• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Wish Cooper would fuck off already, take the money so the Reds can settle into the end of the season with a number 10 and know where there heading for next year.

Sign or don't sign I don't really care anymore,

Bret Harris in the Australian thinks you'll get your wish this weekend. Though it's more likely that any announcement would be strategic (ie in the bargaining process) rather than final.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Bret Harris in the Australian thinks you'll get your wish this weekend. Though it's more likely that any announcement would be strategic (ie in the bargaining process) rather than final.

In the best traditions of our Aus rugby media's intellectual laziness, Harris is rapidly assembling his main trade - or a lot of it - around little else than blatantly obvious player agents' selective, manipulative leaking and negotiation posturing. And half his stories these days are full of internal contradictions with headlines declaring some dramatic new 'certain' outcome or player event, only for the body text way down below to say something like 'this may yet not happen'. High quality input....and getting increasingly tiresome.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I wouldn't say he was an excellent 15, purely based on the fact that he had a pop-gun boot... Everything else though, and especially his one-on-one defense was first rate.
I think where Hynes is better than the current crop is the way he reads the game from the back three. We have a real problem with our back three in the way they set themselves in defence and also in attack. Hynes positional effort was A class material. I think if he could manage to get his Knee (not knees) right he will be a big asset for the Reds in 2013 they should definately look at signing him for next year. I heard he was back training with the team again a few weeks ago. It will be interesting to see if he is with the team this weekend in the players box.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Reckon the real question is how many top squad players are going to be "sacrificed" to keep the $$$$$ for the re-signing of Quade.

Higgers may be one. Thinks that story in "The Australian" has legs
Saaia may be on outer but Ant F. a must to keep. Will they separate????
They say the Force are interested in Hanson - why would he go from a run-on (and now probably No. 1) at the Reds to compete with Charles?

Should't be chasing wingers and ones with attitude - still believe in repaying loyalty to the code

Both Faingaas have already signed so that stories legs have been lopped at the knees! and I thought Higgers had to, Or is that not a done deal yet?

Oh, and Bret Harris is a muppet of a reporter!

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)

Quade will stay, for love not money (although if he gets paid like sanchez it's still good bank). He has all his family around him here as well as a good bunch of mates at the Reds. I got sucked into following his tweets and he spends a lot of his time when not extolling the virtues of peanut butter or Fifa 2012 talking about family and friends.

The reds will have the money to keep the team together.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
[quote="Oh, and Bret Harris is a muppet of a reporter![/quote]

Was it Barbar in the press box with him overhearing his really loud phone calls? Tahs are on tonight so maybe more loud phone calls??

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
As much as I love Quade, there is no way he is staying, he is clearly a money motivated player. It is a big loss but if it means retaining Higginbotham, Tapuai and Shipperely, it might be a necessary loss.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
The only way I see Quade staying for love is if Suncorp is renamed Stade de Quade, the team is renamed the Queenslands Coopers and Ewen McKenzie changes his name to the Quadester.

Renaming Suncorp to Stade de Quade is probably a bridge too far cause hey play Loig and Football there.

I will defend Quade though. The few times I have spoken with him he seems a genuine bloke. He went out of his way to share a joke with my star struck son to put him at ease. Showed he cared how my son perceived him.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Agree with redstragic the few words I have had with him have not led to any indication he isn't genuine or money motivated. In fact what would lead you to think other wise?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
His manager would lead me to that thought, and the 1yr deals.

Don't get me wrong I love Quade, hisrelations with fans is up there with the Fainga'a's, he is a great bloke who has often been misunderstood.

But I assume he'd be looking out for no.1 hence why I'm pessimistic about him staying.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think you pick a manager to do the things you can't. So the manager could be a good thing. How many 1 year deals has he signed and how many clubs has he been with? Not saying he won't go just suggesting the logic is flawed.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Maybe get a 'dont go Quade' chant going on sunday arvo and see if we can't move him to stay.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
His manager would lead me to that thought, and the 1yr deals.

Don't get me wrong I love Quade, hisrelations with fans is up there with the Fainga'a's, he is a great bloke who has often been misunderstood.

But I assume he'd be looking out for no.1 hence why I'm pessimistic about him staying.
I think the one year deal idea of backing your skills to earn more has come back to bite him. He is now realising that he is mortal and a knee injury away from retirement. I think he will look long term in future contracts

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
The only way I see Quade staying for love is if Suncorp is renamed Stade de Quade, the team is renamed the Queenslands Coopers and Ewen McKenzie changes his name to the Quadester.

Bugger the rename, just give Quade a statute alongside Wally or Lockyer at Suncorp. If its enough to keep him, then great. If not, at least we pissed off a shitload of leaguies!

something

Jim Clark (26)
As much as I love Quade, there is no way he is staying, he is clearly a money motivated player.

didnt go to the nrl when he had big bucks thrown at him then. i reckon/hope, a fair few of these players will stay to try and build a legacy. if we kept genia, quade, kev, higgers, finger boys, diggers etc etc whilst grooming some of the younger boys like UJ, toua, sautia, lucas we will have a good team for atleast the next 5 or so years. i think the players wouldnt mind like a little less per year to stay with their mates. if i was in that situation, thats what i'd want to do

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
RH, If there is no salary cap and the franchise overspends and miss manages to the point that they need a bailout from the ARU, then the ARU are not doing their job.
What controls / measures / actions should the ARU seek to implement over the franchises to create a check and balance against poor management / coaching / playing / marketing?
Clearly they cannot simply scrap the salary cap. What alternatives actions are there available to the ARU?

I won't bore you chasmac with my many posts on this core subject, but essentially I have argued that a system of linked franchises that is principally governed by the ARU in terms of just one element of its costs - namely player costs in this case - but where the actual comprehensive quality of each franchise's management is not controlled or governed at all - is extraordinarily unbalanced and will as day follows night lead to, best case, mediocrity of systemic outcomes, or, worst case, lead to bankruptcies and regular crisis bail-outs.

For example, if a management of an RU must be 'protected' from, as you say, bankruptcy risk via a single central cost control and that that local management is simply unable to control that cost line prudently by themselves, then what type of local management competency do you have in first place that is so poor at controlling their total business?

Essentially, what I argue is that _the_ critical task of any franchise owner is to ensure that its principal franchisees are all well led and managed in terms of total capability, that is, the board and CEO/top management are proven competent to build and sustain a financially and community viable business in their franchise area. Overall KPIs and balanced performance goals should be set that define such performance, such as: annual revenue growth and profitability; average rank placings within the S15, expansion of Premier Grade, total net player registrations, code market share, local rate of elite player development, etc. These should be holistically managed by, say, formal central assessments every 2 years. The central body - the ARU - should not be, nor need to be, nanny-like micro-managing single cost parameters within a franchise IF the general management of that franchise is assessed as properly competent and will meet or has met the broad quality-affirming KPIs I mention above (or similar ones). If the core KPIs are not being met over a fair time period, then the entire board and management of that franchise must be able to be immediately replaced by the central 'franchise owner' - and the threat of this change must be real and enforced where required.

All successful franchised operations run on this basis - none that I have ever seen are run on the principle 'we'll control what you spend on one or two cost parameters, but we really don't care if you stuff everything else up, lose market share and have a generally poor business that never achieves very much'. And what investors would ever back an enterprise run on such a ridiculous and unbalanced premise? But this is precisely how, in effect, Australian rugby conducts itself. And look at the actual quality of outcomes thus achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.