• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Bulls: Round 4 - Suncorp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
We're on a one game winning streak! I wonder what the game plan is?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reckon Thorn will stick to predominantly the same team.

Duncan may be under a bit of pressure in the backs.
As mentioned on the Homepage he hasn't really "gelled" with Jonno.

Lucas should be on the bench (if he's right to go)

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Reckon Thorn will stick to predominantly the same team.

Duncan may be under a bit of pressure in the backs.
As mentioned on the Homepage he hasn't really "gelled" with Jonno.

What like 5 people I spoke to have said DP is probably our best back right now?! Had he not been yanked he'd have been a real contended for MotM!

I think the issue is more with Lance than with Paia'aua.

Lucas should be on the bench (if he's right to go)
Also I looked into Lucas (if you'd like I can find the post about it) he's really not very good. The only way he gets on the bench in my opinion is if we go with a 6-2 split and I think at the moment we don't have the depth in the forwards for that; maybe, maybe if we are having him cover 9.
The TL;DR with Ben Lucas is he wasn't even making it onto the bench in France nor in Japan. The fact of the matter is we have the 28 year old Lance on a one year deal, we have the 30 year old Lucas who wasn't even starting in France or Japan (not sure of his contract length), and we have the 20 year old Stewart who's contracted with us for a few years... Who do you bring in off the bench. (Note: we aren't going to be winning a title this season or next; I know who I pick for my bench.)

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
What like 5 people I spoke to have said DP is probably our best back right now?! Had he not been yanked he'd have been a real contended for MotM!

Also I looked into Lucas (if you'd like I can find the post about it) he's really not very good. The only way he gets on the bench in my opinion is if we go with a 6-2 split and I think at the moment we don't have the depth in the forwards for that; maybe, maybe if we are having him cover 9.
The TL;DR with Ben Lucas is he wasn't even making it onto the bench in France nor in Japan. The fact of the matter is we have the 28 year old Lance on a one year deal, we have the 30 year old Lucas who wasn't even starting in France or Japan (not sure of his contract length), and we have the 20 year old Stewart who's contracted with us for a few years. Who do you bring in off the bench. (Note: we aren't going to be winning a title this season or next; I know who I pick for my bench.)

If BT is a good coach, he would have studied Lucas's past form, both the good & the bad, and determine that with a bit of one-on-one direct tuition, he can get the best out of him.
If he can do that, then we know why Thorn chose Lucas in the squad at assumably a good price.
I think we sometimes forget that the Reds haven't got much in the kitty, and before people go off half cocked, past G & G forum threadss have already dissected the problems for this to happen

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)

The TL;DR with Ben Lucas is he wasn't even making it onto the bench in France nor in Japan. The fact of the matter is we have the 28 year old Lance on a one year deal, we have the 30 year old Lucas who wasn't even starting in France or Japan (not sure of his contract length), and we have the 20 year old Stewart who's contracted with us for a few years. Who do you bring in off the bench. (Note: we aren't going to be winning a title this season or next; I know who I pick for my bench.)

ZC, I think you are speaking a little out of school. We played the Bankers on Saturday out at Redlands (big drive) and Lucas played 9 for quite a bit. He was fairly impressive, scored a try and tackled very strongly as far as I noticed. His young brother played also. He is not very good you say, he has something like 80 caps for the Reds, how many do you have? I'd like to know the truth of it (if anyone knows) but I've heard he had a falling out with Jake White who followed him from France to Japan

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
ZC, I think you are speaking a little out of school. We played the Bankers on Saturday out at Redlands (big drive) and Lucas played 9 for quite a bit. He was fairly impressive, scored a try and tackled very strongly as far as I noticed. His young brother played also. He is not very good you say, he has something like 80 caps for the Reds, how many do you have? I'd like to know the truth of it (if anyone knows) but I've heard he had a falling out with Jake White who followed him from France to Japan

I was curious and so I did some digging about Ben Lucas and I'm not sure he's as good as everyone appears to be remembering / thinks he is.
Firstly, towards the end of his time at Montpellier he was struggling to even get on the bench for them, let alone start. While I do concede he was pushed out by some quality players - Jesse Mogg, François Steyn, Ruan Pienaar, and Nick White to name a few. He has come off a contract in Japan where he played for an average side (literally finished 8th out of 16).
Looking at his time there, of the 15 games he started only 3, none at 10. He had 4 appearances off the bench and 8 games where he wasn't in the 23.

