• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Highlanders Rnd 6 Super Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
That tackles made stat they put up towards the end was telling, rebels had made 2.5 times as many tackles as the highlanders.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Jesus, what happened to the Rebels in the second half? I'll tell you what....

Missed tackles, inefficiency at the breakdown, non communication in defence, cold weather, God knows what else.

The Rebels had territory in the first half. They went for points on offer. Admirable. In fact, I would advocate for points whenever and wherever you can get them. However, the penalties the Rebels received that landed their points directly resulted from their inability to work the ball. They were smashed in the tackle, and ineffectual at the breakdown.

Time and time again the clan would smash them off their own ball, or disrupt it in a fashion that the next phase would result in a negative gain. Where were the Rebels heads? Surely they would have known that this style of play from the clan was the norm.

The clan persisted with the inside pass. It caught Johansson off guard numerous times and created gaps in the middle of the park. Easy metres. The Rebels were then on the back foot. You can't win a game of rugby when you are getting smashed at the breakdown and the opposition cuts you up the guts at will.

In my opinion the Rebels were lucky to be close on the scoreboard at halftime. Their defence was amateur. In the later stages of the game, no, actually all throughout the game, the clan also ran riot down Vuna's wing. And to great effect.

If I was Muggleton I would be thoroughly pissed off at the defensive effort tonight. Also, available forward who does not support a man going into contact should be benched. How many times tonight did the Rebels have one man running the ball up, and no one up his ass. Surefire way of turning the ball over against the clan.

Anyone would think that the Rebels had travelled to Invercargill via Johannesburg and Buenos Aires.

Full credit to the clan though. They played with precision and made the Rebels pay.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I dont think Vuna and Lojo are up to the standard really, I think they will get dropped once cips and inman are fit.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair, I think most commentators have considered Huxley a good footballer......up to this year, and these fellas probably haven't seen much of him this year.

He hasn't been good since his tumour unfortunately, but as commentators I expect these guys to watch every single game.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
He hasn't been good since his tumour unfortunately, but as commentators I expect these guys to watch every single game.
Lol you're hopeful Gwerty, mind you don't know if commentator need to watch games they not commentating on, so we may agree to disagree on that, Marto, Kearnsie etc have been talking up Huxley all the time, so I think other commentators just get their opinion.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
We must of packed the turnstiles in the carry on luggage, FFS.

I love all the soft defending, then suddenly, Johansson and subsequently Vuna, pull out these almighty tip tackles as if to impose themselves on the game. Only to end up being carded (Vuna lucky not to) and in the stands for 2-5 weeks. Considering our injuries, f**king stupid.

As I predicted, stuff all creativity without another playmaker in Cipriani with JOC (James O'Connor). Sure Beale at 1st receiver helped at times, but we are screwed next year.

The forwards were solid at times, Delve more so, as always. Backs are well and truly letting us down.

Might bring some rockets to the stadium next week...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Now, obviously the Rebels were dominated but as per usual I wasn't happy with many of the penalties the Clan get.

Often they just put numbers into the counter-ruck and win a penalty purely because the ball is not coming out of there and they have the numbers.

This silly, when the ball is trapped they should get a scrum feed at best.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
First half Rebels tactics were good, but they needed to change the game in second half, instead the Rebs tried to maintain the rage and tackled themselves out of the game. IMO Highlanders were vulnerable to reversing the tactics in the second half; play for touch, move them round, open them up.

We missed Kingi; Phipps had moments of urgency but they were few. The tip tackles were... dumb.

Aah well, highlanders played well, particularly Poki, Thomson, and Ben Smith.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The inconsistency of carding and non-carding is pissing me off.

Johansson should have been penalised and that's it.

But .... when will players learn that lifting both legs of an opponent is going to get penalised and more importantly maybe inflict serious injury on an opponent? Players should be told to lift only one knee and drive the guy back, not down, at first. If they make a boo-boo and find they are lifting both legs they should stop the action in a heart beat.

Then there was the Vuna incident. That should have been a red card in my book, and therefore automatically reviewed by the Commissioner. IIRR the Commish can call players to account regardless of what the officials did. If he does Vuna should get a decent stretch in the cooler.

Not to the point, but what a poor footie player he is. He hasn't improved his rugby nous at all in the last 12 months.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Thompson is some player. Clan are at another level when he's on the park.

I can see him being a regular fixture in the ABS now that Kaino is gone.

However Rebels just didn't seem to want to know in the 2nd half. Delve aside, they went missing upfront and they really seemed like they had no appetite for the battles.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I sat down to dinner....when I came back it was 24 12 and the rebels were gone. Is there a conditioning issue - because they sure seemed to be able to match them in the 1st half.
Of course there was small matter that it should only have been 12-7 at the break by virtue of the 1m forward pass: there was no excuse for the officials missing it since the passer was standing still.
JOC (James O'Connor) was very sharp at 10 - but no in a classic 10 style!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Vuna should get a decent stretch in the cooler.

Not to the point, but what a poor footie player he is. He hasn't improved his rugby nous at all in the last 12 months.
He's got more toe than a roman sandal...what do you expect from a mungo?
Saffy was impressive, however.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pretty disappointing from the Rebels. They seemed reluctant to play any rugby.

They just kicked it away, didn't compete at the breakdown and just sat on their heals and tackled.

Now this may be controversial but as far as I care JOC (James O'Connor) simply ain't a 10.

One of the GR&G podcasts had Dwyer talking about the characteristics of a quality 10. My mediocre summary was that a decent 10 is all about making the players around him look better. JOC (James O'Connor) tries to make something happen and if unsuccessful, give it to someone else. He needs to learn real quickly to facilitate those around him or shuffle back to 12. Cooper at his best last season at 10 made those around him look great as he underplayed his hand. His show boat stuff was generally on counter from 15 coming out of defence, not at 10 in phase play where he counted numbers, directed play and moved the ball.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Disaapointing for the Rebels to be right in the game at halftime and then blown away in the second half but it is no shame going down to the Highlanders. Bloody good side, particularly with Thompson on the paddock, and I really like the look of Smith, the halfback.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I think some team penalty needs to be imposed for mindless kicks, it's bloody frustrating.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
atrocious second half.
do not understand how lloyd's was a yellow. he brought him down with control and landed him on his back.
vuna's tackle was just plain dumb and utterly pointless. the play had moved on, the ball was gone and then he lifted. there is no point to that except to take yourself out of the play. he'll be gone for a few weeks for sure. if lloyd is suspended though that is a joke.
vuna looked lost out there IMO.
as he'll be gone i really hope inman or mortlock are back soon. can push mitchell onto the wing.
Saffy is fantastic. delve solid as always. mostly liked chamberlain.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One of the GR&G podcasts had Dwyer talking about the characteristics of a quality 10. My mediocre summary was that a decent 10 is all about making the players around him look better. JOC (James O'Connor) tries to make something happen and if unsuccessful, give it to someone else. He needs to learn real quickly to facilitate those around him or shuffle back to 12. Cooper at his best last season at 10 made those around him look great as he underplayed his hand. His show boat stuff was generally on counter from 15 coming out of defence, not at 10 in phase play where he counted numbers, directed play and moved the ball.

This is an excellent way of putting the concept of a No 10. Australians do not like their No 10s in this character, historically. We are very attracted to the bright and shiny No 10 - truth is that we produce a lot of them:QC (Quade Cooper), KB (Kurtley Beale), and now JOC (James O'Connor) are all tremendously gifted attacking footballers but not of them is a No 10 in this mould.

Status
Not open for further replies.