• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Rebels Trial - Tuesday 14 February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I think Chris Kuridrani secured the right wing spot from clicking through the game - consistent metres made. Maranta looked poor

I reckon this is gonna be the side in rd 1:

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Talakai
4. Douglas
5. Simmons
6. H Tui
7. Smith
8. Higginbotham (Trial MOTM imo)
9. Pickle
10. Quade
11. Nabuli
12. Paia'aua
13. Kerevi
14. Panther
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Faagase
18. Vanzati
19. L Tui
20. Houston
21. Tuttle
22. Taefu
23. Perese

I think we're pretty set in stone for round one for a change, which is nice.

Kiwi's coverage of 6, 7 and 8 plus lock at a (dire) pinch might put him above Leroy in the pecking order, as Jim Tucker theorised in the Courier's match review. Stiles is a massive fan so I wouldn't rule it out

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I couldn't see the trial but I guess the forward pack was the main Rebels problem, isn't it?. They have a lot of very good backs but few top class forwards

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Smith, Hanson, Weeks did ok....losing Smith early didn't help, but it was the Rebels locks that offered little in the engine room.

Moving Timani to 8 or even 2nd row again will help, as he is a reputed weapon locking in at TH lock. Rettalick was ok but it was the other..Douglas I think with jeffries and day injured, that struggled. Mafi is a demon ball in hand but should be left on the flank, with someone with more set piece nouse at the back.

(Round 1 with same players from trial available

4. Rettalick 5. Timani
6. Mafi 8. Schatz 7. Fainga'a

19. Cummins 20. Fox

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I missed the 1st half of the stream so this may have been mentioned but was there a reason George Smith didn't play? Korzyck looked good from what I saw, interesting that Reg says Houston was awful given he has had that game time back with Bath whereas I think Korzyck has been out injured for quite a while.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Smith, Hanson, Weeks did ok..losing Smith early didn't help, but it was the Rebels locks that offered little in the engine room.

Moving Timani to 8 or even 2nd row again will help, as he is a reputed weapon locking in at TH lock. Rettalick was ok but it was the other..Douglas I think with jeffries and day injured, that struggled. Mafi is a demon ball in hand but should be left on the flank, with someone with more set piece nouse at the back.

(Round 1 with same players from trial available

4. Rettalick 5. Timani
6. Mafi 8. Schatz 7. Fainga'a

19. Cummins 20. Fox

The Rebels are in real problems if Schatz is their best player at 8. I remember Schatz played for Reds, an average player there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I missed the 1st half of the stream so this may have been mentioned but was there a reason George Smith didn't play? Korzyck looked good from what I saw, interesting that Reg says Houston was awful given he has had that game time back with Bath whereas I think Korzyck has been out injured for quite a while.

Stiles said he knew what Smith could offer but wanted to see what Adam could. It was a fair showing by the youngster.

T

TOCC

Shatz is very good at what he does, he just didn't have the attributes that the Reds needed of him, but given the balance of the Rebels locks and backrow it might be the perfect balance for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Those replacement jersey numbers (the recycling of numbers) were a bit confusing - I thought that Hunt was coming back on the field late in the piece as 15 was running on so thought they must be doing some sort of on/off interchange but then found it Jayden Ngamanu (who it has to be said showed some nice fast footwork).

Let's hope that we have a strong cohesive squad this year. Reg you mentioned something in the commentary about some of the team building activities - rock climbing I think was one of them, and talked a bit about culture in Stiles' teams. Can you elaborate?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Reds obviously have a better backline than last year but the biggest difference from what I saw was the intent.

The dominant scrum and the penalties that ensued were generally used to create an attacking platform whereas last year the dominant scrum was used to generate more scrum penalties which were often used to take another scrum.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The Reds obviously have a better backline than last year but the biggest difference from what I saw was the intent.

The dominant scrum and the penalties that ensued were generally used to create an attacking platform whereas last year the dominant scrum was used to generate more scrum penalties which were often used to take another scrum.

Pretty much but when you're bringing a knife to a gunfight as the Reds did last year, you don't have one dig with the knife and then shelve it to box the gunslinger for a while.

Clyde

Stan Wickham (3)
Didn't get to see the game unfortunately.

A lot of talk on Reds players who performed well here which is great, I expect them to find their groove this year and Aus rugby needs it.

Any notable performers for the Rebels? A few fresh-faces this year, a shame they seem to have early injuries again but I'm hoping they can build on last year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Didn't get to see the game unfortunately.

A lot of talk on Reds players who performed well here which is great, I expect them to find their groove this year and Aus rugby needs it.

Any notable performers for the Rebels? A few fresh-faces this year, a shame they seem to have early injuries again but I'm hoping they can build on last year.

not overly. Tom English was fairly prominent. Garden-Bachop looks decent enough but missed 2 kicks for goal from in front. Jack Maddocks at the back looked very composed for a youngun. Naivalu scored an electric try very early but then barely touched the ball again. Mafi a good game too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Maddocks was the Rebels player that produced the most impressive performance (relative to expectation).

He could easily be a fixture in their best matchday 23 this year and potentially in the starting XV.

Status
Not open for further replies.