• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - Super Rugby Round 7 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
You must be chuffed by the way your guys are playing even though they lost against the Sharks. Christian is not getting huge wraps but he should be. He could make a case to Deans this year for the EOYT and his kicking percentage of 88% at the minute and the ability to play both 10 and 12 - and even 15 - will do him no harm at all.

He's started the season strongly the last couple of years but hasn't had any luck at all with injuries to be fit enough to be considered by the end of the year. It's his defence that's the most impressive improvement this year though not he's kicking; he's tackling at 95%, with the second most amount of tackles made of all Australian backs, and with Cooper out of the picture he leads with the most line break creates also.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I have been a fan of Hooper for some time and can't help wondering how wise it is not playing him when we hear he is currently negotiating his contract with multiple franchises. We have seen a glimpse of what he can do, resulting in a MOTM performance, Aus team of the week and Super 15 team of the week, yet Jake has gone back to a big low work rate 7 that failed to impress in the first 2 games. If you were looking to secure your future would you stay at the brumbies?

I hope that Hooper comes home but he probably appreciates what Jake is doing. Jake is playing a long game that is not altogether about today, but about the future also.

In a sense, this is not his team yet. Right now he will be looking at the player roster for 2013 and 2014 and evening out contract end dates by position so that all the scrummies or hookers, for example, don't have their contracts ending in the same year.

To do that he has to have a good look, a really good look, at what players can do outside of their best position. The hiring of Mowen did Vaea no favours, but if Vaea can show some ability as a 7 (indeed he has the build to play the ball on the ground) it will get a tick in the "Ability to perform other duties" column. That could be important to Vaea if a choice has to be made between Colby and him for a contract spot. Eventually it will do no harm to him as an 8 either.

Like the two guys running away from a bear in the woods, but one taking time to put on his trainers, he knows that he just has to get ahead of the other fellow.

T

tranquility

Even though it hasn't paid immediate dividends, isn't it great that White saw in Vaea what most of us saw as a shortcoming (his height) at line-out time, an identified the possibility of improving his skill set at the breakdown.

Not just the Brumbies will benefit from the know-how of one of SA best modern coaches.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Today is also the the anniversary of the passing of Shaun Mackay. It'll give the Brumbies a little extra to play for.

Thanks for bringing this up Brumbies Guy I completely forgot this was the same day as Shaun's passing. I never got to meet him but word was he was a great bloke & from a women's rugby point of view I knew he had trained women's rugby players in 7's I believe. An absolute waste that he is no longer among us.

Based on form alone I pick the Brumbies to win & I'm hoping they win for MacKay now TBH but this really is a must win game for the Reds IMO (as Horwill said himself). Therefore I think this could be a much tighter game than some are predicting. If the Reds lose by a small margin then their fans (or at least if I was) would take that as a positive given their results of the last few rounds & the way the Brumbies have been carrying themselves so far. That would be a result you could build & take confidence from.

I know the Reds have had injuries but they are back at home, they are coming off a couple of hard games & there are those that are writing them off. As a player I cant imagine being more motivated to turn things around if I were in their position. If they go out there & still get belted that would be a disastrous result for them (confidence wise anyhow). For mine, whilst concerned I would be happy not to write the Reds off (regardless of the result) until I see how Quade goes on return.

L

laps

As a Brumbies fan: Gill is an awesome player and I would easily have him starting over Hooper/Vaea... Im surprised he hasn't been starting over the out-of-form Robinson for that matter...

This is hard to tip, and I think it will be within 5 points each way. Based on roster and form, I tipped the Brumbies, however, this is super rugby and anything can happen, as we have seen through the many upsets so far this season... Brumbies have been playing great as a squad, and are improving each week, they will also be pumped up fo McKay... Reds are depleted, new combinations, however, they know how important this game is and will give it their all...

Whatever happens it should be a cracking game

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Atthe stadium and watching a curtain raiser, fuck me he boys are getting bigger or is when I played there where not alot of islanders. Great 1st 10min

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hope that Hooper comes home but he probably appreciates what Jake is doing. Jake is playing a long game that is not altogether about today, but about the future also.

In a sense, this is not his team yet. Right now he will be looking at the player roster for 2013 and 2014 and evening out contract end dates by position so that all the scrummies or hookers, for example, don't have their contracts ending in the same year.

To do that he has to have a good look, a really good look, at what players can do outside of their best position. The hiring of Mowen did Vaea no favours, but if Vaea can show some ability as a 7 (indeed he has the build to play the ball on the ground) it will get a tick in the "Ability to perform other duties" column. That could be important to Vaea if a choice has to be made between Colby and him for a contract spot. Eventually it will do no harm to him as an 8 either.

Like the two guys running away from a bear in the woods, but one taking time to put on his trainers, he knows that he just has to get ahead of the other fellow.

Indeed.

In fact, I believe White mentioned that this is exactly his intention in an article during the week...

He hasn't seen a lot of these guys until now and he needs to know who to keep and who to let go at the end of the season...

There's still a lot of quality guys yet to have a run - Siliva, Fainga'a, Fotu, Crawford, Kuridrani...

There were a number of players who were signed on before Jake got involved, and I guess it's no surprise that Jesse Mogg, despite just being EPS, is being selected over full time squad members as Jake signed him after personally watching him play for Wests in the John I Dent Cup...

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
This game has been quite brutal so far.

Brumbies, true to form, are kicking it high. They are kicking it to the wrong bloke though. They would fare much better if they put the high ball up against Davies.

Taps has looked dangerous everytime he has had the ball. Higgers workload is good, and the boys are getting parity at the breakdown. I like the look of Lane, he looks very settled.

Come on boys!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The last one he was lying on the ground when he played it...

The rucks are an absolute shambles, and its exceptionally noticeable after watching the Canea game which I thought Jackson was pretty flawless...

Brumbies need to bring on Hooper and test out this anything goes situation Walsh is running...

Status
Not open for further replies.