• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2023

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t see any prospect of QC (Quade Cooper) coming back. But I’m not Thorn or Cooper.

As far as I understood though the Reds & Kerevi parted on good terms, it is just the relationship with Piccone that is potentially an issue.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I don’t see any prospect of QC (Quade Cooper) coming back. But I’m not Thorn or Cooper.

As far as I understood though the Reds & Kerevi parted on good terms, it is just the relationship with Piccone that is potentially an issue.
My sarcasm wasn’t obvious? I don’t think we’ll see QC (Quade Cooper) at anytime during Thorn’s tenure.
I heard Kerevi was pissed off that the Reds and RA didn’t come together on his negotiations before he left. He might be over it now and wants to move back. I would love to see that signing.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
If he comes back would we revert to just having him smash the ball up all of the time, while effective I think we play a more entertaining way without him and I am happy with out team.

I don't think he would be a cheap contract and maybe we could get better value elsewhere by securing a few players rather than spending large amounts on just one player.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

A 193 cm hooker beside a 181 cm prop, in Tupou, could cause issues in the scrum. You could create a weakness between hooker and tighthead or depower the scrum by having the hookers feet too far under him. Happy to be proved wrong by the clever people on this forum.
go watch it some day. works a treat with the argentinean style of "Bajado" scrumming.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Let’s see how he goes in QPR in 2022 before pushing his Super Rugby 2023 cause too far eh
never pushed for Super Rugby 2023. Only stated he was one of the youngsters worth watching develop, especially as the hooker position is not flush with stand outs like other spots like fullback, winger, centre, second row.

Stranger things have happened though.

Phil Kearns was selected from Randwick Reggies to be a wallaby based on his Aust U21 pathway performance. If I remember correctly it might have been Eddie Jones who was the 1st grade hooker at the time

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kearns had already played for the Waratahs and that was amateur rugby.

The hooker for the Puma scrum is not 190cm. He’s about 10cm shorter than that.

Ledesma was about the same as was Mendez.

The ‘Bajada’ is more of an 8 man push (no longer allowed) and was commonly successful when a prop was converted to hooker rather than an unusually tall hooker as you propose

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Kearns had already played for the Waratahs and that was amateur rugby.

The hooker for the Puma scrum is not 190cm. He’s about 10cm shorter than that.

Ledesma was about the same as was Mendez.

The ‘Bajada’ is more of an 8 man push (no longer allowed) and was commonly successful when a prop was converted to hooker rather than an unusually tall hooker as you propose
Bajada is more about "mechanical advantage" and point of pressure than an 8 man shove.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Bajada is more about "mechanical advantage" and point of pressure than an 8 man shove.

As I understand it, the Bajada was initially about a front row spear point created by binding with the hooker in front of both props and using this pressure point to shear apart the opposing scrum. That was made illegal ages ago and "Bajada" continued to be used as a name for effective Argentinian scrummaging. And at that time it was about 8 men together in the push.

Either way, it's little to do with particularly tall hookers from anything I have read.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

As I understand it, the Bajada was initially about a front row spear point created by binding with the hooker in front of both props and using this pressure point to shear apart the opposing scrum. That was made illegal ages ago and "Bajada" continued to be used as a name for effective Argentinian scrummaging. And at that time it was about 8 men together in the push.

Either way, it's little to do with particularly tall hookers from anything I have read.

A few articles worth a read if you are interested. All describe a similar methodology and intent. What they are a little silent on is the need for it to work is having a big strong hooker that can be used as a conduit for the power.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

A few articles worth a read if you are interested. All describe a similar methodology and intent. What they are a little silent on is the need for it to work is having a big strong hooker that can be used as a conduit for the power.

Thanks! I have read the first two, and will get on to the last at some point.