• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2023

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Gonna throw it out there, but the Reds would be better off using that cash and foreign marquee spot on a Hooker than another Fijian winger.
Agustin Creevy
w-1237_h-auto_m-fit_s-any__GettyImages-1229638474.jpg

I'd imagine the Tahs are in a similar boat, they don't need to spend the cash on Nadolo?
If you are not happy with the young Aussie wingers coming through the system I'd spend my money in a YOUNG and ELEGIBLE NRL winger. Doesnt have to be an expensive superstar like Addo-Carr, maybe an average like Naiyaravoro few years ago

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gonna throw it out there, but the Reds would be better off using that cash and foreign marquee spot on a Hooker than another Fijian winger.

I'd imagine the Tahs are in a similar boat, they don't need to spend the cash on Nadolo?
Tahs don’t need a hooker…a powerful winger they could probably do with. Not against the idea but money could be deciding factor here

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agustin Creevy
View attachment 13182

If you are not happy with the young Aussie wingers coming through the system I'd spend my money in a YOUNG and ELEGIBLE NRL winger. Doesnt have to be an expensive superstar like Addo-Carr, maybe an average like Naiyaravoro few years ago
Why not both - ie spend money on proven if aged super rugby Fijian winger get immediate short term return plus invest in young nrl winger who may take time and be more riskier to get to top shelf performance. My point is pros and cons of both options but I think both are sensible but different strategies with different short vs long term outcomes to target

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Why not both - ie spend money on proven if aged super rugby Fijian winger get immediate short term return plus invest in young nrl winger who may take time and be more riskier to get to top shelf performance. My point is pros and cons of both options but I think both are sensible but different strategies with different short vs long term outcomes to target
Long term development and short term results aren’t mutually exclusive for sporting teams, it’s about balance.

Reds likely to have two outside back vacancies for 2023, i cant see Vunivalu been re-signed and Droasese back in Fiji. Room for a development player and a experienced one.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Nadalo is an outside back yes, when you said "hooker" i assumed you were taking the piss and didn't respond to that query.

You're missing Droasese... he isn't at the club anymore

Long term development and short term results aren’t mutually exclusive for sporting teams, it’s about balance.

Reds likely to have two outside back vacancies for 2023, i cant see Vunivalu been re-signed and Droasese back in Fiji. Room for a development player and a experienced one.

This is what I was missing.I was working on Vunivalu making good. Add Jock, Petaia, Flook, Daugunu - felt like we had it covered. If Vunivalu is out, depth is reduced and I can the logic of an older player covering a couple of years.

I'd still be focussed at hooker and 2nd row.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
It’s really going to come down to how much money Nadolo is chasing.

I don’t think he’s in our best 23, and with another lap around the sun next season his weaknesses are going to be more apparent, this is a 35yr old winger we are talking about, not a well aged prop.

If he’s looking for anything close to $500k surely the Reds tell him to go chat with Darryl Kerrigan.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Isn’t the talk that he wants to move back for family reasons?

Hopefully that means he is happy with a relatively cheap deal. In that case he wouldn’t be a priority signing for me, but i can see value.

Agree though that hooker and lock look more a concern.

Overall I am happy if they continue to promote from within.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
You wouldn’t be paying anywhere near $500k for him, and if he is looking at returning to super rugby he would know that.

yeah hooker and lock the higher priorities, but realistically Reds aren’t signing a marquee lock, internationally Reds/Australia can’t compete. It’s going to be a Wilson Blyth or Vest type person promoted into that role.

Likewise with hooker, I’ll bang my head against the wall if Reds sign a foreign hooker whilst a Wallabies hooker sits on the Brumbies bench or out of the matchday 23.

dru

David Wilson (68)
You wouldn’t be paying anywhere near $500k for him, and if he is looking at returning to super rugby he would know that.

yeah hooker and lock the higher priorities, but realistically Reds aren’t signing a marquee lock, internationally Reds/Australia can’t compete. It’s going to be a Wilson Blyth or Vest type person promoted into that role.

Likewise with hooker, I’ll bang my head against the wall if Reds sign a foreign hooker whilst a Wallabies hooker sits on the Brumbies bench or out of the matchday 23.

Not really an issue that Refs have control of. Does anyone know if RA might be discussing either the Aus franchises?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)

Agree with that last bit. In the last few years the Reds (and other franchises) have really improved their development of young players. Still a way to go, but it is a much more sustainable model.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
The current young?/in-experienced Reds hookers need someone to develop off rather than FF (Folau Fainga'a). I cannot see Latu being brought into the squad after his numerous alcohol related car incidents. BPA is chasing the cash and has already committed for a few years to Europe?
The country needs good hookers and so do the reds - I would just think that the preference would be for them to work together as I'm sure RA wouldn't be thrilled that 3 of our top 4 hookers are/will be overseas and the Reds bring in a ineligible import

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
So wing. Barring a number of simultaneous injuries, I don't see him starting. Isn't that a waste of a marquee? Have to admit his physical stats are impressive.

Droaese is what, 23? Nadolo is 35? Do I have that right? Seems an odd exchange on any number of levels. What am I missing?
Maybe Droasese isn't actually any good and shouldn't be a pro rugby player?

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Even the most hardcore Vunivalu supporters surely couldn't support him being paid another contract by QRU/RA worth $600-$900k per season as reported by various outlets. Unless he comes back for the final 4 games of Super Rugby and scores 10 tries of course and wins us the Grand Final, they can make a statue for him if that's the case.

Josh Addo Carr is seen as one of the NRL's premier wingers and is being paid $500k a year for 4 years by the Bulldogs, that is the high end of contracts for wingers.

I reckon the Dolphins would be considering an offer to Vunivalu which isn't quite that much - maybe $400k a year over 4 years. They've yet to sign any real marquee outside backs, and despite his injuries in recent years, he was a top 5 winger in the NRL for a number of years.

With Vuni's recent injury history, you'd think he would take a longer term deal for a bit less money, assuming the contract was totally guaranteed.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I imagine they only get serious about Nadolo if Vunivalu isn't re-signed. At that point he probably comes onto the bench at least sometimes. Would likely give Aubrey and Annan a bit more time to develop. Not a bad option but not an amazing one either. But If the need is specifically for an experienced head in the backline then he fits the bill better than most and won't get in the way of any of the young talent long term.

That said I'd rather see them sign Kye Oates first as an outside back option. He's not in the same league as Nadolo but there's a lot to like about him and I think he'd make an excellent replacement for Droasese.

Yep all about what is the needs which will differ for teams and at points in time. If what you say is true on those players then maybe nadolo of value but personally think would be better at tahs or rebels who could do with more experienced seasoned backs

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep all about what is the needs which will differ for teams and at points in time. If what you say is true on those players then maybe nadolo of value but personally think would be better at tahs or rebels who could do with more experienced seasoned backs
How valuable Nadolo is to the tahs or rebels is almost entirely irrelevant to the Reds deciding to sign him.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Adam, it's looking like Fainga'a might be available next year. Would you like to see the Reds go after him? In any case I don't think there will be a Wallaby hooker sitting outside the 23 so you will hopefully be headache free.