• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Bulls 2011R09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Why the hell did I waste my time watching the Tahs when I coulve just watched this? Sounds like an awesome game

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
I made it into a gif for all to enjoy.

digby-ioane-try-celebration-o.gif

C

chief

http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/super14/news/2721001.htm

The only blot on what was another sublime performance for the Reds is some of the blatant cheating they are allowed to get away with. You have to wonder when referees are going to start penalising them for the manner in which they interfere with defenders off the ball, away and on the wrong side of rucks.

That often creates the gaps that so regularly appear when they are on attack.

But take nothing away from the Brisbane team, they play to the whistle and if match officials allow them to 'create' opportunities like that, they can't be faulted for continuing to do so.

Just had a good chuckle at the above article. They couldn't even name an example, I'll admit they got away with it once a few weeks ago. But that was really about it. A very 'emotional' article.

Great game by the Reds, Cooper and Genia combo is fantastic. Also I loved how Genia and Robinson linked up.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I thought it was a impressive result considering they had just returned from South Africa and were no doubt quite fatigued and let lagged still..

The game plan surprised me, a significant change from last week!

Why should it surprise you? If you look at the aggregate skills/strengths of each team and take into account the trabel factors this game plan is the predictable one that Link would play. It is IMO the reason why Link has shown himself to be the best coach in Oz (along with Macqueen) as he has been able to instill differing game plans in his team for different conditions and opponents. This is a key factor which is missing from the Tahs (who can't execute skills at a 2nd grade level) and Deans who tries to play a wide running game in very heavy conditions against a very strong opposition pack.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I thought it was a impressive result considering they had just returned from South Africa and were no doubt quite fatigued and let lagged still..

The game plan surprised me, a significant change from last week!

Ahem. Well I think it was rather obvious. :)

I think we might see more attack from the reds than we did last week especially on the counter and first phase. Revert to field position if the bulls defense is holding up we
ll.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I was 6 years old on the wet area at school, my bro and I doin a beatbox while busting out turtles and backspins

On the try itself, did anyone else think Diggers was going to stuff it up by miskicking it or trying to pick it up to early??

I was expecting a knee kick, myself.
Did anyone else notice how deceptively quick he was, even out-paced the ultimate athlete Spies?

T

TOCC

Why should it surprise you? If you look at the aggregate skills/strengths of each team and take into account the trabel factors this game plan is the predictable one that Link would play. It is IMO the reason why Link has shown himself to be the best coach in Oz (along with Macqueen) as he has been able to instill differing game plans in his team for different conditions and opponents. This is a key factor which is missing from the Tahs (who can't execute skills at a 2nd grade level) and Deans who tries to play a wide running game in very heavy conditions against a very strong opposition pack.

Mate, i understand that game plan's change and the Reds have now played a multiple of different style in 2011, i was commenting purely on the game plan they introduced tonight, which was again a significant change from any they have used this season.

No other game plan this season have the used the forwards in the back line as ball players or wrap around as much as they did tonight, if you had of asked me before the game would Beau Robinson be play-maker in the back-line more then Michael Harris i would have laughed, but thats exactly what happened tonight.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And to think that the Reds are a team that have only a few players over 25 years of age.

I know that myself and a few other supporters on this site dared to hope when they got a few wins a few years ago with a team with an average age of 21-22 that they could turn into something special. Well it looks like they could be on their way to doing just that.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/super14/news/2721001.htm

Just had a good chuckle at the above article. They couldn't even name an example, I'll admit they got away with it once a few weeks ago. But that was really about it. A very 'emotional' article.

Great game by the Reds, Cooper and Genia combo is fantastic. Also I loved how Genia and Robinson linked up.

Good god, what a load of shit, and some of the comments, WTF.

What about the idiot who reckons the score line flatters the Reds? 6 tries to 3. It flattered the bulls that Cooper didn't kick straight.

T

TOCC

Looking ahead, i hope Slippers sternum injury isn't to significant, we will need the best front row out there for the Tahs scrum.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Mate, i understand that game plan's change and the Reds have now played a multiple of different style in 2011, i was commenting purely on the game plan they introduced tonight, which was again a significant change from any they have used this season.

No other game plan this season have the used the forwards in the back line as ball players or wrap around as much as they did tonight, if you had of asked me before the game would Beau Robinson be play-maker in the back-line more then Michael Harris i would have laughed, but thats exactly what happened tonight.

