• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds V Highlanders Rd 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Reds got the win they needed, no bonus point but that wasn't really a possibility in a low scoring game. They're still in with a chance to make the finals while others might be out of it by the time this round is over.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Great defence by the Reds at the end there to save their season.

The Reds were desperate and stretched. The Speights Drinkers had several opportunities to score if they had gone wider with speed. Fortunately for QLD, they didn't go wide.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
How did the Reds get out of that last couple of minutes?? Epic defence.
Kaplan threw a lot of warnings around, very surprised he didn't go to cards (possibly both ways). Not specifically directed at either of these teams, but I hate it when refs escalate rounds of pre-warnings, warnings and "now I really mean it" warnings and do nothing.
The Reds roll on. Might want to tighten some wheel nuts though! ;)

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
I don't remember the last time I was so nervous watching the Reds at the end there.

Injury report; how are we looking? Ioane and Gill (?) are going to make a huge difference around the park. But we have most likely lost F'Sautia and Simmons, who was playing great football.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Reds were desperate and stretched. The Speights Drinkers had several opportunities to score if they had gone wider with speed. Fortunately for QLD, they didn't go wide.

Agree completely Hugh. Didn't say it was very organised defence just great defence. Highlanders had a bit of tunnel vision and it's possible if the Reds were more organised they might not have had the bodies there to stop them taking it up the middle.

Last couple of minutes was all about the Highlanders will to barge over and the Reds will to keep them out. Reds just edged it but credit to both teams for emptying the tank.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
...snip

I'll add a rant at Bryce Lawrence as well because I'm in the mood. He STILL manages to ruin a game from the TMO in the earlier game. A clear as day double movement and he awards a try.

Was BL the TMO in Hamilton? Not surprised given what we saw. Even our old Labrador saw it was No Try.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
I'd forgotten how good Quade's pass is. I thought his defense was good tonight as well.

He certainly rips it out there, it's a weapon. Although there is a reason all of the replays of his passes are end-on shots. ;)

Was BL the TMO? Not surprised given what we saw. Even our old Labrador saw it was No Try.

Yes he was.

Also, well done Reds. They toughed it out and did what needed to be done. Won't work against stronger sides than the Highlanders though. Good luck next week.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Was BL the TMO? Not surprised given what we saw. Even our old Labrador saw it was No Try.

Not so fast.

To me the momentum came from the arriving player who drove the ball carrier forward, rather than the ball carrier himself. The real issue was one that Bryce could not rule on, which was whether the firstly the tackler or secondly the ball carrier released.

For me, I think it was pretty clear that the tackler never released the ball carrier and should have been penalised. This action probably prevented a try being scored.

Even if the correct decision should have been a penalty against Crusaders for holding on, I do not think that Bryce could have made this decision based on the protocols he has to deal with.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Agree completely Hugh. Didn't say it was very organised defence just great defence. Highlanders had a bit of tunnel vision and it's possible if the Reds were more organised they might not have had the bodies there to stop them taking it up the middle.

Last couple of minutes was all about the Highlanders will to barge over and the Reds will to keep them out. Reds just edged it but credit to both teams for emptying the tank.

The game was really the Clans for the taking had they been a little smarter. They weren't, and it wasn't. White Line Fever from the Clan when a bit more patience and vision would have made a big difference for them.

Reds Defence was organised chaos, but it was effective.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
....snip...

Even if the correct decision should have been a penalty against Crusaders for holding on, I do not think that Bryce could have made this decision based on the protocols he has to deal with.

Didn't they sort out the TMO protocols after the debacle in Safferland last year when the Darkness scored off a blatant forward pass? The TMO advice was sought on the grounding which was faultless, and according to protocol all the TMO could comment on. The TMO however gave advice as to the Forward Pass. Result Try disallowed.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Not so fast.

To me the momentum came from the arriving player who drove the ball carrier forward, rather than the ball carrier himself. The real issue was one that Bryce could not rule on, which was whether the firstly the tackler or secondly the ball carrier released.

For me, I think it was pretty clear that the tackler never released the ball carrier and should have been penalised. This action probably prevented a try being scored.

I shouldn't have said double movement because that's not the right term. I'd like to know the rule with a player who is stopped, on the ground. Technically the tackler should release and Ellis should have released the ball but Whitelock was shoving him over a split second later so neither was going to happen. I think technically it wasn't a try because Ellis placed the ball AFTER his momentum had stopped, regardless of someone else pushing him over. Split second stuff though so it's tough.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I shouldn't have said double movement because that's not the right term. I'd like to know the rule with a player who is stopped, on the ground. Technically the tackler should release and Ellis should have released the ball but Whitelock was shoving him over a split second later so neither was going to happen. I think technically it wasn't a try because Ellis placed the ball AFTER his momentum had stopped, regardless of someone else pushing him over. Split second stuff though so it's tough.

I think it was a very tough decision. I want to get another view before I get too dogmatic about it, but I think the decision was probably correct in terms of the rules governing the use of the TMO. If anyone is to blame it is Walsh for not making one of the two decisions I mentioned earlier - either the tackler didn't release or the ball carrier didn't release the ball - both of which happened before the goal line and can not sensibly be described as "in the act of scoring the try". The TMO's hands are tied.

I do understand that Bryce is a popular punchbag around here, but lets not jump on him just because.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Just back from the game.

Unfortunately, it's impossible for me to tell you what was going on because there was some fucking idiot running all over the place waving his arms and blowing a whistle.

He was waving his arms about to get the attention of the back up referee so they could go to the Refs room and get his YC/RC kit which I think he may have left in his gear bag. :)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think it was a very tough decision. I want to get another view before I get too dogmatic about it, but I think the decision was probably correct in terms of the rules governing the use of the TMO. If anyone is to blame it is Walsh for not making one of the two decisions I mentioned earlier - either the tackler didn't release or the ball carrier didn't release the ball - both of which happened before the goal line and can not sensibly be described as "in the act of scoring the try". The TMO's hands are tied.

I do understand that Bryce is a popular punchbag around here, but lets not jump on him just because.
True. He can only rule on grounding / illegality over the line.
It wasn't a try, for mine, but not Bryce's fault.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
He was waving his arms about to get the attention of the back up referee so they could go to the Refs room and get his YC/RC kit which I think he may have left in his gear bag. :)

My god yes. I think Kaplan gave 4 team warnings to the Reds, and yet continued to bottle it.

When the ref adjudicated that Cooper knocked it on deliberately then he had to go for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.