• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He’s also never lost to the tahs as a coach.
Although not relevant it appears he’s only ever worn t-shirts as well.

Wonder what his record is NSW v Qld?

To be fair, there are a lot of things I don't like about Brad. His attitude to playing NSW, strangely, is not on that list.

With or without the T.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
I haven't posted for a while as I wanted to give things some time... 6 games have been and gone, 50% win rate with some wins that surprised me but one constant has been the total lack of any cohesive attack. Some typical Reds style blowouts as well, so at this point of the season I am still not convinced Thornball is the answer...

Crowd figures seem to support my thoughts and playing boring one dimensional rugby definitely isn't going to bring them back.

The last minute stopgap halves are mediocre as expected, and in the meantime I read that Quade tore it up for Souths yesterday...

Reactions: dru

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I haven't posted for a while as I wanted to give things some time. 6 games have been and gone, 50% win rate with some wins that surprised me but one constant has been the total lack of any cohesive attack. Some typical Reds style blowouts as well, so at this point of the season I am still not convinced Thornball is the answer.

Crowd figures seem to support my thoughts and playing boring one dimensional rugby definitely isn't going to bring them back.

The last minute stopgap halves are mediocre as expected, and in the meantime I read that Quade tore it up for Souths yesterday.

Mmm, tore it up is probably overstating it, but he was clearly much better than the rest of the players on the field.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I haven't posted for a while as I wanted to give things some time. 6 games have been and gone, 50% win rate with some wins that surprised me but one constant has been the total lack of any cohesive attack. Some typical Reds style blowouts as well, so at this point of the season I am still not convinced Thornball is the answer.

The last minute stopgap halves are mediocre as expected, and in the meantime I read that Quade tore it up for Souths yesterday.

Check out the game yourself - pretty sure the Reds stream let's you go back in.

Souths were not one dimensional at all. Though Quade, like Brad, is not the mesiah.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Check out the game yourself - pretty sure the Reds stream let's you go back in.

Souths were not one dimensional at all. Though Quade, like Brad, is not the mesiah.
Thanks for that, didn't know it was streamed. I would have missed it anyway, went to Ellis Park to watch another "red" team play some great attacking rugby. Lions v Stormers, lots of tries!!!

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
So with the loss to the Brumbies the Reds slump to 11th raw, 9th (adjusting for number of games played).

Lucas and Higgers likely out for a few weeks, Perese and St George coming back.

What does that mean for the team?

I think we will see Korczyk move back to 6 to accommodate smith at 7. AK (Andrew Kellaway) is lucky to stay however with only 2 runs (for 7m), 3 tackles and 4 missed tackles. Probably see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) come back to the bench, or even a 6/2 split. I'd be throwing Perese right back into the wing where Nabuli was meant to go and push Nabuli back to bench unless a 6/2 split. I still think DP will miss out.

I'd be happy to see Tui moved to 6. (Though I'm sure we won't)

1. Slipper 2. Amosa 3. Thor
4. Rodda 5. Douglas
6. Tui 8. Timu 7. Smith
9. Tuttle 10. Lance 11. Perese 12. Kerevi 13. Sautia 14. Daugunu 15. Toua
16. Mafi 17. Smith 18. Smith 19. Hockings 20. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) 21. Korczyk 22. Mcdermott 23. Stewart

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)

Mate you are kidding yourself if you think the crowd numbers are a reflection on Brad Thorn gamestyle... Seriously?

The reds crowd is the way it is from the 6 years or so of losing that predates Thorn arrival.

We’ve had what 2 home games so far? Vs the brumbies and the bulls. I’m expecting bigger crowds from here on out albeit the next game the chiefs will be visiting but still think the reds are about to be given a chance from the general public after a somewhat successful road trip to Beuons Aeres & Capetown.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
and in the meantime I read that Quade tore it up for Souths yesterday.

How is this surprising at all? A guy being paid close to 7 figures who has all the time in the world to train 'tears it up' against amateurs who probably spend no more than 5 hours a week 'training'.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How is this surprising at all? A guy being paid close to 7 figures who has all the time in the world to train 'tears it up' against amateurs who probably spend no more than 5 hours a week 'training'.

