• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls Rnd 5 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
For the Bulls to win by those Margins they'll have to score tries. I'd be thinking that they'll win by 6.

The Reds are going to have some huge pace out wide; Rocket and Ship's I would imagine be the starting two wingers. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

If the Reds can get to an early lead to take the crowd out of the equation and limit the kickable penalties they give away it'll cause the Bulls to play an attacking style that they're not used to.

Without wanting to sound pedantic, the Bulls could kick 5 penalties/drop goals and win by 10 or 7 points. ;)

However, I certainly don't think they are incapable of scoring tries. They've scored 8 tries in their last 2 games (5 vs Cheetahs, 3 vs Blues), so they are able to score tries.

I do agree with you though, if the Reds get in to an early lead there is every chance that they can win the game. The Bulls like to come out firing and set the tone for the rest of the game in the early stages.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Furthermore, they are a relatively young team with most of their experience having moved on, as has been well documented. If you can get into a significant enough lead with 20 mins to go, they really don't have the old hard heads to act as a calming influence to the rest of the team and there is every chance their play might become panicked.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that I want nothing more than the Reds to win this one. But... The chips are stacked against us even more than they already were playing the Bulls at Loftus with the injuries and suspensions. So I'm not sure we'll do it.

The surprising thing for me though, is that I am strangley at peace with the Reds losing one and probably two games on the trot. It's kind of like the monkey is being taken off our backs. Last year was great, because everyone, right to the death, was writing us off, saying we couldn't do this, and we'd never do that, and one by one, the Reds got up and proved them wrong.

The weight of expectation was always going to hit us hard at some stage this season, and I guess, if you had to pick a time for us to get dragged back to earth, the SA Tour would be the perfect time for it to happen. This tour may very well be the shot in the arm that the boys need. I would've hated it if we went all season and then lost our shit in the finals!

We play our best when the chips are down, when questions are being asked of us and when everyone is saying we can't do it. Go you REDS!! :D

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Scoey - understand your spirit in those words.

Just a cold, hard light of day comment: we lost, what, only 3 games last year pre Finals, and our points gap to the next down was not huge pre Finals. This is not a comp any team can afford to lose too many games, especially early on as then the required w-l % you need from, say, Round 6 onwards gets very high. And if you want home Finals, this is even more so.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
If the Reds had of defended that 3 points they wold have won. Ripped off by the Ref I say.

Haha agreed, the Reds were all over them that day! If PdV had been the Reds coach at the time, I have no doubt he would have commented something along the lines of, "we won this game everywhere but on the scoreboard!"

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Scoey - understand your spirit in those words.

Just a cold, hard light of day comment: we lost, what, only 3 games last year pre Finals, and our points gap to the next down was not huge pre Finals. This is not a comp any team can afford to lose too many games, especially early on as then the required w-l % you need from, say, Round 6 onwards gets very high. And if you want home Finals, this is even more so.

Couldn't agree more RH. My personal reaction to our loss on the weekend just really astonished me - hence my rose tinted ramblings above. I think that given the adversity on the weekend (key injuries, yellow card etc) the fact that we were still in it against a quality outfit in the Sharks, gives me a lot of comfort. As the Saffa commentators said quite often, this is a championship team.

I think we will do it tough from here on in - but I still really fancy our chances to make a fist of it again. And this feeling is stronger since the loss. :)

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I wonder if any Bulls fans will be on the field offering drinks to the Reds by way of - bottle to the melon?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Lots of talk about the Reds backs in attack. There defence will be even more important and with new players out there they will all need to work bloody hard. Houggard and Basson are no slouches and are the types of blokes that turn half opportunities into 5 points. If i was the Bulls coach i'd come out with the intention of playing an expansive game from the start, and hope to capitalise on the new combinations before they have a chance to build confidence.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I love stirring the South Africans on this forum, so arrogant about all your sides. Reading alot of the posts in this thread and the Sharks thread (not necessarily you rusty), I find it annoying that you lot talk with such one-eyed confidence.

But seriously, Bulls don't scare me as much as the Sharks, especially in the forwards. Hougaard is the only real danger I see in that side. That being said it will be a task for Queensland to get up, I reckon the same plan as the Stormers game 2011 will work for this one.
Shame on you Boet! We all love them Aussies.

Brutes team
Bulls:
15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 Johann Sadie, 12 Wynand Olivier, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies (captain), 7 Jacques Potgieter, 6 CJ Stander, 5 Juandre Kruger, 4 Flip van der Merwe, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Dean Greyling

Substitutes: 16 Willie Wepener, 17 Frik Kirsten, 18 Wilhelm Steenkamp, 19 Arno Botha, 20 Jano Vermaak, 21 Louis Fouche, 22 JJ Engelbrecht

Brutes by 20+

C

Cave Dweller

From a neutral point of view I am looking forward to the game and I think it is going to be a hard fought clash at high altitude where the team with the better discipline will prevail as 55 to 60 meter goal kicks are on the menu at Loftus

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Strange. The number of Reds supporters on this thread saying (a) they probably won't win & (b) well, a loss is a good thing right now to take the expectation factor out of it.
I've only got one word for you armchair critics - bullshit.
I wouldn't have you on my team, and I can only hope the lads over there aren't reading this thread.
We have no injuries to our forward pack, and they will take into this game the impact they had on the Sharks last week in the first half - expect to see more of that.
As for the backs, three of the injuries are for one position - 5/8, and I can see Dallan Murphy injecting himself into the game with class.
For me we lose nothing with Jono as second fly -half, and with the exception of Ioane (for whom we have very capable wingers to replace him), the outside backs are as good as any in the comp (Ioane is better).
The Reds will stand up for this one - Reds by 12!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It makes sense, I was going to predict the same team. Morahan won't be as much of a liability in defense on the wing, and he is a strong finisher. With the back three we are going to put out, I'd suggest it will be the quickest in the competition.

I think Lance will really need to step up along with Taps to help Dallan settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.