• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Rebels, Super Rugby Round 16, 1 June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
RedsHappy

Could not agree with your post more. Especially e). No matter what people say, he is an absolute legend to kids around Australia AND New Zealand and he gets the game more publicity (yes good and bad) than any other player past or present. The number of times I have heard phrases like "oh mate you're pretty much Quade Cooper", "Can you do those Quade flick passes?", "Did you see his stepping?" etc. etc. is amazing and its exactly what the game needs when competing with the likes of NRL and AFL.

In regards to the game itself, it was extremely weird and I think we have seen that Cooper still has a fair bit to do in terms of that consistency. But lets not forget the the All Blacks flyhalf was charged down twice only a week ago. Why are people saying there was only one charge down? Looked like two to me..

The second was kicked into a player then caught by Sidey. So technically not a charge down.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
RedsHappy

Could not agree with your post more. Especially e). No matter what people say, he is an absolute legend to kids around Australia AND New Zealand and he gets the game more publicity (yes good and bad) than any other player past or present. The number of times I have heard phrases like "oh mate you're pretty much Quade Cooper", "Can you do those Quade flick passes?", "Did you see his stepping?" etc. etc. is amazing and its exactly what the game needs when competing with the likes of NRL and AFL.

In regards to the game itself, it was extremely weird and I think we have seen that Cooper still has a fair bit to do in terms of that consistency. But lets not forget the the All Blacks flyhalf was charged down twice only a week ago. Why are people saying there was only one charge down? Looked like two to me..

Point taken, but kids don't know much of course.:)
You want the best player for the position, not the flashiest best marketing prospect.
I am coming around to him as the best option simply because I don't see a much better alternative.

As for you wondering why Carter is given more rope than Cooper - perhaps you haven't been watching their respective careers closely enough. Carter is arguably the greatest first-five to ever play rugby. Quade isn't.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
The second was kicked into a player then caught by Sidey. So technically not a charge down.

Which player? Like half of Suncorp I had my head in my hands as I wailed "Why, Quade? Why?" Wasn't it one of the rebels? So wasn't that the (second) charge down?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Which player? Like half of Suncorp I had my head in my hands as I wailed "Why, Quade? Why?" Wasn't it one of the rebels? So wasn't that the (second) charge down?

Looks like Neville. Happens at about 5.20. Was very hard to pick up live and watching on TV i only saw it on a front on.

Thanks for the video Franklind.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Carter is arguably the greatest first-five to ever play rugby
Amen.
He also:
  • has won a bledisloe or 2
  • has won a world cup
  • has won more than 1 super title
  • seems to have a fair bit of marketing pull - underwear ads, a/c
    Carter models forJockey underwearon billboards worldwide.[21]In 2004 and 2005, Carter was voted sexiest New Zealand male in a survey, receiving 35.7% of the vote in 2005.[22]
    In November 2006, he released his book Dan Carter: Skills & Performance. It included stories about his relatively brief international rugby career as well as section on skills for younger players.
    Carter was the first person in the world to purchase a PC shipped with Windows Vista in 2008.[23] In 2008, American Cable Channel E! judged Carter to be 11th on its list of the world's sexiest men,[24] and in 2010 E! voted him the world's 3rd sexiest male athlete.[25]
    In 2009, Carter and his future wife joined him in one campaign.[26]
    Carter has also been aspokesmodelforDaikinheat pumps,[27]and from mid-2011, Philips electric shavers.[28]
  • Is adores by a whole nation, as a far as i can tell.
  • Does all the community work: didn't i read where he was running the water for Southbridge - his club team in a village south of Christchurch?
  • Has committed no on or off field atrocities
In short they operate in different realities!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I had almost finished by 12 step Quadeitis program. I was right on the brink of recovery. But then he went and did this.

Look in the background at 12.06 to 12.09

Phipps was running his mouth literally the entire game to the Reds. It was so fucking loud I could hear him from a few rows in. 100% deserved it.

lewisr

DC only got charged down once v Chiefs, the other was either Crotty or Taylor. All about the same height with the same haircut/color though, first watch through I thought it was Carter both times too. Carter got charged down by Cruden, was a bit fitting.

Inside Shoulder

Quade does more community outreach and juniors work than any player in Australia. The Waratahs just don't make 1000 press releases every time he goes. He also regularly goes and plays with the boys when they tour South Africa as well and has a big following there because of it.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I agree with both of your comments guys. Wasn't asking why he gets more rope but more that even the best of players make big errors. Quade just has such a bad history so they get a lot more attention and I would say this is rightly so. However he has massively improved this year and showed that he can now come back from those nightmares. In the past he would have collapsed.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Quade plays a risky style and has been under a microscope since mid-late 2010. It's been covered on here but the amount of coverage his mistakes get and the level of scrutiny he is regularly under when compared to other players borders on hyperbole.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Phipps was running his mouth literally the entire game to the Reds. It was so fucking loud I could hear him from a few rows in. 100% deserved it.

lewisr

DC only got charged down once v Chiefs, the other was either Crotty or Taylor. All about the same height with the same haircut/color though, first watch through I thought it was Carter both times too. Carter got charged down by Cruden, was a bit fitting.

Phipps has a horrid mouth. Does not excuse Quade smacking him though... Really disappointed to see that, I thought he was past immature stuff like that.

Ahh ok fair enough. Taylor looks like carter haha.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If a scum half who can't pass was running his mouth for an entire match when his team hardly looked like scoring outside of a few short intervals I might give him a cheeky smack as well

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I had almost finished by 12 step Quadeitis program. I was right on the brink of recovery. But then he went and did this.

Look in the background at 12.06 to 12.09

Yeah, saw it live. Made me chuckle ruefully. Phipps was annoying prat all game - at one stage he wandered up to S Fainga'a when he was about to throw to the line out and was listening for the call and started shouting sledging directly into his left ear.

But that sort of carry-on is poor.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That's good stuff, Phipps gives it out and should be able to take it.

The Rebels need a team to hate and the Reds might fit the bill. Not sure it's seen that way from the Reds perspective but there looked to be a bit more spite and niggle out there than usual.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
That's good stuff, Phipps gives it out and should be able to take it.

The Rebels need a team to hate and the Reds might fit the bill. Not sure it's seen that way from the Reds perspective but there looked to be a bit more spite and niggle out there than usual.
Shit I think we're too busy hating/getting hate from the Tahs, Brumbies & Force to handle another team!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Higgers claims that Beau's knee had to be pretty high for him to tackle it and make of that what we will. Just bitter about missing the Lions or something in it?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Higgers claims that Beau's knee had to be pretty high for him to tackle it and make of that what we will. Just bitter about missing the Lions or something in it?
Well Robinson was playing like a grub for most of that match. Does Higgers have a history of whinging?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I was expecting to hear of Beau's citing over the incident today. He did raise his knee going into the tackle. Although it's hard to see on TV

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.