• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels Vs Stormers, Saturday July 2nd @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
Fark. I have not seen our scrum so convincingly dished up since... well ever. Weeks comming on seems to have helped but we are still on the backdoor. Now we need to fix the line-out.

Better start running them around a bit.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Kearns is the biggest whinger ever. Reid deservedly penalised for taking out the man without the ball, clear hard contact and he says he (the stormers player) dived?
Shut up. Please only ever analyse scrums again (something he's good at IMO)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So one last opportunity remaining this season for the Rebels to score a win against a higher placed team. Going to be a tough ask against the Saders at their fortress next week.

D

daz

Total disintegration of our set piece tonight. Scrums awful, line outs atrocious. Chibba had his worst game in any jersey, although a lack of jumpers/callers didn't help.

For a visiting team to put 57 fucking points on us in our backyard is simply unacceptable.

The boys have followed the typical Rebels script; thinking of holidays and relocations too early, and checked out with 3 weeks to go in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
At 31-all I was relatively happy particularly given our scrum and lineout issues. Scott Fuglistaller was good when he came turning over a number of balls at the breakdown but ultimately he cost us by collapsing the maul an obvious yellow card.

We would have been better off going 5 or 7 down with 15 on 15 instead of 14 on 15. Especially when our bench rotations were effected by the injuries.

With Jones, Timani, Placid, Naivalu etc all going down we are running out of troops at a rate of knots. Hopefully Mike comes back next week.

I thought Asquith showed a bit with a couple of his runs.

A disappointing game for the departing players Tamati and Mike didn't make it to start line, Jones injured and Fuglistaller yellow carded.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I really think some posters are being too harsh on the team. The game was lost in the player selections.

Timani is not a lock, surely should be playing No 8. Three small back rowers in the side and another on the bench led to the demolition in the second half. The first lesson to be learnt by TT is that you need two lineout jumpers in the second row , preferably another in the back row and certainly another on the bench. And they should also be able to hold their own at scrum time. To have a scrum in which half the players are around 100kg is just asking for trouble.

And it's no good saying that injuries forced his hand. Just like Cheika not having a stand by plan for Skelton in the third test, TT should have understood the risk he was taking and had another piece of tall timber as a contingency on the bench (if not starting) instead of the fourth short arse.

Rebels were very competitive up to the point where they were reduced to one lock only, and had been playing an exciting, adventurous brand of rugby.

D

daz

Don't disagree with that, and the Rebels did well in attack for 50 minutes. Getting blown away in the last 30, to ship that many points though, was a sign they just stopped dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Geez, FFS, they DID try, otherwise it would have been 57-0. And how many teams have two tall locks on the bench, just in case. There is always a risk in choosing the team and we are all experts (as a television industry employee I make a great Rugby selector!). Yes, I know I can be overly forgiving, but in this case I believe it wasn't from a lack of caring.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Teams need a couple of legitimate jumpers on the bench, usually one lock and a tall back rower. That is especially the case if the starting lineup contains a player like Timani or Skelton. The Rebs last night really only started with Jones and then with injuries finished with Retallick by himself. That is poor risk management by the coaching staff.

EDIT : And not only in respect of the lineout, but the scrum was a shambles with McMahon, Reid, Fainga'a and Fugistaller all on at the same time.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The question is, at the moment who have we got left that isn't injured? I'm concerned we won't have enough players to finish the season!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Always a problem of course, but I will be totally surprised if he goes with a similar team makeup in the last two games. Might have to scour the local comp for a halfway decent lock or two.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Rebels front row put their boots on backwards - shit I felt sorry for them

Chibba I think threw 5 or 6 consecutive lineouts that were disgraceful. Worse game I have seen him play ever.

With the set piece debacle the Rebels should have lost by 60 (but they stuck in there, to their credit)

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Rebels front row put their boots on backwards - shit I felt sorry for them

Chibba I think threw 5 or 6 consecutive lineouts that were disgraceful. Worse game I have seen him play ever.

With the set piece debacle the Rebels should have lost by 60 (but they stuck in there, to their credit)
While I agree Chibba had a shocker, for much of the game he was forced to throw to some shorties! Can't have helped.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was surprised that Hanson didn't throw more balls to 2 when they were struggling with lineout options.

Their best matchup was at the front and that is the easiest place to win with a short jumper except they kept going longer and getting picked off by Etzebeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.