• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

And possibly one that better mimics the conditioning requirements of a game than 20 minutes of running at a steady, continuous pace.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
5km runs are great training, for 5km runs.

so, the Reds' training should consist only of playing rugby?
sounds great.
we Tah supporters thoroughly approve.

you think that all the running the Tahs did in training hurt them badly this year?
look at the scoreboard, Mate .... and then give Mr Graham a call.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Does whether or not extensive road running is appropriate for a 135kg+ frame really need to be a NSW vs QLD thing? It's a pretty valid point, the high impact would be very unkind to his knees.

Believe it or not I'm sure he will be doing some running as part of his training program, so don't worry too much.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Chieka's "get comfortable in being uncomfortable" was the catch cry of the tah pre-season and I dare say the key component to their success.

Thor will be worked hard no doubt. But as I've said elsewhere. Give me a talented 135kg prop you can get fit over a talented 95kg prop you need to get big any day.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
can not agree more, Mate.

may i add that i have heard little whispers from QLander mates that the Reds players got too comfortable over the course of 2012 and 2013 and continued to luxurious in 2014.
can you confirm or refute those whispers?

T

Train Without a Station

so, the Reds' training should consist only of playing rugby?
sounds great.
we Tah supporters thoroughly approve.

you think that all the running the Tahs did in training hurt them badly this year?
look at the scoreboard, Mate .. and then give Mr Graham a call.

I'm not going to even bother going in to your lack of understanding of sports science and strength and conditioning.

All I will say is that rugby does not require one to run constantly at a steady pace about 50% of your max effort, so that training will offer no benefit for rugby conditioning.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not going to even bother going in to your lack of understanding of sports science and strength and conditioning.

All I will say is that rugby does not require one to run constantly at a steady pace about 50% of your max effort, so that training will offer no benefit for rugby conditioning.

neither is rugby a weightlifting contest.

can you show me the evidence that the Waratahs' conditioning for this year's Soup was inferior to that of any of the other Australian teams?
we are all well aware that the Waratahs' conditioning was re-oriented over the last two years, with less emphasis on creating gym monkeys and more on producing rugby players.
Dave Dennis said just that in a podcast on this site.
are you doubting Dennis' word?

i bow to your knowledge of superior rugby conditioning programs among the other Australian Soup teams.
i congratulate those four teams for all outscoring the Waratahs in the last 20 minutes of the eight conference games they played against them.

T

Train Without a Station

Mate the fact that you seem to think training either consists of long runs or lifting weights proves my point.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Mate the fact that you seem to think training either consists of long runs or lifting weights proves my point.

how would you know what i think?
where did i say that training consists of "long runs or lifting weights"?

please refer to the classic quote from Bob Dwyer when told that Sam Scott-Young had said that Dwyer couldn't coach.
it's a real hoot.

T

Train Without a Station

we are all well aware that the Waratahs' conditioning was re-oriented over the last two years, with less emphasis on creating gym monkeys and more on producing rugby players.
Dave Dennis said just that in a podcast on this site.
are you doubting Dennis' word?[\quote]

That's exactly what you said.

You can stick to your Rocky IV training regime with "hearts on fire" blasting in the background, whilst the rest of us will stick to training in 2014.

The whole conversation came about from your recommendation that a player be putting on long distance road runs, none of which is what the Waratahs did in 2014. They did hill sprints yes, but that's not long distance road runs.

Rugby is an interval game and interval condition is required. That means maximum effort bursts followed by short rests.

Also Cheika used hill sprints as more of a mental training technique than a purely conditioning motivated technique.

Now that's great that the 120kg Wycliff Palu and Dave Dennis who had only a few years ago been through an intensive 10+kg bulking effort were able to focus less on gym and more on aerobic fitness.

As we at the Reds have different players with smaller bodies like Schatz and Quirk who all had perfectly fine work rate but lacked impact in the collision, I'm not sure how what worked at the Waratahs is completely relevant to the Reds.

That's great it worked for that particular group. If there was one single right way, why wouldn't every team just do the same thing?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
the whole conversation came about because you didn't read and absorb what i wrote.

if you want bullshit under my name that you can criticize, then please just ask me and i will write some real bullshit of higher quality that you can criticize to your heart's content.
please don't invent my opinions or knowledge.
i am quite capable of forming my own.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
a simple question.
do you think the Tahs' performances in the last quarters of their games in 2014 (vastly superior to iother Australian teams) were due primarily to conditioning that was superior to others' or was it just some voodoo thing?

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
a simple question.
do you think the Tahs' performances in the last quarters of their games in 2014 (vastly superior to iother Australian teams) were due primarily to conditioning that was superior to others' or was it just some voodoo thing?

To be honest if you want the real reason the Tah's won the S15 title then look at the things a team needs and you will see the Tah's had those things. A great coach, Good players and getting through a season without sustaining a lot of injuries.

B

Bobby Sands

To be honest if you want the real reason the Tah's won the S15 title then look at the things a team needs and you will see the Tah's had those things. A great coach, Good players and getting through a season without sustaining a lot of injuries.

The side that has Israel on it, generally wins most skirmishes too. Even the non-physical ones.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
What absolute joke your all wrong.. You build the fitness for the game plan you play. Chekia plays a run at all cost effective gameplan.. Which requires a very high fitness while giving up scrum strength etc.. Jake plays a kick chase smash the breakdown game plan where not as fit but strength in set piece means more... It annoys the fuck out of me people say the Wallabies should run at all costs.. We as a team ain't fit enough to try and hold it for the whole game.. Hate to say it only the Tahs can..Brumbies fell short the last 20 mintues of most games.

Link plays a bit more pragmatic so there are bonuses for a mixed game plan.. Probably the best fit for Oz rugbys different team landscape.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
can not agree more, Mate.

may i add that i have heard little whispers from QLander mates that the Reds players got too comfortable over the course of 2012 and 2013 and continued to luxurious in 2014.
can you confirm or refute those whispers?

IMO the differences in teams from year to year are generally quite subtle, particularly when essentially the same playing group is involved.

Culture plays in an incredibly important part. If your "big" players are not performing to expectations (from the other players' perspectives), then sometimes the lesser players just don't seem to put in that extra 5%.

At this level it is a game of percetages, in all types of KPI's inclusive of "culture"

The Tahs got it together in 2014 after building in 2013.

Hopefully the Reds get it all together in 2015.

I remain fiercely loyal to the cause!

Status
Not open for further replies.