Lol ye, 70 cap Wallaby does good for club team. Who would think eh?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think we will see Korczyk move back to 6 to accommodate smith at 7. AK (Andrew Kellaway) is lucky to stay however with only 2 runs (for 7m), 3 tackles and 4 missed tackles. Probably see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) come back to the bench, or even a 6/2 split. I'd be throwing Perese right back into the wing where Nabuli was meant to go and push Nabuli back to bench unless a 6/2 split. I still think DP will miss out.

4. Rodda 5. Douglas
6. Tui 8. Timu 7. Smith
16. Mafi 17. Smith 18. Smith 19. Hockings 20. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) 21. Korczyk 22. Mcdermott 23. Stewart

4. Rodda 5. Douglas
6. Tui 8. Timu 7. Smith

Pretty good side that.

I would definitely replace Ruan for Sef. Not much (if any) difference at scrumtime but big difference
around the park. Hopefully Thor should be OK - hear a little AC joint injury and many props play with that niggle.

Also would be happy with Ready on the bench instead of Mafi - think he would be rarin' to go.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Meanwhile the Reds have by far the worst try-scoring record in the comp with 12. Highlanders next worse with 18, but they've played 1 fewer game.

Defensively they are pretty much the middle of the comp, with 22 tries conceded.

Need to sort out the attack problem - and not compromise the defense to do so (the Quade compromise)

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Meanwhile the Reds have by far the worst try-scoring record in the comp with 12. Highlanders next worse with 18, but they've played 1 fewer game.

Defensively they are pretty much the middle of the comp, with 22 tries conceded.

Need to sort out the attack problem - and not compromise the defense to do so (the Quade compromise)

I don't disagree, but I'd say it's not important yet. Let's assume we finish in 12th (as our attack might indicate) that's not a bad season all things considered. We have tons of young players developing (apparently not Paia'aua or Stewart though -_-).

I'd be happy to trade a few wins this season for a few extra wins in a year or two.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Lol ye, 70 cap Wallaby does good for club team. Who would think eh?

Strangely enough Quades influence on Souths was compulsive - everyone was flinging the ball around with really expressive rugby and fabulous handling skills.

Exactly what Brad is missing at the moment. Maybe they should bring Quade in for handling skills?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty good side that.

I would definitely replace Ruan for Sef. Not much (if any) difference at scrumtime but big difference
around the park. Hopefully Thor should be OK - hear a little AC joint injury and many props play with that niggle.

Also would be happy with Ready on the bench instead of Mafi - think he would be rarin' to go.

I thought Ready was poor for the Tigers, not at all the best hooker on the field. I think he needs to do more to justify a starting slot for Easts let alone returning for the Reds.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Strangely enough Quades influence on Souths was compulsive - everyone was flinging the ball around with really expressive rugby and fabulous handling skills.

Exactly what Brad is missing at the moment. Maybe they should bring Quade in for handling skills?

Like even if you commit 100% to not playing him and tell him that (Quade has shown he's nothing but a professional so would likely dealz) just having him at training and around the squad surely would do wonders for the likes of Tuttle, Stewart, Paia'aua, Kerevi with their creativity and ball handling et al.

I thought Ready was poor for the Tigers, not at all the best hooker on the field. I think he needs to do more to justify a starting slot for Easts let alone returning for the Reds.

I was actually just about to throw that game on for a while in the background wondering how he went. I do think with Ready he's one of those players that what he brings isn't too apparent at club level but when you start playing Super etc it really starts to show.

Was anyone else really disappointed in the Smith boys against the Brumbies? Maybe worth a look at that young prop we have kicking around (if only to stick the boot up the backside of the Smith lads)? (It was bugging me so I looked him up -- Harry Hoopert plays for Brothers. Anyone got anything to report on him?)

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't disagree, but I'd say it's not important yet. Let's assume we finish in 12th (as our attack might indicate) that's not a bad season all things considered. We have tons of young players developing (apparently not Paia'aua or Stewart though -_-).

I'd be happy to trade a few wins this season for a few extra wins in a year or two.

Shame we don't have development teams like NZ so that these kids can develop & have more game time... you cant play professional rugby using kids.. 2nd half was a prime example.
Super Rugby is about winning not development. Thorn if anybody should realise that... he was 36 in 2011 winning world cup team, McCaw 30, DC 29.. average age 27.5... its call the experience formula....
NZ under 20s this year have only 3 that couldn't make the team due to Super Rugby commitments...

Status
Not open for further replies.