• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I realise that this is the 2013 thread, and this is about this season, but will the return of Quade and the Brumbies loss of Lealiifano give us a shot of getting to the top?

We can still make the top of the table, but I think we must beat the Crusaders to have a chance of this

T

TOCC

Dane Gagai(broncos winger) and Jeremy Tilse are apparently Reds targets for 2013

Source: Random news articles

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What position did Gagai play at High School? Paper also says the Force might come after him. Reds don't really have a massive need for more outside backs at the moment.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I think the Force would be a better option for Gagai. As T12 said he played 12 or 13 for BBC.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
But Scotty these RU's problems had nothing to do with wildly uplifted player salaries; rather it was poor team performance and/or generally poor franchise management overall that got them into near bankruptcies.

Which brings me back to my central argument: what is crucial is not salary capping, or other forms of micro management that interferes with the franchises, but to create a 'macro' system where the crucial driver/enforcement over time is the calibre of the business and coaching management of each and every franchise. Manifestly, that is not what exists in Australian rugby today, far from it.

And the prime financial risks in Aus rugby today come from the poor accretion of external income as the teams are generally ordinary as is the management oversighting them, it's not the fault of player costs.

Just look at the crowd growth at the 2012 Chiefs home ground now they're doing so well after a total coaching and management rebuild. The same will happen in Canberra if the Brums keep it up. It's all about the management and coaching calibre, little else has anything like as much significance.

RH, If there is no salary cap and the franchise overspends and miss manages to the point that they need a bailout from the ARU, then the ARU are not doing their job.
What controls / measures / actions should the ARU seek to implement over the franchises to create a check and balance against poor management / coaching / playing / marketing?
Clearly they cannot simply scrap the salary cap. What alternatives actions are there available to the ARU?

T

TOCC

Need to replace Peter Hynes as well.. Might be possible that we are going to lose Mike Harris

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I don't think we need anymore wing/fullbacks. Tilse would prove a better option over Shepherdson. An 10/12 would be a position to look at if Harris leaves, although Jono Lance is more suited to those positions then fullback.

T

tranquility

You don't turn over talent like Gagai. He could best the best of the lot, I would be doing everything possible to get him.

On a side note, Kafe said on the RugbyClub tonight that Ant is one of the best defensive centers he has ever seen. It really brought home to me how crucial he is for us this season, and moving forward. Never leave Fainga'a's, we love you.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Reds need to remember that Gagai lost his job due to discipline issues, I would not touch him. I dont want to make this a League v Union thing but if a League team which has a hold on a city like the Broncos with an ability to hide stories from the paper are getting rid of him then it is safe to say there are big issues at play here

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
And once Harris' goal kicking moves right back to the pack or worse - as sadly it seems to be doing - his talent and relative worth at 12 to me looks like a ranking of 6.5/7 out of 10. Certainly not a 9/10, and we need to be aiming for high skill ranking players and depth in every back position.

T

TOCC

yes well lets not speculate too much about the actual reasons for been released from the Broncos..

Out of all the NRL teams, the Broncos arguably maintain the highest level of PR conciousness, they seem to keep the players on a comparitively tight rope compared to the sydney clubs.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wish Cooper would fuck off already, take the money so the Reds can settle into the end of the season with a number 10 and know where there heading for next year.

Sign or don't sign I don't really care anymore,

W

What2040

Reckon the real question is how many top squad players are going to be "sacrificed" to keep the $$$$$ for the re-signing of Quade.

Higgers may be one. Thinks that story in "The Australian" has legs
Saaia may be on outer but Ant F. a must to keep. Will they separate????
They say the Force are interested in Hanson - why would he go from a run-on (and now probably No. 1) at the Reds to compete with Charles?

Should't be chasing wingers and ones with attitude - still believe in repaying loyalty to the code

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
As much as i want QC (Quade Cooper) to stay i'd be very disappointed if it cost us 2 or 3 others. Higgers, Hanson and Taps are must signs for me.

If anyone has to be let go to keep him i would go with Davies and Harris. Not so worried about the place kicking as Harris' early success appears not to be the norm. Centre cover is a concern though if Harris goes. Would only leave Lance, with Toua and CFS who are injury prone or a year or 2 away from being ready.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
yes well lets not speculate too much about the actual reasons for been released from the Broncos..

Out of all the NRL teams, the Broncos arguably maintain the highest level of PR conciousness, they seem to keep the places on a comparitively tight rope compared to the sydney clubs.
It helps when the only paper in town is owned by the same people as the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.