• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rocky going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Elsom's French connection likely to lead him to Paris this year

FORMER Wallabies captain Rocky Elsom is likely to leave Australia at the end of the season to continue his career in Europe and Japan.
Elsom, who inspired Irish province Leinster to the Heineken Cup in 2009, is believed to be in high demand in Europe and Asia and may play on both continents in the coming season.
It is unclear which European club is set to snare the powerful backrower, but France appears to be the most likely destination as Elsom has strong ties with Parisian club Stade Francais, which is coached by Australian Michael Cheika.
It is understood Elsom has only a slim chance of meeting the injury clauses in his contract which would allow him to exercise his second-year option with the NSW Waratahs and the ARU.
While many observers still regard the 75-Test veteran as one of the most important players in Australian rugby, his departure would be made easier by the consistent form of Queensland Reds backrower Scott Higginbotham and Brumbies backrower Ben Mowen.
After recovering from shoulder and hamstring injuries, Elsom has only played two matches off the bench for NSW this season and is likely to continue his cautious return against his former team, the Brumbies, in Canberra on Saturday night.
Elsom's housemate in Sydney, Waratahs fullback Adam Ashley-Cooper, is returning to Canberra for the first time since leaving the Brumbies to join NSW.
While Elsom, who had played for the Waratahs before going to Ireland, only spent two years in Canberra, Ashley-Cooper had played for the Brumbies since making his Super Rugby debut against the Crusaders in 2005. ..... blah blah

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Heard it depends on his comeback. If his body handles it well and he thinks he is a shot of playing in the lions tour he will stay, if he feels it's not holding up then he will be off to Japan, first I've heard of France though.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Suprised they mentioned Higginbotham and Mowen (deservedly) but didn't point to the fact that Dave Dennis is easily the Waratahs first choice 6.

Rocky doesn't seem to have the will-power to persist and actually improve his game to become a starting player for the Wallabies and Waratahs again. It comes off as him going " I'm not starting, why should I stay and get paid for less, when I can earn a shitload in France and play every week".

Eh look out for number 1, we have depth now (Higgers, Dennis, Mowen).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Rocky leaves, the Tahs will definitely need a good replacement akin to Dean Mumm who can play 6 and 4/5.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If Rocky leaves, the Tahs will definitely need a good replacement akin to Dean Mumm who can play 6 and 4/5.

L.Timani has to be upgraded to a full contract as well, I heard foley talk about him as an 8/6, with Dennis as well 6 is alright for cover, we definitely need another lock though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess this will depend alot on Vickerman's situation next season. At this stage he is surely unlikely.

Surely with Mumm gone, S Timani and Douglas are our starting 4/5, and our starting backrow is Dennis, Palu, Hooper/Alcock (As good as Hooper is, Alcock has been superb this season. I'm not sure Hooper is an absolute walk-up starter yet. He probably will be though).

That leaves Lopeti Timani on the bench to replace Palu, probably Peterson to replace Timani or Douglas and I guess Alcock or Hooper.

I guess Dennis is expected to play 80 minutes almost every week.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing more of Greg Peterson, is he the tallest lock in Oz?
Certainly plays hard and tight from the little I've seen.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
How big a second row pairing would Peterson and Sitaleki Timani be (not that I am specifically suggesting that combo)?? 2 very large humans.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

The last thing any team needs is a player akin to Mumm.....although i don't think he gave away a penalty on Sunday did he?
I cannot see how Rocky would ever be selected ahead of Dennis on Dennis' current form.

Rocky doesn't seem to have the will-power to persist and actually improve his game to become a starting player for the Wallabies and Waratahs again.

My credentials in rocky bashing are second to none but i don't see what basis there is for this statement: he has been playing irregularly for nearly 2 seasons - clearly playing with pain and physical limitations last season leading to the surgery that has disrupted this season - so how would anyone know (a) what level his game is at, and (b) whether he has given up on trying to improve it?

He must have done the work to have even got back on the park last week so I can't see the basis for asserting lack of will-power: there'd be a lot of long lonely rehab fueled only by will power for him to get back to playing I would have thought.

Man - Id be happy to see him go but not for these reasons

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing more of Greg Peterson, is he the tallest lock in Oz?
Certainly plays hard and tight from the little I've seen.

media guide saying:

Battye 2.04
Petereson 2.04
Vickerman 2.03
T-Money 2.03
Van 2.03
Douglas 2.02
Cadeyrn Neville 2.02
Byrnes 2.01
Campbell 2.01
Pyle 2.01

Weren't Peterson and Battye locking partners in the oz Schoolboys team? Handy height.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The last thing any team needs is a player akin to Mumm.....although i don't think he gave away a penalty on Sunday did he?
I cannot see how Rocky would ever be selected ahead of Dennis on Dennis' current form.

I didn't mean someone who played like Mumm. Just someone who can play both lock and blindside flanker.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
media guide saying:

Battye 2.04
Petereson 2.04
Vickerman 2.03
T-Money 2.03
Van 2.03
Douglas 2.02
Cadeyrn Neville 2.02
Byrnes 2.01
Campbell 2.01
Pyle 2.01

Weren't Peterson and Battye locking partners in the oz Schoolboys team? Handy height.

Peterson and Jones, same as the u20s locks last year

I don't rate Peterson, solid at club rugby due to his size but a lack of skills won't see him progress further on imo

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not sure how strong Rocky's ties to Stade will be by the end of the season. I would say it would hinge on Cheika still being there and not being tempted back to Aus with the Force. Just speculating but there's a possibility of Rocky joining Cheika at the Force if he takes the gig. There are some ex-Leinster players at Stade that Rocky played with but I still think the decision would hinge on the coach.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Peterson and Jones, same as the u20s locks last year

I don't rate Peterson, solid at club rugby due to his size but a lack of skills won't see him progress further on imo

what skills is he lacking?, he is a big lock, his job is to push, move rucks and catch the ball above his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.