So here is what we can see from the most recent evidence -- he isn't outstanding by French Standards; he isn't even outstanding by Japanese standards.

So that is my post from January, and a few people did point out Jake White followed him from France (just referencing it for clarity).

I did say the only way I'd see him in the 23 is if he covers 9, I do think it's possible given McDermott hasn't been all that impressive. But from my above post I'm not trying to say Lucas is a terrible player, and I do accept I phrased it poorly, I should have said 'there's been no indication Lucas is very good' but these aren't exactly research essays or something.

I think it's a good thing if Lucas has been playing 9 and playing well there, he'll provide good cover for Tuttle. Although I haven't seen or heard enough (read anything) of him to know yet if he's superior to McDermott or Sorovi, at this point I would say the pecking order is Tuttle, Sorovi, Lucas, McDermott, but the separation between the last 3 is very minor.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Time will tell Zero - I didn't think Duncan has been playing to his ability (for whatever reason).

Personally I think Lance has been excellant

AND on the Lucas matter I've watched him at school level, Reds and beyond.

The bloke signed in France. All good until old mate Jake White gets the coaching gig. He hated Lucas and he only played a handful of games under the "Spit the Dummy" Jake. Lucas says fair enough and fucks off to Japan. All good until the same club signs "the Whinger". Lucas on the outer again. Lucas signs with the Reds and there is no way White is coming here.

Lucas is not a champion footballer but he is solid, He'll do me all day long from the bench and covers a multitude of positions.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nutbrown's turn to dish out some cards?

Match Reds v Bulls @ Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Date Saturday 10 MarchKick-off 18:45 local

Referee Jamie Nutbrown
AR1 Will Houston
AR2 Graham Cooper
TMO Damien Mitchelmore

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
The Bulls are looking very much improved this season so far, beat the Canes and ran the Lions closer than the scoreboard suggested, but I'm hoping that away from their altitude fortress and into the Brisbane humidity, we'll have them.

They've got a huge pack but really struggled to the defend the Lions' maul, so I reckon Thorn will sniff out another opportunity to dominate up front and "out-Brumby the Brumbies." Combined with the likely damp conditions it might not be the best spectacle for running rugby but I'll forgive them if they get a win.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Nutbrown's turn to dish out some cards?

Match Reds v Bulls @ Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Date Saturday 10 MarchKick-off 18:45 local

Referee Jamie Nutbrown
AR1 Will Houston
AR2 Graham Cooper
TMO Damien Mitchelmore

He could be going for a pocket quite a bit, the Reds and Bulls have played two games each and got six cards between them already - five yellows and a red. Statistically there should be three cards this match!

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
The Bulls are looking very much improved this season so far, beat the Canes and ran the Lions closer than the scoreboard suggested, but I'm hoping that away from their altitude fortress and into the Brisbane humidity, we'll have them.

They've got a huge pack but really struggled to the defend the Lions' maul, so I reckon Thorn will sniff out another opportunity to dominate up front and "out-Brumby the Brumbies." Combined with the likely damp conditions it might not be the best spectacle for running rugby but I'll forgive them if they get a win.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Thorn approaches the forwards battle, I do think if any pack had the size to front up against the Bulls it would be ours. But you would think it might be smarter to go around the Maginot line than through it.

And I'm just praying that Will Huston keeps him in check, Huston is a pretty level headed referee.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The reds have only given away 13 penalties in two games but have managed to turn three of those into cards. Amazing conversion rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.