Robinson is almost just acting as the opt out of a backline play type option for Cooper. If nothing is on, and the defense is in your face give it to him and recycle. At first you think it is strange that Robinson is the one of the loose trio with this role, when you have the speed of Higginbotham and ball playing and tackle breaking ability of Samo, but I believe the main reason is that Robinson is so strong in contact. He almost guarantees a reasonably quick recycle with very little chance of turning the ball over.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Fucking Outstanding!!!

Some of the best action you will ever see tonight!

1. Cooper Flick Pass in Goal
2. Digby Ioane redefining the post-try celebration in Rugby, &
3. Every single Reds player standing up & delivering the goods.

You beauty! Go the Reds!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more; it was simply magnificent fun and pure rolled gold enjoyment to be there. (My 13 yr old son just wanted to come right home and watch it all over again, as did all his rugby-playing mates.) What elite rugby should be like (where possible ;-) ). The contrast with my first visits to watch the Reds at Suncorp in 2006-7 is simply staggering. The whole match: a wonderful ad for rugby.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn't be too worried. The Tahs scrum is the only thing that they do well. Their execution at every other facet of play (except maybe the lineout) is so poor they would be better off going to Joeys and asking their 2nd 15 to take the field for all other aspects of play.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Looking ahead, i hope Slippers sternum injury isn't to significant, we will need the best front row out there for the Tahs scrum.
That part of the game next week will be a good battle - the Tahs scrum was one of the very few bright spots against the Blues. I thought the Reds scrum went really well against the Bulls, although I think Lawrence got on a roll with penalties against the Bulls in scrums, which might have deceived us a bit. In the loose, the Reds will have it all over the Tahs pack unless they aim up a lot higher than they did tonight against the Blues. The Tahs lack of a game breaking 10 might be a crucial deficiency, if the Reds pack give their backs a lot of front foot ball, as they did tonight. Cooper and Genia look better and better as the season goes on.
Hard to see the Tahs keeping up with them from what I saw tonight.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Cooper IMO is now the most entertaining player in world rugby. He is gold for the code in this country, and if the ARU don't throw everything at him to keep him in the sport here they have rocks in their heads.

He is so entertaining he will have league fans converting in their droves.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Robinson is almost just acting as the opt out of a backline play type option for Cooper. If nothing is on, and the defense is in your face give it to him and recycle. At first you think it is strange that Robinson is the one of the loose trio with this role, when you have the speed of Higginbotham and ball playing and tackle breaking ability of Samo, but I believe the main reason is that Robinson is so strong in contact. He almost guarantees a reasonably quick recycle with very little chance of turning the ball over.

Exactly right. Robinson was not a playmaker. He was a first receiver to truck the ball up for a recycle if you look at the tacklers he targetted it was invariably the backrowers for the Bulls to take them out of the play. Very happy to see couple of old Wicks moves used from set peice, the double wrap around for Morahan's second a classic I remember Knox and Campo executing to perfection.

T

TOCC

semantics over playmakers or first receiver... you all know what i meant

it was very Brumbies George Smith-esque

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cooper IMO is now the most entertaining player in world rugby. He is gold for the code in this country, and if the ARU don't throw everything at him to keep him in the sport here they have rocks in their heads.

He is so entertaining he will have league fans converting in their droves.
I knew sooner or later we'd get some good hyperbole on this thread. Really? In droves? :)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Cooper IMO is now the most entertaining player in world rugby. He is gold for the code in this country, and if the ARU don't throw everything at him to keep him in the sport here they have rocks in their heads. He is so entertaining he will have league fans converting in their droves.

Spot on, 100%, Scotty. I have to chuckle though: if you recall, amongst others, it was you and I who had to keep defending him in various mid (and maybe late) 2010 posts; in part, he was viciously attacked by some over the infamous laptop matter (even though they had no real ideas of the actual facts), then we had the 'he must be dropped as he can't tackle and needs to be shown a lesson' brigade. To his credit, he has come through all that, and is now a superbly accomplished player that is simply super-valuable to Aus rugby. That he is not 90+% outstanding in every single facet of the game is not the issue: he is hugely effective in the critical, core facets that win big matches, week in, week out.

Never though underestimate the ARU's ability to stuff up their greatest assets. Sadly, I would not live in hope of them handling him well (noting though that JO'N's 'renewal of ARU CEO contract' went through impeccably smoothly and quickly, so perhaps they are practising).

T

TOCC

^^ RH, most Reds fans have been saying this for quite some time, i think its only this season that fans from other states are starting to accept it as well, in the world of armchair critics, building a negative reputation can happen overnight, building a positive reputation takes years.

Status
Not open for further replies.