• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 11 Reds V Lions Sat Apr 28 3:05PM Suncorp Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Thanks Reds for ensuring a NZ team finishes Week 11 top of the table :) Seriously though where has that Reds performance been hiding all season? Must be some kinda coach that Brad Thorn fulla, eh?

Crashy

John Solomon (38)
Crowd reportee circa 12500. I decided to watch the shute shield game on channel 7 instead...bummer

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Not horrible from the reds. Wonderful 1st half (it was basically 2011 again) and pretty bleh in the 2nd half. Still, beating the 2nd placed team (on points I should add) is no mean feat

The Reds were so flat in the second half as they pretty much doubled the amount of tackles and time spent in defence compared to the lions. They were absolutely shelled.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great effort from the Reds, leveraged a great start and held on against a good side. I thought both locks were very good. They did a load of work.

Stewart look pretty good as well, he helped set the tone early by putting his body on the line diving on a lose ball to get a turnover

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
COMREDS!!!! TODAY WE CELEBRATE GENERAL THORN AND COMMANDER KEREVI LEADING THE PEOPLE'S ARMY TO VICTORY OVER THE CAPITALIST SCUM OF JOHANNESBURG! PARADES SHALL BE HELD ON MONDAY TO CELEBRATE THIS GLORIOUS VICTORY IN KING GEORGE RED(S) SQUARE!

IN THE MEANTIME, LET US SING OUR VICTORY SONG:

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
redstand_zps19rcc9hn.jpg

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Just on the Red Army, does that guy who paints himself red still go to the games?

He used to sit at the Caxton street end.

Just on the game. That second half, there seemed to be an inevitability to the tries when the Lions forwards got on a roll with the pill, they are monsters. The Reds defence slowed down the scoring of the tries and the Lions ran out of time to win the game. Gutsy effort.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Just on the Red Army, does that guy who paints himself red still go to the games?

He used to sit at the Caxton street end.

Just on the game. That second half, there seemed to be an inevitability to the tries when the Lions forwards got on a roll with the pill, they are monsters. The Reds defence slowed down the scoring of the tries and the Lions ran out of time to win the game. Gutsy effort.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

Actually I have seen him at earlier games, but didn't notice him today, though that doesn't mean much. Thought the Reds went well, take my words back wondering why G Smith was picked, he went bloody well. Bit disappointed with crowd, can understand why some gave it a miss, but ...... Anyway a win was good to see, and will be interested to see if the Lions bounce back, or wil their bubble burst?

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Good step forward by the Red's this week and still more room to improve with experience, pity the same can't be said about the Brumbies.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well I will say this Zero Cool, I think you’re backing the right horse. Hamish Stewart showed plenty potential and more game time will give him the confidence to come out of his shell properly, particularly so in the kicking department. Hope he gets a few more starts this year.

The first half by the Reds was a cracker, and the Lions showed why they are one of the favourites for the title with their strong showing in the second half.

Great result for the Reds.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I enjoyed that.

I do wonder about the contrast of the two Reds sides that have played this year. One of them very organised and committed in defence and very disciplined with not conceding penalties and the other much the opposite.

Hopefully that is just a product of the youth in the side and consistency will come.

Hopefully Timu’s injury is nothing serious - he has been immense. Rodda also outstanding.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Week 12 and 13 games for the Lions will be interesting across the Dutch after that loss against the Reds.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Any news on Rodda's injury? He went down behind the try line in the 2nd half clutching at his shoulder or thereabouts, then seemingly the medics did something good because he joined the scrum, but then right at the end in the last passage of play of the game he went over to the right wing clutching his shoulder again, trying to hide so he wouldn't be caught out in defence but then the play went that way and he just had a lunge at the ball as it seemed he was unable to tackle so I imagine the injury must have been quite bad, at least for a while.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I enjoyed that.

I do wonder about the contrast of the two Reds sides that have played this year. One of them very organised and committed in defence and very disciplined with not conceding penalties and the other much the opposite.

Hopefully that is just a product of the youth in the side and consistency will come.

Hopefully Timu’s injury is nothing serious - he has been immense. Rodda also outstanding.

Young sides learning to win will be up and down

But there are plenty of positives

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Credit where due. Against quality opposition and backs against the wall, the first 50 minutes of that game were of high standard in almost all aspects of Reds' play and one of the best sustained periods of play the Reds have composed since 2011-12. They looked a different team - and differently coached - for most of the match.

There can be no doubt the Lions were complacent off the bat and made many early uncharacteristic errors (as the Chiefs more rarely did the week before), but almost out of nowhere the Reds high quality of offensive defence (ie, not only making tackles but gaining ground, loose ball, penalties, slowing the opposition from the quality of tackle made, etc) rattled them big time in a way the Tahs had singularly failed to do the previous week.

Where the fuck did all this come from? Let's just leave it as a mystery with its due pleasures for now.

If it can be sustained - and we have to be very cautious over that speculation - then the Reds don't have too bad a run home from here. The Rebels look on a downtrend path - they were singularly awful vs the Stormers - the Tahs are volatile and have a very tough run against quality opposition in the next period and the Brumbies are just taking Larkham's attack-less legacy to its logical conclusion, grinding themselves, by their own hand, into the dust.

So if the Reds can continue as they have finally begun on April 28, they could conceivably end up near the top of the Australian Super conference. Nowhere near the genuine elite, but at least a hint of better light glinting back over a far horizon for those of us whose confidence and hope is almost irrecoverably dead.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Crowd reportee circa 12500. I decided to watch the shute shield game on channel 7 instead.bummer

Was more like 8,000 max I'd say. The QRU is now ensuring that Ticketek's seat sale pattern widely disburses the available seats over all the lower sections of Suncorp so the visual effect is not as awful as the hard numerical truth. If that crowd was actually bunched together there was no way the stadium would appear or truthfully was c.25% full.

The consistent 2017-18 fall off in Aust Super Rugby home crowds in all our rugby-playing cities is nothing short of commercially and financially disastrous, let alone the negative media attention it's getting, such as:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/is-sydney-finally-an-afl-town-20180427-p4zbzl.html

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not just 2017-18, mate, the wheels started falling off the Reds when Dick Graham was appointed coach.

A lot of supporters went on strike. We stopped our membership, and I reckon that thousands of others did, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.