• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls Rnd 5 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Scotty, good point re back 3. But Basson is super quick.

I was just recalling his dash to score a scintillating try after we were caught napping under the posts on a restart last year at Suncorp and he caught the Bulls own kick off, try time. The players' definition of gob smacked.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
... I've only got one word for you armchair critics - bullshit.
I wouldn't have you on my team, and I can only hope the lads over there aren't reading this thread....

Mate, if our boys are as fragile as you think they are, with your inference that if they read this thread then they would be somehow affected by the opinion (albeit somewhat romantically based) of a few "armchair critics" to the point that it would affect thier game materially, then we are in trouble.

In the same post that I said that the weight of expectation being lifted being a good thing, I also said that these are the conditions that we play our best Rugby in. The nervousness with which you interpreted my post with, highlights perhaps not my insecurity about how well the Reds might do this weekend but yours.

If your post was meant to be a bit, tongue in cheek (although the bolded bullshit would suggest otherwise), then clearly I have misinterpeted it and you can disregard my comments. But being a Reds fan yourself you should be aware of the barbs that get thrown our way by the supporters of all the other franchises. I cop them begrudgingly but to have the passion with which I support my team questioned by a fellow Reds fan, simply because I think they will do it tough, playing the Bulls, at Loftus, with a new 5/8 and one of our biggest strike weapons out? Really?

Now if no body minds, I'm going to hop down off my high horse... ;)

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Mate, if our boys are as fragile as you think they are, with your inference that if they read this thread then they would be somehow affected by the opinion (albeit somewhat romantically based) of a few "armchair critics" to the point that it would affect thier game materially, then we are in trouble.

In the same post that I said that the weight of expectation being lifted being a good thing, I also said that these are the conditions that we play our best Rugby in. The nervousness with which you interpreted my post with, highlights perhaps not my insecurity about how well the Reds might do this weekend but yours.

If your post was meant to be a bit, tongue in cheek (although the bolded bullshit would suggest otherwise), then clearly I have misinterpeted it and you can disregard my comments. But being a Reds fan yourself you should be aware of the barbs that get thrown our way by the supporters of all the other franchises. I cop them begrudgingly but to have the passion with which I support my team questioned by a fellow Reds fan, simply because I think they will do it tough, playing the Bulls, at Loftus, with a new 5/8 and one of our biggest strike weapons out? Really?

Now if no body minds, I'm going to hop down off my high horse... ;)

...be careful Scoey, RH does not appreciate any lecturing unless he is doing it himself. Please don't steal his thunder.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
...be careful Scoey, RH does not appreciate any lecturing unless he is doing it himself. Please don't steal his thunder.
God, it really was a lecture wasn't it! Horrible! :confused: I try not to do that. But it wasn't RH, it was emuarse so hopefully he'll be ok. ;)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scotty, good point re back 3. But Basson is super quick.

I was just recalling his dash to score a scintillating try after we were caught napping under the posts on a restart last year at Suncorp and he caught the Bulls own kick off, try time. The players' definition of gob smacked.

Yep, he is super quick, and no one is going to run him down, however I doubt anyone would run Davies down either.

Just don't give them any space! Our kicking game is going to have to be perfect, and we are going to have to hope theirs is a little off.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
By all means rotate Slipper/Holmes/Daley throughout the season. But for fucksake why leave your best prop on the bench against the Bulls?

Other then that pretty happy to see Murphy and Shatz start. Thought Rapana was meant to be the 22?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Just responding to RH's wise crack at 7.47am this morning mate.

Bulls Team:
15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 Johann Sadie, 12 Wynand Olivier, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies (c), 7 Jacques Potgieter, 6 CJ Stander, 5 Juandré Kruger, 4 Flip van der Merwe, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Dean Greyling.
Subs: 16 Willie Wepener, 17 Frik Kirsten, 18 Wilhelm Steenkamp, 19 Arno Botha, 20 Jano Vermaak, 21 Louis Fouché, 22 JJ Engelbrecht.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
For once their backs look better then the forwards

Yeah their backs do seem to be getting stronger. With Steyn at 10 though, you still wouldn't expect them to be overly adventurous. While their forwards do have a relatively unknown look about them (particularly for those of us watching from this side of the world), they certainly won't be weak. Juandré Kruger seems to be stepping into Matfield's old role nicely and Jacques Potgieter has added some further physicality to the no. 7 (Blindside Flank) position. Perhaps a weakness in the pack this week is CJ Stander in that he will be playing Openside Flank, when he doesn't appear to be a natural 'fetcher'.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Has this been posted already?

