• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rocky road ahead for Rocky...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Elsom made a lot of critics who called not only for him to be replaced as captain but dropped from the team altogether look like idiots. Will get better with more matches.

He played better, that is the best that can be said. Spies made 20m down the blind off a scrum. A 6 should never let that happen as a point of personal pride. He's improving and, if he gets to the point where I think he's the best available, I'll happily admit I was wrong. I'm not there yet though. If he returns to the mythical Leinster form such that he's the best player Brian O'Driscoll has ever played with, I'll be amazed.

If he wasn't the captain, we wouldn't be having this discussion because he'd have turned out for Randwick yesterday having been dropped a few weeks ago (just as Giteau was).

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
He played better, that is the best that can be said. Spies made 20m down the blind off a scrum. A 6 should never let that happen as a point of personal pride. He's improving and, if he gets to the point where I think he's the best available, I'll happily admit I was wrong. I'm not there yet though. If he returns to the mythical Leinster form such that he's the best player Brian O'Driscoll has ever played with, I'll be amazed.

If he wasn't the captain, we wouldn't be having this discussion because he'd have turned out for Randwick yesterday having been dropped a few weeks ago (just as Giteau was)

As much as I'd like to just hit agree Cutter, we all know it takes Deans at least three years to drop a player, eg. Giteau, Brown, Chisholm........

S

Stickybeak

If he wasn't the captain, we wouldn't be having this discussion because he'd have turned out for Randwick yesterday having been dropped a few weeks ago (just as Giteau was).

Spies is quick - more of a worry was the fact that Sharpe and Horwill (I think) stayed with him

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think Rocky's game is likely to pick up a fair bit now that he's lost the (c) next to his name. I guess maybe it mean's he's more likely to bugger off overseas again next year given that he's still not signed to any Super province, but for the immediate future and World Cup I think it'll be good for his form.

On the back of his performance last week, I think he's still unchallenged as the starting 6. Have him for 60 then chuck Higgers on.

S

Skippy

I'm a Rocky fan and I've been quite open about that. I hope he can hit top form and prove a lot of his critics wrong. It's not easy playing at the top level of rugby without being 100% either in fitness or game time. But hey... Deans picked him and Rocky just got out there and got on with the job. Sure... he was pretty average against Samoa and then only marginally better against NZ but he is improving and finding his form and feet.

I feel for the big man being dropped as captain. I think it was a move fraught with danger... it could have backfired and destabilised the whole squad and WC campaign. But to me, I think it's something Rocky and Deans have discussed for some time in camp and perhaps even Rocky was more than willing to give it up so he can focus on his own game and doing his own job in the WC.

So full respect for Rocky for taking this well and supporting Horwill. I do think Deans should have perhaps given it too Horwill at start of the season and agreed with Rocky to just get on with his own game... but I think out of respect for Rocky and being the current Captain, Deans probably stuck with him and gave him every chance to grow into it and find form. Like I said, I don't think this has come out of left field for Rocky and he probably knew the score/agreed to the plan weeks ago.

I don't think for one second is signals any intention to remove Elsom from the starting side.

So Rocky... thanks for the efforts in a difficult role and now I hope you can get on with hitting top form and bringing home the cup.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I agree with the posters that say we'll see a transformed Elsom now. Form is temporary, and Rocky has oodles of class, except as a captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.