• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Rebels Trial - Tuesday 14 February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Let's hope that we have a strong cohesive squad this year. Reg you mentioned something in the commentary about some of the team building activities - rock climbing I think was one of them, and talked a bit about culture in Stiles' teams. Can you elaborate?

I know coaches will often look to mix things up in the off-season and Stiles did this as well with a lot of team building activities. Beach work up the Sunshine Coast. Scavenger hunts around the city. Stair sessions at Kangaroo Point, etc etc.

Stiles is a big one for team culture, again as most coaches would be. I guess it just comes down to what 'culture' means for each organisation. I can't speak for the Reds or Stiles but I'd suggest a big one will be accountability.

Again, coaches will look for ways to bond the team and build that culture. Cheika did it with that Waratah team with the Coogee Bay stairs (I think it was). Stiles seemed to look to do it with boxing. They did a lot of sessions with Mark "Chopper" Burgess who was a boxer in his own right, but has been involved at the Broncos and the Warriors. There were a lot of pure conditioning sessions but also a lot of bouts where players would face off against themselves but then also against Chopper himself. In know Stiles was really pleased with the sessions and what the team got out of it, more than just better conditioning.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
The culture does seem to be much improved. Last night the body language and the chatter looked like a group of lads who are enjoying their rugby and starting to get that spirit back. Hunt seems to have a real leadership role in the backline, and Cooper too as we already knew.

They seem to be just starting to generate some confidence and the first couple of rounds will probably make or break it. Thankfully the first game is at home against the Sharks and not a trip to Christchurch or Wellington! Nothing more likely to shatter some fledgling confidence than that.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Hoping the Reds can continue to build on the promise they are showing early on this year. Will be of great benefit to the Wallabies if Quade, Kerevi, Hunt and Nabuli are operating at their best.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Hoping the Reds can continue to build on the promise they are showing early on this year. Will be of great benefit to the Wallabies if Quade, Kerevi, Hunt and Nabuli are operating at their best.

Yep.

Add Slipper, Moore, Simmons, Douglas. Hell, I'm going to include Talakai and Ready.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
The Rebels are in real problems if Schatz is their best player at 8. I remember Schatz played for Reds, an average player there.

My point is more about, given available players, to get the correct balance of skills and physical attributes across general play and set piece, having a your squads most experienced no.8 playing no.8 wouldn't be a bad option.

dru

David Wilson (68)
A
Too true. I was only thinking of the backs where I think we need a whole lot more depth in the Wallabies.

Bit dopey that I didnt pick that up!

I think another indicator is game plan and team structure. Looks at least in part similar to the Larkham/Grey systems. Hard to tell from the stream if the pods were truly replicated, but the high-risk (hopefully) high-return rush defence was there.

Line out system similar. Noting we may have the WB locking pair.

The second line back attack is there, but based on Quade/DP rather than obvious pods interlinking to the second line.

Personally I'd rather follow the right strategy for the Reds than the right strategy from the WBs, but if it works for us, what the hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.