Reds:

Rod Davies, Dom Shipperley, Jono Lance, Ben Tapuai, Luke Morahan, Dallan Murphy, Will Genia,

Jake Schatz, Beau Robinson, Scott Higginbotham, James Horwill (capt), Rob Simmons, Greg Holmes, Saia Fainga'a, Ben Daley.

Reserves: James Hanson, James Slipper, Radike Samo, Van Humphries, Liam Gill, Nick Frisby, Nathan Eyres-Brown.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Amazing. I'd give the Reds the edge in the pack, and Bulls the edge in the backs.

What is wrong with the world?

I don't agree with Slipper being rested, though. I would've get the starting props the same.

Who is Nathan Eyres-Brown?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Young guy flown over during the week for cover.

nathan Eyres-Brown.JPG

From what I have been able to garner from school friends, Was part of Tatsy Taylor's TSS sides (06 or 07). Turned down opportunities to move away for contracts (Union and League) to stay with his high school sweetheart. Stayed on the GC playing for Burleigh (I think).

Apparently a very strong and fast winger.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That Reds pack still looks mighty useful and should match it with the Bulls I think. A couple of the key backline positions are a worry, but what can you do with the injuries they have? The Bulls should be favourites but I think the Reds could burgle this.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The important thing for the Bulls versus the Reds is their amazing good fortune with injuries. Even Sadie, their one injured player (apart, no doubt, from fringe players who didn't get on the radar) is back, and so is their suspended player F. Hougaard. [The Crusaders, Cheetahs, Hurricanes and Sharks have been fortunate too - and good luck to them.]

The Reds are starting to feel the pinch in key positions as the Highlanders, Chiefs and Tahs have. Let's hope the Reds can cope as well as the Clan and the Tribe have done.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
The important thing for the Bulls versus the Reds is their amazing good fortune with injuries. Even Sadie, their one injured player (apart, no doubt, from fringe players who didn't get on the radar) is back, and so is their suspended player F. Hougaard. [The Crusaders, Cheetahs, Hurricanes and Sharks have been fortunate too - and good luck to them.]

The Reds are starting to feel the pinch in key positions as the Highlanders, Chiefs and Tahs have. Let's hope the Reds can cope as well as the Clan and the Tribe have done.

Yes agreed. The only players that appear to be unavailable for the Bulls are Deon Stegman and Dewaldt Potgieter. That is quite remarkable when you consider the injury lists at the Reds, Waratahs, Lions to name a few whose squads have been decimated.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think that some teams just are just unlucky when it comes to injuries or do you think it is at times influenced by the strength and condtioning programs they have been through? Surely, in this day and age, the programs would be fairly generic and therefore no team should be siginifcantly better or worse off than another?

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
"The Reds have conceded the lowest number of points in the competition so far and in the penalties they concede, the opposition has the lowest rate of actually kicking for goal (35.2% of the time), reflecting where they are on the field."

I found this Stat from Gagger's front page article (Sorry no link my browser at work is ancient). Considering where and who we're playing I found it quite heartening. I just wonder how it will look after this game...

Edit: linky goodness... http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/key-aussie-super-stats-up-to-round-4/ - MrTimms...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The only players that appear to be unavailable for the Bulls are Deon Stegman and Dewaldt Potgieter. That is quite remarkable when you consider the injury lists at the Reds, Waratahs, Lions to name a few whose squads have been decimated.

Thanks for that info - I didn't have them in the injury Wiki and will update it.

As for your question: I'm fairly sure that if every Super team had NFL staff that there would be fewer injuries manifested because of their (perceived) better scientific approach - but how can you test that? Maybe it is just luck - but if it isn't, the Super outfits with the edge will see an edge in results over time.

One story about differences in the training/conditioning of players: I heard 2nd hand that one of the Bulldogs trainers was looking at a news item about SBW when he reported for training at Toulon, a few years back now.

SBW was doing a warm up exercise in the background that he was not permitted to do at the Doggies just a few weeks before. It was exactly wrong for his recent injury history. Apparently the trainer smiled as he made the observation.

There must be a bit of that that is missed by trainers, who are not doctors; the more general the exercises or weight training that is done, the more scope for boo-boos.

Status
Not open for further replies.