the back three with high bombs most of the game so I think it would be best to go with Nawaqanitawase on one wing and another bigger frame who's also good under the high ball (Pietsch, Sapsford style of player) on the other with Tom Wright at 15. Failing a suitable player for the other wing, then Kellaway but he was outjumped last night by Andy Muirhead. Not a resounding reference.

The test against Georgia might be an opportunity for the likes of Ryan and/or Toole to get some time at this level.
The other one he knocked on anyway. I agree. Ryan should only be used as injury cover if we have no good option. Let him work into it next year at super rugby level. We have good options with mark, korebete ?, tool. Tbh we have too many good full backs and not enough wingers. Wright has to start for wallabies this year and we might not use mark since he is bailing.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well done Reds. Speed and handling in what looked like slippery conditions I thought was excellent. As others have already pointed out, ruck security was much better. Up tempo, fast ball all night.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)

It's up front where they will need to win it against the top of the table teams. The Canes and Blues in particular just have a lot of raw power in their squads. When things really become a grind it doesn't seem to suit the Reds natural style of play so much.

Last edited:

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
It's up front where they will need to win it against the top of the table teams. The Canes and in particular just have a lot of raw power in their squads. When things really become a grind it doesn't seem to suit the Reds natural style of play so much.
Yeah that's my worry with the Reds - it depends which side turns up.

A firing Reds can do (or go honorably close) any side on their day....