• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
JOC (James O'Connor) plays right, Cummins plays left, Tomane plays left, CFS I think played left in school but has played right for the Reds, Speight plays right..I think?

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
JOC (James O'Connor) plays right, Cummins plays left, Tomane plays left, CFS I think played left in school but has played right for the Reds, Speight plays right..I think?

That is what they are playing at the moment but is that just because the other winger has the same preference?

For example Davies has played both left and right. Against Samoa he was on the left but Right on Friday night because Digby has a noted preference for Left wing, and JOC (James O'Connor) was right wing with Digby Left. I would say your right about Cummins being a left winger as he would obviously get first choice at the Force. What is Shipperley's fav side?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Suppose you'd have to tweet and ask them! Generally it just ends up being the side they played the most on as a kid. Being right/left side dominant is obviously a factor as well.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled these coming weeks. One dead giveaway is some players will instinctually tuck the ball on the wrong side and have to readjust manually.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
That is what they are playing at the moment but is that just because the other winger has the same preference?

For example Davies has played both left and right. Against Samoa he was on the left but Right on Friday night because Digby has a noted preference for Left wing, and JOC (James O'Connor) was right wing with Digby Left. I would say your right about Cummins being a left winger as he would obviously get first choice at the Force. What is Shipperley's fav side?

Shipperly is a right winger.

I reckon JOC (James O'Connor) is just as good on the left as he is on the right. He carries in two hands and can step off both feet, and he has scored many tries out wide on the left over his career.

He would be a top signing, and we have the money for it.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) went to the Rebels to play 10. I doubt he would move somewhere with even stronger competition for that position.
JOC (James O'Connor) went to the Rebels because the Force withdrew their offer and Rebels gave him a shit ton of money. I highly dount he will go to the Reds with RG as coach next year.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Jeez : bloke is extremely talented - no doubt - IMO Team JOC (James O'Connor) is just that.

Reds seem to have built a nice team a a great culture albeit with some big personalities (like QC (Quade Cooper), Genia, Horwill and Digby). I think those personalities have still worked very well within the team, built team culture and not ostracized other senior or junior members of the squad.

If Team JOC (James O'Connor) came to Ballymore more than a few noses would be put out of joint and is he worth the Reds spending $700-$800,000.

I think not.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Jeez : bloke is extremely talented - no doubt - IMO Team JOC (James O'Connor) is just that.

Reds seem to have built a nice team a a great culture albeit with some big personalities (like QC (Quade Cooper), Genia, Horwill and Digby). I think those personalities have still worked very well within the team, built team culture and not ostracized other senior or junior members of the squad.

If Team JOC (James O'Connor) came to Ballymore more than a few noses would be put out of joint and is he worth the Reds spending $700-$800,000.

I think not.

Hes not the messiah, hes a very naughty boy!

I would love someone with JOC (James O'Connor)'s skills at the Reds, but I dont want him.

The whole "looking after my brand" comments really did it for me. I think his lack of effort to get to a Wallabies launch because he was hungover/drunk shows his attitude (and he is on the leadership committee!!), and for those who say he has grown a lot since then, remember he also has had indiscressions with QC (Quade Cooper) previously with food fights.

Will these two get together and misbehave again?

I think he is a shining example of the reason teams have a "no dickheads" policy. The reds would love his skills, but dont need the baggage.

That all being said, I trust the team managment to do what is right for the team, JOC (James O'Connor) may be reformed and a great guy, I am just judging on what I have seen and I did not even have to resort to pointing out his stupid haircuts.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

I think not.

The Broncos tried to go down this route - trusting their team culture to keep them going, and whilst they have not been a total failure, they now lack that knock out punch because they simply don't have the players.

Firstly, JOC (James O'Connor) wouldn't cost the reds 700-800 thousand, it would be more like 300,000 with the ARU and 3rd party payments covering the rest. Considering Digby would have been on close to this, and the replacements for lance and Morahan will probably be on rookie contracts, the money makes sense.

Secondly, You have to keep rejuvenating the squad to keep the success rolling. At times you can do this by bringing in young guys like Gill, Shipperly, Shactz etc. but off the top of my head I could only name a few young backs (Placid, Felsman, Parker and Tuilagi) coming through club rugby and academy at the moment who could maybe make the step up in order to cover the loss of Ioane, Lance and Morahan. And even then it would take those guys a couple of seasons before they get to super rugby 'level'.

To cover the loss Ioane, Lance and Morahan the reds need to bring in at least one established outside back, and there are not too many of them running around Australia at the moment who are off contract, at the right age, and of the quality required.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Looking at the players leaving next year and their (possible) replacements from the QLD comp:

Samo - Browning
Jono Owen - (Phil Kite), (Paraka), (Kevin Davis), (Sam Denny)
Dave McDulling - Enever, O'Donohue
Morahan -
Lance - (Placid), (Tuilagi)
Ioane - (Felsman), (Parker), (
Danny Routledge)

something

Jim Clark (26)
We do need an outside back. Maybe even 2. I'd like to sign up the Honey Badger. Maybe O'Conner but i dont know whether the price would be worth the reward. JO'C probably wouldnt come. We could potentially get Beale pretty cheap if we wanted him but i dont know again whether the risk is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.