• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

As far as I am aware Adam only plays 6 & 8 - but at his peak was the archetypal Super Rugby backrower. While he never was able to translate that form to test level, he would be an EXCELLENT mentor for our other large bodied backrowers. Would be an outstanding signing in my opinion.

• New Zealand Secondary Schools: Thomson played for New Zealand Secondary Schools in 2000
  • New Zealand Under 19: Thomson played for New Zealand Under 19 in 2001
  • New Zealand Under 21: Thomson played for New Zealand Under 21 in 2003
  • New Zealand Sevens : Thomson played for New Zealand Sevens in 2007
  • Over 100 games for Otago and The Highlanders
  • 29 Caps for the All-Blacks

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thomson isn't a large bodied backrower like say a Kaino or Messam. Thomson plays a bit looser, he's quick for a forward, good over the ball, good in the lineout, fantastic at Super rugby level.

B

Bobby Sands

Thomson isn't a large bodied backrower like say a Kaino or Messam. Thomson plays a bit looser, he's quick for a forward, good over the ball, good in the lineout, fantastic at Super rugby level.

Maybe not, but he would serve a VERY useful role if his signature does come to fruition.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Adam Thompson would be great but this is the internet and someone needs to take HJ's bait from earlier and speculate wildly possibly even citing questionable references.
Ok I'll do it.

Jerry Collins would be brilliant. I googled him and he's only 33, not 76 as I had first assumed.
As good as the All Blacks are, he is about the only one that when he was named to play us my reaction would be, "Fucking great. What the hell are we supposed to about that!?"
We have been lacking guys that get across the gain line and Jerry will do it every time.
I also checked Wikipedia and it says that there are rumours that he will be playing pro-Rugby again in 2015 after taking 2014 off. I can read between the lines. Jer-ry! Jer-ry! Jer-ry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Former NZ Rugby International. Currently Playing in Japan. Loose Forward.

Jerry Collins?

hqdefault.jpg

He would be a popular signing with some female supporters.
43f99c0ad9b7_sf_1.jpg

Mr Jarse, is that lady a member of your family? I know your family extends far and wide and a little speculation tells me that there may be genetic factors in common with your good self.

CruzinSanta

Frank Row (1)
Hi All - Been a while since I have taken a regular interest in rugby and reds rugby in particular. Not that I am over joyed with the Reds coaching at the moment.

Looking forward to see who else is filling the ranks next year!

I have been pretty impressed with Cordingly's recruitment so far and I can see a better balance of the team although it will still be at least another 2 years before the window opens again.

Hopefully by then the head coach is one that has a bit more creativity than Graham. I swear that this years Reds patterns of play were exactly the same as the Force.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whilst the former All Black backrower playing in Japan sounds like it should be Adam Thomson, it could also be:

Mose Tuiali'i, the 33 year old backrower playing for Yamaha or the 35 year old Rodney So'oialo playing for Honda.

Red-L

Frank Nicholson (4)
Mose Tuiali'i would defiantly solve the size problem we are missing but you have to wonder how good a 33 yr old 115+ kg player would go around a super rugby field. I hope its Jerry Collins to bring on as a super sub in the final 20 minutes of games just to smash some people.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Thomson was always an incredibly influential player at Super Rugby level. Whilst he never translated that to test rugby he basically carried the Highlanders in 2011 and 2012.

He's a bit of a notta but that seems to be a great thing at Super Rugby level.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
So if it is Thomson where does that leave the rest of the backrow? He would surely be in the starting pack with Browning, Gill & Schatz rounding out the backrow 23. This leaves the Japanese bloke, Robinson and Quirk doing lots of time in the B team. Might have been best if one of them was let go to chase an established prop.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Despite Shatz recently being picked for the Wobs I'd say the balance lies in a backrow of Gill, Browning and Thomson with Shatz on the bench.

Lets not forget that Thomson will be 33 by the time S15 kicks off next year. I haven't kept up with this injury history or playing minutes in Japan but you'd think he won't be playing full games each week either. Maybe even a rotation of starting players similar to what was done at the back end of Samo's tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.