• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

How is it a fair assessment ? How many games have you seen him play, 3? 5?

Some of the Easts supporters on here would have seen him play atleast 20 premier games, plus U20 fixtures plus maybe schoolboy stuff.

He was an absolute standout at the U20s last year, so I dunno, maybe others are in a better position to call this one? Yeah.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I've seen Placid play about 4 and a half games this year (and about the same number before this year).

Talented player and he should have a future, but don't reckon he's Super standard at this stage. In saying that, he's only 19.

T

tranquility

I've seen Placid play about 4 and a half games this year (and about the same number before this year).

Talented player and he should have a future, but don't reckon he's Super standard at this stage. In saying that, he's only 19.

That's fair enough, but to say he isn't even the best fullback at the U20s based on a small scope is pretty rough, considering he was the best fullback at the U20s last year..

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Re Placid:

Given a number of the somewhat more 'subdued/cautious' comments above re JP's demonstrated skills and ability, I guess the other way of posing the question re his retention (or not) by the Reds is this:

Whom of similar ilk, age, and probable back line position, would we preference retaining here in QLD as a U20 or thereabouts player than Placid? What are the more preferenced candidates of his type? Genuine, open question.

Well, let me start: S Greene can play 15, he's a very fine talent in the making, maybe we'd prefer he stayed here (if for budget or other reasons we had to choose one way or the other)?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think you sum it up when you say talent in the making.
Has it really got to the stage where you have to take a punt on youngsters?
A really good example is the 13 in the Oz 20's squad.
I understand he has just signed with a French side.
Yet he has never played Shute Shield.
The incumbent in his SS side has an equally impressive resume,would eat him for breakfast ATM,and is only 2 years older.
I just don't get how he is a more attractive proposition than the incumbent 13 in his club.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jake McIntyre is an option for 15. Will be a 10 long term but he could be used there.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think you sum it up when you say talent in the making.
Has it really got to the stage where you have to take a punt on youngsters?
A really good example is the 13 in the Oz 20's squad.
I understand he has just signed with a French side.
Yet he has never played Shute Shield.
The incumbent in his SS side has an equally impressive resume,would eat him for breakfast ATM,and is only 2 years older.
I just don't get how he is a more attractive proposition than the incumbent 13 in his club.

I reckon that if a bloke in the Under 20's signs for a French club then his decision making is flawed. One would imagine that if he made the 20's he'd be pretty good.

He has no confidence in making a Super 15 side.

I wonder what the bloke is smoking???????

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Probably a rolled up photo copy of his paycheck from a French D2 club?

The barrier to entry is far, far lower and the paycheck is likely the same..if not better.

There's a ton of reasons a young guy would want to start cashing in or go overseas early.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I reckon that if a bloke in the Under 20's signs for a French club then his decision making is flawed. One would imagine that if he made the 20's he'd be pretty good.

He has no confidence in making a Super 15 side.

I wonder what the bloke is smoking???????

How many 19 year olds do you know that have a gap year? If I was 19 and some French guy wanted to pay me enough to go play Rugby in France for a year or two I doubt I would've waited for the thinking music. Especially if I already had a bunch of mates over in Europe backpacking as many his age probably do.

T

Train Without a Station

ILTW makes an excellent point.

Sport used to be difficult for youth to get their opportunity. Now however it appears to have gone too far in the other direction.

Generally your lower level contracts should be going to youngsters with potential. There appears to be somewhat of a race to sign younger talent though and it's flawed logic.

Whenever you have two very similar players in ability you should always go for youth as there is further potential and you need to look to the future.

But when it gets to the point that 19 year olds are being signed whilst there are unsigned 21 year olds keeping them out of grade rugby, surely there is a flaw in the fact people are willing to punt on a bloke being better than the guy, who's ability he has so far failed to even meet, despite being close in age.

Scrubber I don't flaw the player's logic though. If there is a bloke barely 2 years older than you, better than you both ahead of you at your club and also unsigned, what are your chances? Being the second best in your position at a club means there could be as many as 19-23 better players than you across the competition theoretically.

T

Train Without a Station

On Scoey and USA Rugger's points also. Surely Pro D2 is a more challenging environment and better development than SS also.

T

Train Without a Station

Is Greg Holmes past it? Surely at 31 he has one or two more seasons in him. We are talking about a tight head prop here. An up and coming, Super Rugby bench standard TH is what we need. Somebody like a PAE or similar (cool the jets Rebels fans) who has potential to develop into a quality starter.

With regards to 8 we either need to get a strong ball running option, or we need Browning to develop very quickly. NRC should give an indication of if he is on track with this or not. Ita Vaea would be worth a word at this point. Technically uncontracted and looks like being back to playing this year. Surely with our lack of line bending options he would be worth offering something better than the Brumbies could.

Personally I see Fotu as a player that suits what we need more. His lower work rate would not be an issue and his higher impact would be a welcome addition. Though Vaea still offer a high impact, it is slightly offset by a better work rate. He's the one available now though. Hopefully signing Butler has made it a little more difficult for them to keep Vaea. Would be a good result with both players offering an option that the respective teams had a greater need for.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
based on who is leaving, what we need **, rumours of who we are getting *

1.slipper, 2.hanson, 3. ?**, 4. simmons, 5.horwill, 6.schatz, 7. gill, 8. ?**

9.genia 10.quade 11.Digby* 12.Tapuai 13.CFS 14.JOC (James O'Connor)* 15.KHUNT*

16.Fainga'a 17.Daley 18.Holmes 19.Odonoghue 20.Browning 21.Lucas 22.Kerevi 23.Turner

24. kaitu'u (un20), 25.Kite, 26. Mcduling, 27.Quirk 28.Robinson 29.Frisby 30. Fainga'a 31.Kuridrani 32. JJ Taulagi

Leaving so far - anae, owen, harris, toua, davies, shipperly (maybe Fainga'a x2)

I heard several weeks ago that both Fingers had resigned - supposedly Reds mainly wanted long haired Finger but they come as a pair. Also a baseless rumour that Ben Lucas may look for some greener pastures. Frisby must also be close

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I heard several weeks ago that both Fingers had resigned - supposedly Reds mainly wanted long haired Finger but they come as a pair. Also a baseless rumour that Ben Lucas may look for some greener pastures. Frisby must also be close

Re-signed or resigned? It can get a bit confusing

T

Train Without a Station

Consider both the Fainga'as are 27 years of age I wouldn't right them off. There form is down on 2011 and 2012 yes, but they are entering their peak as footballers. They have shown the ability and should still have it in them. The right environment should see them perform well again.

The fact that they allegedly have business interests in Brisbane and are subsequently very reluctant to relocate would surely affect their negotiating factor.

They're an interesting one because they only ended up at the Reds because we wanted Saia and they came as a package. Though at their peak I consider Anthony to be the more valuable player to the Reds. Though due to the centres being basically the only position where we have depth, and not having a ready to go quality 3rd hooker, it's only Saia we allegedly wanted to keep.

Reactions: gel
Status
Not open for further replies.