• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Kid has talent, but has not done it every week for the Rebels.

What did you want, him to play in the scrums as well? If anything he is guilty of trying to take on too much at the Rebels.

I can understand the logic for letting him go even though I don't agree with it, but it has nothing to do with his individual performance. The guy is one of the best backs in rugby. Period. But hey, what would I know, I think Hansen is mental for not finding a way by hook or by crook to ensure Ranger stayed on. Good news for us though, the guy is a freak.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I think that when considering JOC (James O'Connor) you have to factor in his impact on the teams attitude. He is a better than average player, but I think his presence off the field will make the team worse as a whole.

I don't think James's attitude would have an effect on the Reds whatsoever, a couple of years ago, definitely. But now, you've got a lot of guys in their mid 20's, both the Wallabies Captain and Vice Captain and a maturing Quade. I can't see Horwill or Will putting up with any crap that James may bring and Horwill seems like a guy who will pull people aside.

I'm happy to give Quade the opportunity to show us that he's really maturing into a well rounded adult. He's been saying the right things and acting in the right way. I think he deserves the chance to pass on some influence onto James as he's been in the same situation. All the Reds have to do is put a good behavior clause into James's contract and allow Carmichael to weave his negotiation magic.

While Woody may not be the hardarse that Link is, there's plenty of men in that Reds team who do have their heads screwed on right and I think can help guide James in the right direction. I hate for him to become the next Cippers, flying over to a foreign country and running riot in their pubs.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I would really like for the reds to look at some of Argentinians during the rugby championship as possible signings.

I have always had a soft spot for the Pumas and always cheer for them as my second team during the RWC. They have some very handy players, free agents currently in the squad who i think would be perfect for the Reds needs.

Manuel Montero could fill the void left by Digby as a crash and bash winger. He is 21 and was really impressive in Argentina's 2012 JWC win over Australia for his Defence and Attack. He has by all reports been a standout as well for the Pampas XV in the Vodacom Cup

Also Santiago Fernandez is currentyl available and is a possible replacement for Jono Lance as the solid utility the reds need. He has a bit more pace than Lance and was impressive at the 2011 RWC.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I read that bewteen the lines also. I imagine that he likely had a fairly frank chat with Link about where he stood in the pecking order for the Wallabies (injuries notwithstanding) and that may have helped him decide now was a good time.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, Ant was always well down the list for either 12 or 13. Third at best at 13 (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kuridrani), and there's also the raw CFS who could challenge at 13 for third. Second at best for 12 (Lealiifano), but probably lower in reality with JOC (James O'Connor), To'omua, even Harris and Cooper that could be considered at 12 and possibly before Ant. Particularly while Ant is playing injured.

All in all, I think it's a good choice to get the shoulder done now and be ready to challenge for that starting Reds spot next season. It costs a potential but very unlikely Wallaby spot, but gains challenging for a starting Reds spot next year. If Ant wasn't ready to go, he could be forced out of the midfield if any combination of Taps, Harris and CFS is firing.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
So over the last 2 weeks the reds have announced 3 signings in Samu Kerevi(GPS), Chris Kuridrani(GPS) and JJ Taulagi (Uni) I'd imagine they are all EPS contracts

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ant finger out for a year. So maybe late 2014 if a good recovery

null_zps1b112b68.png

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that is just reducing words for a twitter post.

I think they just mean the rest of this year. Everything else has referred to being out for six months.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unless gel is right, it wasn't until they cut him open and got into the shoulder to find it worse then expected.
Know soon enough as they will twitter what's going on

T

TOCC

It's only 6 months(rest of the year), which for a professional athlete is a considerably long rehabilitation.. Expecting to be back for start of super rugby 2014

T

TOCC

Think Reds forwards are fine - but some pentration needed in or by the backs.

I disagree, the penetration is lacking in the forwards.. The backs weren't awesome, but for he most part the back lines lack of penetration was because of a poor attacking base presented by the forward pack...

Pick and drives may chew up meters, and the reds did this well in most parts... But they rarely penetrated the line and sucked in defenders..

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So over the last 2 weeks the reds have announced 3 signings in Samu Kerevi(GPS), Chris Kuridrani(GPS) and JJ Taulagi (Uni) I'd imagine they are all EPS contracts
Where did you read about JJ?

The kid has got talent, but again, and I'm sure thierry dusautoir will agree, there are probably some more deserving backs out in club land (Placid, Routledge).

That being said, JJ has a lot of potential and probably would have made the U20's team if he wasn't injured.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I disagree, the penetration is lacking in the forwards.. The backs weren't awesome, but for he most part the back lines lack of penetration was because of a poor attacking base presented by the forward pack.

Pick and drives may chew up meters, and the reds did this well in most parts. But they rarely penetrated the line and sucked in defenders..

Correct, think the difference in Quirk and Schatz to Higginbotham and Samo. The Reds defence has improved but their attack has gone downhill. Need some players that ran out wide instead of tight (#1 inn pick & drives).

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
It's only 6 months(rest of the year), which for a professional athlete is a considerably long rehabilitation.. Expecting to be back for start of super rugby 2014

If its six months it probably would have been an open reconstruction rather than keyhole. Suggests that hes had it done before and theyve given up on the keyhole approach and need to get in there and try and patch it all together.

Like McCabe, their style of play is just asking for shoulder issues. Body on the line stuff, thats for sure.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I am a big advocate for routledge, he is a player who can cover a multitude of positions for the reds and would be an excellent lance replacement.

I really find the signing of Taulagi interesting. No doubt a solid player but hardly the type of player the reds are lacking in. JJ is a player whose main asset i would dare say is his finesse.

Unless he is to be the Reds new fullback, i am unconvinced of his use to us in all honesty. I think this signing indicates as well that CFS is most likely going to be a winger in the during RG's reign.

Unless they plan to convert Kerevi or Kuridrani to wing, which makes all these signings even more confusing.

Someone needs to sit Richard down and you have plethora of quality ingredients doesn't mean you will have a tasty combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.