• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rocky road ahead for Rocky...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
They bring up some very good points. I agree he doesn't deserve his spot ahead of Higgers or even Samo. He is far from an inspirational leader but at the time he was appointed captain he was probably the best choice, Sharpe wasn't playing the greatest and everyone else was injured (Mortlock, Horwill), too young (Pocock, Genia), or still fighting for a spot in the starting team (Moore & TPN). Deans made a decision he would be captain until the RWC which is the clearly the wrong choice, he should have been made Captain until they find a better one whether it be 2 Test matches or 2 Seasons of Test matches. Their is clearly much better options now and Deans needs the balls to say that Elsom is out. I guess Deans has 2 risks to consider either:
1. Play Elsom and hope their is enough games to bring him back to form
2. Play Higgers and hope their is enough games to get him to use to Test level

The captaincy made Deans choose the first choice, and I would say he choose the wrong one.

On the positive side Elsom he is still a quality player (not captain). Sure he is not in form but who can blame him after being out injured for so long. He is only going to get better and when he does he should definitely be considered for a starting spot (fighting it out with Higgers).

For now, Horwill for Captain!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To make it clearer my argument in the first post is that Elsom should not be captain, however he is still a good player and should be in the team. But he should definitely not be allowed to walk straight in ahead of Higgers, he should have to fight his way in.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
They bring up some very good points. I agree he doesn't deserve his spot ahead of Higgers or even Samo. He is far from an inspirational leader but at the time he was appointed captain he was probably the best choice, Sharpe wasn't playing the greatest and everyone else was injured (Mortlock, Horwill), too young (Pocock, Genia), or still fighting for a spot in the starting team (Moore & TPN). Deans made a decision he would be captain until the RWC which is the clearly the wrong choice, he should have been made Captain until they find a better one.

I don't think you understand the importance of the position of Wallabies captain. Deans made the only decision he could - Elsom was the stand-out choice as captain, and choosing the captaincy is not a week by week proposition.

In fact, it would surprise me if this is a decision for Deans alone, I would expect the ARU board to have been consulted and to have agreed in advance with the decision, both for Elsom, and that it would run through to the World Cup.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
But what happens when you find out he is a poor Captain and you have guys in the team that would now make great captains? and proven they are good captains eg Horwill.

Is it the logical choice to stick with a poor captain, because it is important to give the captaincy to some-one for long periods of time in order to give the status importance?

I do believe the captaincy is important, that is why is should be changed to some-one who is going to be good at it for the next few seasons! Horwill, Genia, Pocock.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Wonder if Marto was as quick to call for a resignation for poor performance after his calls into the Samoa game.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Rocky Elsom has pictures of JON and Dingo naked with a goat. It's the only way Rocky being the captain, little own in the 22 makes sense.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Elsom is the current Wallabies captain, whether or not you guys like it. The only possible option I can think of is that he might play a role like John Smit, and occupy the bench if his form, or the selection options, deny him a run on possy.

Wallabies captain is NOT a week by week selection decision, it is a medium term decision. End of story.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Just sit back and wait for the Reds bias complaints to pop up again. Greg Martin is a goose in my view and says so much utter rubbish most of the time but he is on the money with this one. If Elsom has a blinder on the weekend, I very much doubt that Martin will have the fortitude to stand by his comments.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Elsom is the current Wallabies captain, whether or not you guys like it. The only possible option I can think of is that he might play a role like John Smit, and occupy the bench if his form, or the selection options, deny him a run on possy.

Wallabies captain is NOT a week by week selection decision, it is a medium term decision. End of story.

It should also not be a shield for a player who does not deserve to be in the side.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Ok. you made a good point, the captaincy is not a week by week decision. But I still stand by the fact that he had his chance and post RWC we should be looking for a new one.

Whether Elsom has a blinder or not this weekend... He will still be a poor captain. If he is still Captain post RWC I would be very disappointed.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I doubt that Higginbotham is going to have the impact that many rugby fans think he will. He deserves a starting chance, no doubt, but I seriously doubt he will be any better than Elsom. I'd like to find out though. One thing I will say about him is that Higgers has more potential to get better. Elsom has never impressed me highly as a player, I don't ever recall a time when he clearly outpointed a bok or ab opponent.

I'm still not throwing away the idea of Horwill at 6 as an option.

Personally I see Samo as more of a test player than Higginbotham, even if he only has 50 minutes in him.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I agree Scotty. I think Elsom at his best is better than I have seen from Higgers so far. And some of Elsoms problem may be the lack of a dominant #8. Lets see some Samo and see if the burnt Palm tree is up to it or not. Or give Higgers a go and see if he can make a difference.

I think what most people are trying to say is our backrow is not right. 1 of the 3 has to go. Right now the queensland backrow, as a unit, works better than the wallabies. You could say the same for the force backrow and maybe the Waratahs. They are all good players but the balance isn't right.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's because they have been brilliant all season and there is no other players nowhere near as good as them in the country. Rocky on the other hand......

I fail to see any better blindside candidates?

Marto is an idiot... his Higginbotham manlove was nauseating to listen to on the weekend...

He overshadowed Phil Kearns' "we wuz robbed" commentary...

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Ok. you made a good point, the captaincy is not a week by week decision. But I still stand by the fact that he had his chance and post RWC we should be looking for a new one.

Whether Elsom has a blinder or not this weekend... He will still be a poor captain. If he is still Captain post RWC I would be very disappointed.

We will just have to wait and see. Incidentally, I should have made this point earlier. The captaincy of the Wallabies does not quite rank in public esteem with captaincy of the Australian Cricket Team, but it is up there. Choosing the right captain is very important to the maintenance of the wider appeal of the Wallabies "brand" (don't like to use that term, but it is apposite here) - not to mention towards the attitude of sponsors and other financial supporters of the game.

N

Newter

Elsom is definitely not the best choice for this Trinations - he's not fit and not ready to play at this level.

But he'll be match fit for the World Cup. And he needs to play these games now to get up to speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.